FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » where is the god of fairness?

Author Topic: where is the god of fairness?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine has two parents. One is horribly and abusive, the other is sweet and kind and does everything she can for her kids, including protect them.

The mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. Just found out she might have a year left of her life. [Frown]

There's more.

I have an eight year old client that was just diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. It's growing fast. He's already lost most of the use of the left side of his body.

[Cry]

wtf?

This is the unfairness of life that makes no sense at all. Why is the good parent dying and leaving my friend with the crap parent? Why is this eight year old kid getting stuck with this? [Mad]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

My sympathies, mack. I'd hug you, but I know you think I have cooties . . . [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
(((mackillian)))

[ October 22, 2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: eslaine ]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Relax. It's all part of His plan.

[Wink]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
Frisco's right. It's all God's fault.

[ October 22, 2003, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Pat ]

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry mac. [Frown]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't feel sorry for ME. It's this kid and my friend's mom and my friend and the kid's family...
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Check. But is it okay if I worry about you, too?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

I too am sorry for the family.

A guy who is a reporter for the LDS Church News who works in the building with me and I socialize with regularly lost his wife to cancer about a year ago. Last weekend, he lost his oldest son in a car accident.

I feel horrible for him, but he's doing remarkably well, considering.

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
*shakes fist at injustice*
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
*Is real glad it ain't him*
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

It's been my experience that everyone gets their turn.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Mac, what can I say?
The universe ISN'T fair. There is clearly no justice in this life -- despite, say, claims made by Ryan Hart -- and you and I won't know until we die whether there's justice in the next.

Entropy is an inexorable force of nature. All we can do is build little grass baskets up against the tide, and remember that being alive is, for the most part, actually pretty enjoyable.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

[Group Hug]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

Wow Tom. That was a pretty good sermon there. You ever thought of going into the priesthood?
Megachirops
Member # 4325

::nods vigorously in agreement::

"little grass baskets . . . "

Pretty!

[Smile]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Look Tom, I'm a professional pessimist, and you need to cut down on the cynic juice.
Seriously, I think you're a great guy and all, but your comment pretty near wrecked my day [Wink]

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I'm in the profession of finding validation in everyone and everything.

With this, it just plain sucks. Tom's right.

Megachirops
Member # 4325

quote:
I'm in the profession of finding validation in everyone and everything.
Are you, really? Or are you in the business of finding coping skills and perspective?
mackillian
Member # 586

And you are apparently in the business of making snide remarks.

I meant validation in the clinical sense--the kind where you find the strengths in clients and situations and point them out. I also meant it as a double meaning for the connotation of validation.

So throw some more snide remarks.

Megachirops
Member # 4325

Hey. Chill.
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you want to go the religious approach, if the good woman passes away, she'll likely go on to heaven, while the abusive one still gets a chance to redeem herself. In contrast, if the abusive one were dying now, she wouldn't get that chance and might be condemned for eternity.

That is part of the idea behind Christianity, right - that death shouldn't be considered horrible if you are going on to heaven?

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, for what it's worth I've thought about the same things but based upon different situations.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
well, i don't believe life ends when we die, and i don't think this part of our existence is where the justice comes into play.

thankfully, there are people that, despite all the injustice, all the pain, all the ugliness- are willing to thrust their hand through the darkness and help those around them.

i still have hope.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack,

I hope your friends & clients don't believe in God, or anything like that.

They'd think He was out to get them, or something.

Much safer to believe in an uncaring universe, and the luck (or lack thereof) of the draw.

But, still: hugs for your friends/clients/you.

--Steve

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.