FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rant: I HATE MY SCHOOL.

Author Topic: Rant: I HATE MY SCHOOL.
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
A little background: I go to a small private Jewish high school. I've been going to it since I was in kindergarten, and it was all right for elementary school, but ever since I started middle school it's been getting progressively worse every year. (Don't ask why I didn't switch schools - that's a whole other story...) So I've basically had one foot out the door since eighth grade...

Anyway, my economics class got into it today about the war in Iraq. And every time I tried to make a point, several people would say, "You're just an Arab. You're anti-American." (I am neither of the above.)

This pisses me off for two reasons. One, I hate it that every time I try to make an argument, I am labeled an Arab and my views are dismissed. Two, their choice of "insult" really bothers me. To them, I guess, Arabs are the epitome of all evil. [Roll Eyes]

And this isn't the first time this has happened. Except two months ago it was "Arab-lover," said in the same tone as a similar phrase with a much uglier first word. Now I've been upgraded (or downgraded, as the case may be) to just plain "Arab." Still said in the same tone.

The vast majority of my school (with the exception of a few friends) believes that all Arabs are monsters who want to kill all the Jews, and as such should be pushed into the Mediterranean. Never mind the fact that few of them have ever actually met an Arab. They absorb this view from their parents and from the school itself, because the administration and many of the teachers hold the same belief. So to them, this is accepted fact, and they can't imagine how anyone (I) could think otherwise.

It's the same with most other issues. My school is one big homogeneous lump. Everyone (with the exception of my friends and I) has the same opinion on pretty much everything. They're perfectly content living in their little bubble of sameness. If they listen to the opposing view at all, it's usually just because they think it's outlandish and want to hear just how outlandish it is. But in most cases, my views are categorically dismissed for the sole reason that I'm the one expressing them. Sarah the Arab-lover. [Mad] [Mad]

It drives me nuts. I'm trapped in this insular environment, surrounded by idiocy and narrow-mindedness, day in and day out. I want OUT of this place! [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

129 days till graduation... [Wall Bash]

~Jane~

[ October 23, 2003, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: JaneX ]

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

- posted      Profile for Wetchik   Email Wetchik         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Jane.... [Frown]

I'm really sorry you have racist people at your school, and don't kid yourself, what they are doing is racism to it's ugliest extreme if they think that all arabs should be blown up or pushed into the Mediteranean(sp?).

I would stand by you if I was there, even if I disagreed with your economics(the class you were in [Smile] ) just because it seems like everybody there is such a prick.

I hope it all turns out okay for you. I suggest writing letters to the heads of your district. This is abuse, and if the teachers or district officials do nothing mail the state government.

[ October 23, 2003, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Wetchik ]

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Sarah)))
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

*cough*privateschool*cough*
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

Yeah, sorry, I forgot to mention that. *edits*
Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. That really sucks. [Frown] Isn't there anyone you can get to back you up? What about your teacher?

Edit: Didn't notice the part about the administration and teachers the first time around.

[ October 23, 2003, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Miro ]

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
I've met you Sarah, and you do not look like an Arab to me.

I look more like someone of middle-east descent than you do.

Why do they call you that? Don't they know that you're Jewish?

Do you want me to take care of em?

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

Yeah, they know I'm Jewish. They're Jewish, too. They're just being obnoxious. [Mad]

~Jane~

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man. Sounds like they make the high school I went to look open-minded and liberal. And that takes some doing. [Frown] At least I never got called anything significantly worse than a liberal. [Razz]

(((((Sarah)))))

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
That's terrible! I would be glad to get out too! I say, stick to your beliefs and maybe lodge a formal, polite, written or verbal complaint with the head of the school. Some one there must think the way you do and it's time some one tackled such an obviously ignorent problem.

(((JaneX/Sarah)))

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Jane you should point out to them that if they believe that all arabs are monsters and should be blown up or pushed into the sea, then they are no different than the Nazis. They have forgotten the one lesson they should have learned from the halocaust.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

Good point, Rabbit. But I'm not even going to go there with my class...It's pointless. [Roll Eyes]

~Jane~

Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
They were saying these things in class? What did the teacher say?
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd bring up the statement about their blanket beliefs being as bad as the nazi's or militant muslims just before graduation and really piss em off...

Then again, I was always pissing people off in school, so my advice may not be the best to take.

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmn... Sounds a bit like my old high school... I am so glad to be out and away. Of course, when *I* did it, I did it on purpose to try and make people think outside the box, or just to plain piss them off.

My roommate and I belive the same thing: That middle schoolers (and to a degree high schoolers) should be SHIPPED TO AN ISLAND AND THE SURVIVORS ARE ALLOWED TO BE INTERGRATED BACK INTO SOCIETY.

