FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » They've rebuilt me. They have the technology. They made me stronger, faster...

Author Topic: They've rebuilt me. They have the technology. They made me stronger, faster...
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not faster. Thanks to an event I can attribute only to being smited by God, I now have the first sprained ankle of my life, and for the first time in a long time, I can gimp into a room and know that everyone in there, including most grandmothers, would take me out if we came to a fight.

But yes, look! Eddie's returned! Because Eddie has a new computer! Cheer, children! But Eddie has no working audio. Cry, children. Someone help Eddie figure out what the hell's going on with his sound?

That is, between all the thankful cries that cheer my good health and celebrate my return to Hatrack, bringing class and grace to a forum that's been steadily declining since I last posted. Or something along those sincere lines.

But the audio, yes, the ****ing audio. My soundcard's an Audigy 2, since I wanted the best possible for my music collection. The speakers are made by the same company (and insist they're compatible with only the Audigy soundcard), and I've cheerfully nicknamed them "Creative Inspire 6.1 (6600)" speakers, despite their actual title of "doorstops." (The whole thing with "6" in the title, as in "6.1" and "6600" seems to stem more from the fact that there's a subwoofer and six satellites rather than any actual advancement in technology. For example, the same speaker technology, but with one subwoofer and two satellite, would be the Creative Inspire 2.1 (2200) and so on.)

Now, I plug the damn thing in the way it says to. It doesn't work. I think the sound card's working, since I downloaded Winamp and ran an .mp3 through it to see if the visualization would reflect the changes in the melody. It does. So Winamp can tell music's playing, for whatever the hell that's worth. I called Dell customer service, and an attractive-sounding Indian woman very apologetically became bewildered at my insistence that there isn't any volume knob on the speakers. I insisted that because there isn't one. There is a bizarre little plug-in place titled "Volume Control, but the only thing that goes in there is the thing that you wind up plugging headphones into. And while the device you plug headphones into does have a volume control, no matter what volume I keep that at, still no sound plays. I don't get it. Is anyone familiar with this? Is this a recreation of the Truman show, and you're all sitting around laughing at me scrutinizing a small subwoofer in vain hopes that I missed something the past 500 times I did an inch-by-inch search? Or what?

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
There goes the neighborhood. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha!

While typing that last bit, we at Eddie HQ performed an experiment in removing the headphones from the volume control, and have come to the conclusion that we are freaking idiots. So I guess the only real purpose of this thread now is to be thrilled that you get to read more Eddie love than you've been able to in the past, what, three weeks? Four?

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Back, Lalo.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha, Mack! you are quick!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
*Plugs a pair of headphones in Lalo's Volume Control*

Ahhh, silence.
[Evil]

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Eddie. Welcome back, dude. [Smile]

mack, that is disturbing on so many levels. [Eek!]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
My neighbor, (the one with the antique gas pump in his driveway for those of you who have been to my house) has a very similar scarecrow in his yard for the moment. I haven't made up my mind whether it is more or less disturbing than the gas pump.

AJ
(glad you got your speakers working Eddie!)

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.