FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » No, I don't think hatrack is going down the tubes, but I do have an idea.

Author Topic: No, I don't think hatrack is going down the tubes, but I do have an idea.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about a lot of things lately, and one of those is my complete lack of interest in Hatrack. I just have no desire to read any threads- and I realize why. Speed.

I just can't keep up with the rate threads disappear from the front page. I have work, friends and other obligations that keep me from sitting in front of my computer for hours at a time, and, if I do, I usually go to sites other than Hatrack.

I try to read threads on the HR Forums, but I get annoyed with the fact that stuff I care about or invest interest in disappears in a few hours. There are times where I don’t come back to Hatrack for days, and I don’t want to hunt down threads that old. Some threads just keep pushing others down. A lot of this has to do with what I have dubbed as "über-fluff."

Now, I'm a lover of fluff. I hate serious discussions and can rarely stomach anything relating to discussion of religion and politics. However, I like quality fluff. I want to see a thread that has a lot of thought put into its elusion of reality. I want to see true geekdom at work on hatrack more often.

So, certain threads that invite monosyllabic responses and fragmented replies would find it difficult to exist under the auspices of my proposal… which is, a minimum character limit on posts.

I just think that this will slow Hatrack down a little bit. I’m sure it will be just as active as before, but it will give people more reason to think about what they say before they say it and to really give a rip.

Now, discuss. <evil grin>

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Segregate the dobies! And the games! And stop starting so many new topics! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
At first I thought at the end of your first paragraph you meant the jatraquero Speed. I was a little upset. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hear! Hear! It is dificult for those of us limited to using our PC's at work for work only. [Razz]

(Was that an appropriate number of words or syllables - or do you need more, PC? j/k )

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting speculation. I like it in many ways, but find it too confining in others. Sometimes a rolling head smiley says more than paragraphs!

Hatrack has been slowing down on its own lately. Less traffic (I assume that this will change). The search function works only nominally (there is so much to search through!) but is usable if you are specific enough. As everyone knows, I have no qualms about bumping things back to the first page. If you don't have anything valid to add to your last comment, then "phantom bump" it.

Yeah, it can be tough to roll back through the pages, but I do it constantly if there are no topics that I wish to discuss.

This topic, however, struck my fancy at this moment. Thanks Primal Curve.

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
No.
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh... very ironic ladyday! [Big Grin]
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Annie- I thought he meant the drug.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with him. I am on the computer everyday but I just don't know how to respond to some threads. Oh well.
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I know, Hatrack seems to suck up time. And it annoys me that people start so many threads, even though I have started a few. [Wink] If you're a "fluff-lover" does that include the hug thread? [Big Grin]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Statler
Member # 5795

- posted      Profile for Statler   Email Statler         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this is different....
Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.