FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The guy my street is named after -- Hey ZAN!

Author Topic: The guy my street is named after -- Hey ZAN!
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
NAGLE, JAMES C. (1865-1927). James C. Nagle, engineer, son of John and Ellen Mary (Smith) Nagle, was born on October 9, 1865, at Richmond, Virginia. He took an engineering degree at the University of Texas in 1889 and later attended the University of Pittsburgh and Cornell University. He was assistant engineer for the Austin and Northwestern Railroad in 1888 and in 1889-90 was topographer for the Texas Geological Survey. He was chief engineer for the Brazos and Burleson Railway in 1894, assistant chief engineer for the Houston, East and West Texas Railway in 1899, and expert in irrigation investigation for the United States Department of Agriculture from 1899 to 1902 and again in 1908. Simultaneous with his other activities, Nagle was professor of civil engineering at the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (now Texas A&M University) from 1890 to 1913, dean of the engineering faculty from 1911 to 1913, and director of the Texas Engineering Experiment Station of the college from 1917 to 1922. From September 1, 1913, to August 31, 1917, he was chairman of the Texas Board of Water Engineers. His Field Manual for Railroad Engineers was published in 1897. After leaving College Station, Nagle and his wife, Emily (Davis), made their home in Dallas. He died on April 6, 1927.
quote:
The organization now known as the Texas Section of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) was started in July of 1913 by a group of seven engineers after a Texas Good Roads meeting in Corpus Christi. They reconvened at the North Beach (Breakers) Hotel with a plentiful supply of beer to discuss how to set up such an organization. This group consisted of. Terrell Bartlett, San Antonio; John B. Hawley, Fort Worth; J. Milton Howe, Houston; Robert I Potts, College Station; James C. Nagle, College Station; Julian Fields, Denison; and J. F. Witt, Dallas. Most of these men were members of ASCE. At least three State or Urban associations of members of ASCE had been formed in previous years and five were formed during 1913. The Texas organizers were mostly consulting engineers but included a couple of college professors. Following the meeting in Corpus Christi, invitations were sent out announcing a Texas meeting to be held during the State Fair of Texas in late October. Charlie Davis of Fort Worth got information about forming a group from ASCE while on a trip to New York City. A meeting to formalize the organization was held in the Old Red Court House in Dallas on October 31, 1913. J.C. Nagle was elected the first president and J.F. Witt was elected secretary.

Engineer, liked beer a lot... Did soil work... Interests included roadways...

I don't think he was a "Gators" fan, but otherwise, this could be Zan in a previous life!!!

[Angst] [Eek!]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hate to break it to you but that description could fit a lot of early engineers. He was more illustrious than some, but the beer thing is definitely something in common except for the teetotallers.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zan
Member # 4888

- posted      Profile for Zan   Email Zan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sshhh...

I was a Gator fan back then too, but since I was teaching at Texas A&M, I couldn't really say anything about it.

Posts: 221 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm considering dressing up as a Gator fan for Halloween. :-)
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.