FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » iTunes, the death of the record store, and why I may never design a U2 album cover

Author Topic: iTunes, the death of the record store, and why I may never design a U2 album cover
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I purchased my first entire album on iTunes today, the new Barnaked Ladies release Everything to Everyone. While I enjoyed getting an entire album for $10, it also filled me with a sudden horror.

How long does the CD have before it goes the way of the 8-track? And what does this do to my beloved independent music stores like Cactus Records and Rockin' Rudy's?

And what about my all-time graphic design dream of designing a U2 album cover? I may never get to hold another precious liner notes design in my hands again!

I suddenly realized that my entire future in my beloved print media is a fallacy - it's all goint to be digital in a year or two! My future is entirely restricted to web design from this point forward!

*heaves with sobs*

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you'll find the physical medium retains it's appeal with many, particularly due to the high bandwidth high speed transfer of moving a cd to another player.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, I felt exactly the same way when I left newspaper (print) design 6 years ago for Web design and software usability (human factors engineering).

But the newspapers are still around; books, magazines, comics, too. And I miss print.

Have thought of returning. Difficult career move to accomplish with any grace. One feels a little like one stumbled on a crack in the sidewalk, and then tried to pass it off nonchalantly as the start of a little jog (apologies to Ellen Degeneres).

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Technology is only improving though, and it's only a matter of time before high speed connections and airports are the standard.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
So, is the new Barenaked Ladies album any good?
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Surprisingly not.

It's a lot like Maroon. What happened to the days of "Brian Wilson," "Be My Yoko Ono," "The Old Apartment," and "It's All Been Done?" Come on boys, you can do better than this.

The chimpanzee song is good, and there's a track called "Upside Down" that I like, but generally, it left me rather nonplussed.

[ October 17, 2003, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Annie ]

jasonepowell
Member # 1600

- posted      Profile for jasonepowell   Email jasonepowell         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree Annie, I think it's quite excellent, notwithstanding "Shopping". "War on Drugs" is one of the best songs they've ever written, and quite frankly, the rest of the CD is top notch.

Of course, I should mention that I am a BNL Fanboy of the highest order, so all opinions are highly subjective.

Posts: 1281 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

ARe you calling me a BNL fangirl of a lower order?
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

- posted      Profile for Caleb Varns   Email Caleb Varns         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps just a BNL fangirl of the higher order?
Posts: 1307 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Ok, I can handle that.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can't relate to your dream of designing the cover of a U2 album, but I have to say that I like this iTunes revolution. I've almost exclusively used iTunes and my iPod for the past month, and I never want to go back. I thought I would hate the fact that I don't get a CD case or booklet when I buy music from the iTunes Store. But I don't care. I love it.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Annie)))))
don't feel bad.

I love BNL! I want their new album. I have Stunt, and I love it. One of my favorites was When You Dream. It's a beautiful song.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

That's their best song ever, Eruve! I like to play it on my guitar - acoustic - and sing it like a chick song. Great stuff. [Smile]
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the music playing in the background...it sounds like a baby's music box or something. (I can't think of what it's called...)
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.