FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Victory for the whales?

Author Topic: Victory for the whales?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently they [the U.S. Navy] have to limit their sonar use. But there is a loophole that says nothing applies in times of "war". Then the definition becomes what is "war". If they consider the Iraq occupation and terrorism to still be "war" then none of it matters.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/10/13/whales.sonar.ap/index.html

Anybody have more info on the definition of "war" for this case?

aJ

[ October 14, 2003, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am Blubbering with joy on this announcement.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
At first I thought the "they" who have to limit sonar usage referred to the whales. I wondered why the whales would have a loophole about war, and how they would even know there was a war on.

Then I figured it out and felt [Embarrassed]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a war when it's convenient for it to be a war. Duh.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw, I'm going to follow you around Hatrack to get your reactions to ambiguous posts. [Smile] They are so much fun.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

sorry, I guess I'm good (or bad depending) about ambiguous postings. I was thinking of that thread that Rabbit had a while back on the topic of the Navy and whales.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea how the DoD will interpret this, but it would be logical to assume that the "war" would have to include the high seas as a battle ground. Now as far as I know, the terrorists do not have Nuclear subs and neither does Iraq. Active sonar is really only useful for tracking subs. Surface ships can be seen very well by radar, and even passive "listening" sonar can be used.
Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Just to let you know Robespierre, I really like you because you make me think outside my normal thought patterns.

To play devils advocate again though, when has the Navy(or greater miltary bureacracy) ever been accused of making sense or being logical about anything?

I have no confidence this ban will ever be enforced, though I wish it would be.

AJ

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't we ban radar? I'm sure it causes birds to fly into building. [Roll Eyes]

[ October 14, 2003, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: newfoundlogic ]

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Iraq is not a war, technically it is a military operation. Is a congression bill to enact us into a state of war.

-Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Or if not birds, probably bats. [Big Grin]
AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

The miltary's definition of "war" and congress' definition of "war" can be two very different things. Vietnam anyone?

AJ

Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Vietnam wasnt a war, we couldnt send more than a certain number of troops.

-Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
What many people are easily forgetting is that when you ban sonar use or any amount of time you are essentially banning it, period. Why? Because in order to operate it you need to train with it. You can't just say we'll ban sonar during peacetime and when war comes around bring our the sonar sets. This doesn't just go for new recruits but for every sailor in the Navy, the Marines, and the Coast Guard. Try driving a car on the highway without having driven for two or three years, and that wouldn't be a fraction of the problem the sonar operators face. In a real war everything is different and unlike driving a car learning how to use sonar isn't a one time thing. It requires constant practice in order to hone your skills.

Now you might say that the sonar being banned is just one specific type that really isn't needed, but since that's the case we might as well do away with it entirely instead of just during war time.

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
Newfoundlogic, it is possible to train on sonar without actually using it. There are many very effective simulations that the Navy can use.

I do understand the disire to get real world expirience when involving national defense issues however. Is it possible that there are area's less likely to have whales that this technology could be used in?

As for how the ban will be enforced.... how did we find out about this problem to begin with? Did the Navy bring it up? I would guess not, they don't usually publicize facts that cause them grief.

Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of CS notes here. (CS NOtes--Notes of common sense, not politically motivated one way or the other).

1) This is not a ban on all radar and sonar. It is a ban on a specific type of sonar, a new high definition, extremely powerful systems that has proven to cause the death of sea animals including whales and dolphins.

2) Training on any new system not only trains the personell in the intricacies of a new system, but works the kinks and problems out of the new systems, problems that are not known to exist until real life trials are made. As such, completely disallowing any tests on this system would result in an unreliable system.

3) According to the article, there are some areas where the equipment will be trained on. They are limiting it to areas of SE asia where the animals most likely effected by this type of Sonar do not live.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

How did we find out about it? Dead whales turning up on beaches in odd places with melon damage, where whales ecolocation is centered from.

I'll try to find links.

AJ

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Simulators are great. They really are. However, I wouldn't send out a tank crew to fight a battle just based on simulations unless you want wooden boxes delivered to some widows. Furthermore, unlike with other simulators this one would require constant practice with every single sonar operator in the Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard because the simulator would be the only thing keeping them up to date. A tank driver only needs a simulator once in his career and then he's off to practicing in real tanks. Again If you can't actually use the sonar during peacetime there's no point in using it at all.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a war whenever Ahab's hungry for whale-jerky
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Whale-jerky sounds dirty.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie!

*tackle hug*

Where you been, sistah?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Being a carnie is surprisingly time-sucking. [Smile]

I have a little time, but not much. Miss Hatrack, though.

(And whale-jerky does sound very naughty.)

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
We miss you too!

(((((Ralphie)))))

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
As to how we found out about it, it's been in the news several times in the last year in my area. An abnormal number of whales, mostly gray whales I believe, have been found beached on shores. Someone happened to notice that the dead whales appeared soon after the Navy had tested their new sonar. There's been some serious scientific study happening since then, and evidently the environmentalists have proved that the new sonar is the cause of the whales being stranded and dying.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.