FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Zamfir and Tonto's Giant Nuts

Author Topic: Zamfir and Tonto's Giant Nuts
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ona real Soundtrack kick at the moment. [Big Grin]

The artists in the title of this thread are featured on my two current faves, KILL BILL and Once Upon a Time in Mexico (respectively) .

Not surprisingly, both Tarantino and Rodriguez have some cool taste in music. What DOES surprise me, though, is that both of these are largely instrumental, or at least limited to a couple of vocal numbers. The rest is just cool music. The hubby has been whistling "Twisted Nerve" for days. Funny how it is so catchy but manages to sound sinister, too.

I haven't had a soundtrack on this heavy a rotation since O Brother Where Art Thou?

So, what are your favorite soundtracks?

(and Pssst! Pat-- what's my rating for the subject? I always try for an eye-grabber, but it's been a while since you let me know if it worked. [Evil] )

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Lord of the Rings! [Hail] Howard Shore!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
The nuts reference was classic, although it doesn't approach your 'shaved scrotum' title of long ago.

That one still brings a tear to my eye.

[Smile]

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Last of the Mohicans
The Power of One

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
(yes, the title was pretty shocking [Wink] )

I agree with Shigosei:
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers
Personally, I like TTT a little better. That's all because of the rohan theme. Rohan is awesome! I've always loved their culture, even before the movie!

Also:
Gladiator (really, realy, really cool!)
Braveheart
Titanic
MI:2

I also want the Godfather Sdtrk.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Lord of the Rings, and Last of the Mohicans are two of my all-time faves, too. Moulin Rouge is also fun and catchy.

I also have Edward Scissorhands, but it wears on me after a while.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

*Hugs Pat*

Thank you! [Smile]

Tonto's Giant Nuts is Johnny Depp's band. They did a track on the soundtrack called Sand's Theme, after the character he plays. It wasn't used in its entirety in the movie, but some of the tune was used in 'The Man with No Eyes' and that bit when he gets out of the taxi and starts dressing for battle.

Kinda cool to develop your character AND his musical theme, no?

Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm listening to Pirates of the Caribbean a bunch recently. The marching band I'm in (University of Oregon) is playing music from it for our halftime show.

I've also got Les Miserables in every once in a while. Not exactly a movie soundtrack, but close enough.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Did I actually list Titanic?!
I didn't mean to!
Use use that CD to fall asleep! [Wink]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Oshii Mamoru's Avalon has a very nice soundtrack. So does Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis. I haven't watched 28 Days Later yet or heard its soundtrack, but I hear it's really good, and hey, it's got Godspeed You! Black Emperor on it, so it gets my vote.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I also really like the music from Cowboy Beebop, though I don't know if that counts, since it was a series.

I also enjoyed the soundtracks for Desperado (lots of cool Mexican guitar stuff and generally cool music) and Pulp Fiction (Tarantino is pretty good at juxtaposing music with action in a way that makes it interesting).

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
The soundtrack to Walker by the late, great Joe Strummer.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of both Monsoon Wedding and Bend it Like Beckham (in the latter, Hindi meets disco!)

But then again, I'm a dweeb..l

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Chrono Cross
Last of the Mohicans
Braveheart
FOTR, TTT
X-Files movie (my dirty little secret [Blushing] )

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

And, as much as I hate to admit it, *whispers* (Tomb Raider).
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Annie...

[ October 20, 2003, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Shh.. don't tell anyone. Just listen to this.
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I really really love The Matrix: Reloaded soundtrack....the second disk. I"m not a fan of the FOUL language, but it's fun stuff.

As far as instrumental soundtracks, my absolute favorite composer is Thomas Newman. The two bestest EVER that he's done are Little Women and The Shawshank Redemption. I just love 'em!

I also *mumbles* own the soundtrack to That Thing You Do and I LIKE IT darn it!! [Big Grin]

Eruve, I agree with you completely about TTT soundtrack...the Rohan theme just makes everything worthwhile...and it also makes me cry. I love it!!

[ October 20, 2003, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
X-Files movie (my dirty little secret )
Are you kidding me? I love Mark Snow. And the orchestral soundtrack he did for the movie was much better than the TV series soundtrack that came out (although that one would have been good too if it didn't have Mulder and Scully talking over every track.) I'd had that soundtrack, but I lost it. I'd been looking for it for a long time, and I just found it on my birthday at a used CD shop. It was the best birthday gift I got, and I bought it myself.

Anyway, there are some more good recommendations here.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahem.

I enjoy the Malcolm in the Middle soundtrack.

That's right.

I listen to it often.

And I only skip one song: the Hanson one. *shudder*

That is all.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
The Killing Fields -- Mike Oldfield does the soundtrack; pretty chilling, since it's about the war in Cambodia and the Khmer Rouge...

The Thomas Crown Affair
Almost Famous
The Big Chill (someone has to mention it!)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
The Chrono Chross soundtrack is awesome...and darn it! I'm gonna get the Kill Bill soundtrack as soon as I have some money...!!
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

[Big Grin] <---- enigmatic smile that has nothing to do with soundtracks.
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] <-- Stupified reaction to Olivet's sweet thread-titling skills.
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
The Malcolm in the Middle soundtrack is awesome!

[Smile]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

You know, I just realized that the reason I found KILL BILL (the movie) vaguely unsatisfying had nothing to do with THAT movie at all.

I left the theater thinking it needed more short people with huge blue eyes, and more giant spiders. [Big Grin]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Star Wars soundtrack.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I used to play that constantly when I was 7 or 8 years old. That is a fabulous score.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.