FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Vána Joins the Job Hunt

Author Topic: Vána Joins the Job Hunt
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Friday I made the decision (with a lot of help from Lime) that I will be leaving my current job by January 1. Even if it means taking a waitressing job at that point, before I find something full time.

I am happy with this decision, even though it scares me a bit.

Also, I'll be seeing if I can cut down to 35 hrs/week as of Thanksgiving.

My dad has a friend who went to the same college I did who said that if I was interested in selling securities, I should call him. What do you guys think? Would I be miserable? Should I call him to see what it's about, at least? I don't know what securities even are, really, but...I do like to learn things. It'd be another office job, though. But...I don't know. Maybe I should at least call the guy and see what it would be like. Have an interview or something. What do you think? Is that anything nearing a good idea?

Also, I'll be calling the library, or going down there (not sure which, yet - maybe call initially to see if they even have any prospects of hiring anyone?). And perhaps the pet stores in town. I'd like to see what one has to do to learn to be a dog groomer - it was fun to watch them working when I was in the pet store over the weekend.

But really, I have no good ideas of what I'd like to do. But it's important that I connect somehow to the job - I don't feel like I'm actually useful here, and it really gets to me. I feel like I'm just wasting time. I want someone other than my coworkers to benefit from what I do. I need to feel that my work is important in some way.

If I didn't have to work, there are tons of places I'd be thrilled to volunteer for. But, of course, they're not the sorts of places that have very many paid positions. Like, I volunteer at the Japanese gardens in town, but I was originally hoping to get a job there. Animal shelter? Couldn't handle being at a regular shelter, and the no-kill one operates almost entirely on a volunteer/donation basis. Wildlife conservation? I'll be making a couple of calls, but they're almost always asking for volunteers, too - the few places that we have around here, anyway.

I just don't know what to do, and I'm hoping that maybe some fresh ideas can be found among the ranks of Hatrack. I think maybe I've been thinking about it too hard and too long, and need to take a step back.

Does anyone have any advice at all?

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
You might set a different date as a goal, either earlier or later. January is right when a lot of seasonal workers re-enter the workforce, so even more temporary jobs like waitressing could be harder to get.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
And you definitely do not want to sell securities. You'll hate yourself, and all your friends will start to avoid you.

Wildlife conservation's a great gig, if you can get it, but you're still stuck with the "volunteer/donations only" problem.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second the caution from Tom on the Wildlife positions. They are slim to none. There are some good fellowships and checking with the DNR is a possibility.

Wisconsin DNR Sorry, couldn't find the IL employment, but if you replace the wi with il you can get to the il dnr's main page.

Check with a local college or university to see if you could find an extension position there. Also, state parks, the town recreation division, etc.

Good luck! Hope you find something you like!

Edit: I'll email you some of my resources. Perhaps you'll find something among the links.

[ October 27, 2003, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to work in conservation, volunteering is a necessity to network yourself into a job.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

Yeah, I figured that would be an issue, Storm. That's one of the reasons I'm volunteering at the gardens - to meet people, and just be involved in life there, in case something comes up.

But I need a paying job, obviously. It's just coming up with a good idea.

Or, you know, winning the lottery (I already missed out on marrying a rich man [Wink] ).

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have you all know that we've already won the lottery.

Granted, we only got the powerball and $3. But we won, right?

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

[Razz]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.