FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Donnie Darko

Author Topic: Donnie Darko
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this movie, and I must say it's one of the wierdest, creepiest, and coolest movies I've ever seen.

Man, how they tied in everything at the end completely caught me off guard. It was genius.

If you haven't seen it yet, go rent it. Now.

I mean it. Go.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Strange you should bring up the movie -- I also saw it for the first time in the past, what, 24 hours. It's very good -- it passes what Sean and I call the "masturbation scale"; meaning that if you can't even think of getting it up within three hours of watching the movie, it was a good one.

It's going on the "truly good DVDs" shelf, up with American Beauty and Good Will Hunting, despite my lingering doubts about going full-fledged screaming-preteen-for-Justin-Timberlake fan on it. I'm not as impressed with Donnie Darko as I am with other of my truly good DVDs -- though maybe it's just a one-viewing impression which would be revised with repeated observation. Still, I enjoyed the hell out of it. You have decent taste in movies, dude.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
American Beauty and Good Will Hunting were awesome movies, yes.

Two other ones I liked were Skipped Parts and Rodger Dodger.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Donnie Darko is on my list of movies to see. It has been for some time, but as I do not own a TV or DVD player that is hard to procure. American Beauty was a movie I thought I would not like, but I was wrong. I still think Kevin Spacey is not that great of an actor, yet every movie I have seen that he is in I have loved, so who knows? Probably says more of me than of him.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Just when I thought we weren't going to see any more Donnie Darko threads. . . .

Anyway, it is excellent. Yes.

Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I will never look at a bunny rabbit the same way again... [Eek!]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
i loaned our copy to hobbes.

have you watched it yet?

what i love is that there is no way to spoil it. you could tell someone everything that happens and it would make so little sense to them that it wouldn't matter.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Watch Donnie Darko the same day as Sexy Beast. It'll freak you out.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
How odd, the sexy beast, donnie darko combo, they both have that bizarre spectre in it, as well as some absolutely amazing acting. Loved Darko, saw it for the first time about eight months ago, does the DVD have terrific extra's?

I don't know how truly great Sexy Beast was, I can't get a figure on that, but I do know that Kingsley's performance was the most riveting acting performance I've EVER seen, I've never seen anything close to that intense. He didn't win any award for it, did he? I don't know how he couldn't but I'm pretty sure he lost the Oscar to someone else, maybe he got an Indie Spirit Award?

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, he lost the best supporting actor to this guy who plays a senile old man in his movie, I think. Still, his performance is mesmerizingly destructive, like a train wreck. I love British gangster flicks.

And I just exposed a few of my friends to the "Donnie Darko Experience." Cellar door.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
liked the movie. need to see it several more times to make sense of the end. point: really unique and innovative website.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.