And now, a message from my roommate:

First of all, I was in a Private Catholic School, but I arrived at the worse time, 6th grade. Like you, I found that EVERYONE knew EVERYONE else and EVERYTHING about them and everyting went one way. Narrow minded, ignorant people they became and only this happens at 6th grade why? I don't know. Sara, my only friend told me that in P-K and up to 4th grade was honky dorky, everybody happy, they were one big happy family. 5th grade came and so did the stereotyping and the narrow-mindedness that has corrupted these preteen adolecences. They will only see one way and that is their way and there is nothing that anyone can do about it. They have named you as "The Arab Lover." Well, since they came up with a name for them? Just an idea, but hey don't get your hopes up, I mean I lasted three years and my situation then is not the same as yours, but I can relate. The mentality is just a waste of your time to get angry over. Soon, High School will come and then they will be judged too...BY UPPER CLASSMEN! I escaped that mentally and went to High School where they said PRAYER IN PUBLIC SCHOOL!!! I was VERY mad, I'm a freakin' Catholic and I was ashamed and embarrassed by that act of that student who lead a CATHOLIC prayer over the intercom and said that the war is ABOUT PROPHETIZING!!! *sigh* Mentality of ignorance goes to ridiculous lengths I know, but that's life. Grab a book, lose yourself from reality and you could do what Sara and I did get two composition books, make up names for you and everyone else. And MAKE FUN OF THEM! Make sure the composition books are the same that when you switch no one will know who or what you are talking about if anyone finds it or steals it. It's a big stress reliever.

... Is it safe? Okay. ::hugs sis-in-law-to-be:: Chin up, girl. After grad, you don't have to see them ever again.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be in such a hurry to leave. Once you're gone, that'll just make it all the more homogenous.

Plus, for every person like you saying it, I guarantee you there are a couple other people thinking it but not saying it.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Be careful what you say in these composition books. In my career, I have seen a bunch of people (almost all girls, btw) get in pretty serious trouble over silly things they wrote in such books.
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
... Is it safe?--Mayday's roommate.

Weird that this is the same phrase the crazy Nazi dentist (Laurence Olivier) keeps asking Dustin Hoffman in The Marathon Man.

Looks to me like you have 3 options, Jane:
1)keep your head down, don't make waves, avoid conflict until you graduate. Don't express controversial opinions unless asked directly, and even then, tone it down for your audience. The safest and easiest course.
2)Pick your battles. Make sure you back up anything you say with facts, arguements and principle. If you feel someone is expressing stupid arguements or hateful sentiment, call them on it. Be prepared for backlash.
3)Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead! Express yourself honestly whenever and wherever you feel like it. Risky but intellectually honest. Many will consider this approach rude or at least insensitive.

It's hard to say which approach is best. When I was your age, I probably used option 2 or 3 mostly. But I love to argue. [Big Grin] For you (without knowing you other than reading a post here and there) I'd say options 1 and 2, but be polite and respectful to your teachers, even when disagreeing with them. Remember what I hope you've learned from Hatrack (as I have)--try to attack arguments on their merits, not the person directly.

Anyway, don't worry. Most teenagers are arrogant in their beliefs ( I know I was) and trying to fit in. This will change for you and many of your fellow students as you get older, and for them, (hopefully) more accepting of alternative beliefs.

Morbo [Smile]

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
:: hugglez sis ::
Just a bit longer sis. College is close.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
"My roommate and I belive the same thing: That middle schoolers (and to a degree high schoolers) should be SHIPPED TO AN ISLAND AND THE SURVIVORS ARE ALLOWED TO BE INTERGRATED BACK INTO SOCIETY."

Good plan Mayday. [Big Grin] But you can't stop with kids. Better do it to all the bueracrats and just about every group of people. 'sides maybe hatrackers [Blushing]

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

quote:
My roommate and I belive the same thing: That middle schoolers (and to a degree high schoolers) should be SHIPPED TO AN ISLAND AND THE SURVIVORS ARE ALLOWED TO BE INTERGRATED BACK INTO SOCIETY.
I don't know about that, because then you would just bring back the most belligerent, strong ones that killed everybody else. [Wink]
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Jane, I'm glad you've only got 128 days till you get out of the homogenous, conservative, anti-Arab, repressive, sorry excuse for a secondary educational facility that you're in. But I'll warn you: choose your college very wisely. Otherwise, you'll get stuck in a homogenous, liberal, anti-Jew, repressive, sorry excuse for a higher educational facility.

This will do far much more damage that a bad high school will.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not a good plan, actually. You'll get rid of all the Piggies and Simons, and leave only the Jacks. [Wink]

Also, it's not middle schoolers are the only ones like this. Adults are just the same, only they are more sophisticated about it.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
((((((((((Jane))))))))))
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] that STINKS! I suggest hiding in corners and jumping out and yelling boo at them. A perfect solution for the harms.

Just keep thinking about college. Or have a crazy screaming psychotic episode in the middle of class

[ October 24, 2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Toretha ]

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

quote:
Not a good plan, actually. You'll get rid of all the Piggies and Simons, and leave only the Jacks.
Tresopax, that's what I meant by:

quote:
I don't know about that, because then you would just bring back the most belligerent, strong ones that killed everybody else.
[Taunt]
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you could balance your classmates' cruelty with the old truth that stupidity and cruelty ain't strange bedfellows, for what it's worth.

In other words, openly relish the fact that they live Ben Franklin's old saying, "Better to be silent and be thought a fool than speak up and remove all doubt." They're idiotic bigots, unfortunately, and while someone more altruistic than me would say, "Try to change their minds," I say laff at `em, ignore them when you ain't laffing, and otherwise put games on your graphing calculator like I did;)

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Ought to figure out a way to do the opposite: get rid of the most ruthless ones. Maybe have the most popular and biggest bullies (when those are different) elected each year between 6th and 12th grades, and ship them off. [Smile]

I don't think I should've read that novel the other day with the 'winnowings' and strict population controls. [Eek!]

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.