FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Someone tell me what I need to hear.

Author Topic: Someone tell me what I need to hear.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I need you all to tell me, repeatedly, that sometimes it’s more important that young people do things themselves then that the things get done perfectly.

The middle school youth fellowship painted the new youth room last Sunday. They had a good time, which is important. They are proud of their new room, which is important. One of the parents and I sneaked in today and touched up some of the worst spots (like where someone apparently thought the purpose of taping was to hold the window frame to the wall and overlapped the area that should have been painted by about an inch and a half [Roll Eyes] ), which is less important, but made me feel better. Citra-solve will probably deal with the places that they managed to get paint on the baseboards, ceiling, cabinets, floor, and window frames, in spite of the extra-wide masking tape and plastic dropcloths. That is very important. (It’s especially important that this happens before the church custodian sees it. [Wink] )

But someone needs to remind me again about the importance of the youth feeling “ownership” in their space, and all that stuff. ‘Cause right now, I really need to hear that.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
dkw, it is VERY important that young people feel a sense of "ownership" in a space so that they can respect it and call it their own.

(There, how was that?)

Seriously, I'm proud of you for retaining your cool and allowing the kids to do that. They'll remember it forever.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh.

People, stop giving me these misleading titles. And here I was all set to reassure dkw that she is my Big Daddy.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. My daddy would have beat me for being so careless and then sent mr back to re-do the job correctly and with more care. That would have encouraged a sense of ownership. [Eek!]

Seriously - I think it's great for kids to have hands-on growing experiences, but I think you do them no favors by fixing up/cleaning up behind them. With ownership comes responsibility. What have they learned? It's okay to goof off and do a sloppy job because the adults are going to fix it all up anyway.

I admire your patience!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
A painting job done with love is a wonderful thing. It's beauty outshines any drips, splatters or missed spots.

You are not only allowing them to make the room theirs -- making them more likely to look forward to spending time there, because it's THEIR room -- but also teaching them to believe in themselves. Too many of us have a little voice in our heads convincing us that if we can't do it perfectly, we ought not do it at all.

(((((dkw)))))

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] I did make them re-do everything I caught before they had to go home.

Thanks everybody. Youth work is not my calling, but it's part of my job. I love the little critters, but sometimes they just wear me out. I guess it's good for me though -- reminds me why I have so much respect for teachers and full time youth workers.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail]

As I said, your patience with them utterly amazes me!

[Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
It's very important that the kids have pride of ownership of their room, but as Shan said, with ownership comes responsibility. Paint that is allowed to dry on wood surfaces is hard to get off without harming the wood's finish. They don't have to do it perfectly, but they should do it well.

You handled the situation in exactly the right way, which is no less than I would expect.

I have to admit - the thought of all that paint over all of those surfaces is making me a little nervous. Stupid OCD.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[S]ometimes it’s more important that young people do things themselves then that the things get done perfectly.
True dat.
quote:
I'm proud of you for retaining your cool and allowing the kids to do that.
Me, too.
quote:
You handled the situation in exactly the right way, which is no less than I would expect.
Yup.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...

I think you handled it very well.

I wonder, however, did ALL the kids think they did a good job? Or good enough?

The question would seem to me to be whether or not there is another lesson to be learned here, and whether that lesson is as important as the sense of ownership?

For example, a job done well the first time is less time consuming than fixing mistakes in a poorly done job. Taking the time to work on it the right way will save in the long run. Surely our personal growth is the same way? I find myself going back and fixing various shortcuts I've taken in my own life. Am I the only one?

Oh well...

I'm not critiquing your handling of it all, Dana. Far from it. My calling doesn't lie in that direction (critiquing people OR dealing with kids).

But maybe some of the kids would be interested in learning to do the job better???

Would they get more out of it?

Glad you made it through and didn't just blow up. That would certainly have been the wrong thing. For sure.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.