FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Thinksync v1.1 is LIVE! (or, check out MY website)

Author Topic: Thinksync v1.1 is LIVE! (or, check out MY website)
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally, after years of working and teaching in the industry, I've put together my own site. It's to promote my web design/print/video/consultancy business.

At this stage, it's very much a "version 1.0" site. In fact, it should probably be beta. I'm not doing any search-engine optimisation on it yet, or promoting it in a big way until I get it going completely.

But if you feel like moseying over and finding out if it breaks, you'll find it at: http://www.thinksync.com.au

EDIT - have just done a major "Look & Feel" revision, again, it's nowhere near final, more me just playing around trying to get closer to what I want.

[ October 09, 2003, 03:14 AM: Message edited by: Troubadour ]

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
Nifty Site! What'd ya build it in?
Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like he built the site with postnuke, and I'm not sure what he did the graphics in.

*applies for job*

Actually, I'm semi-serious there. If you ever need to get someone to do a bit of coding in php, java or a number of other languages (and I do database work as well), put my name in the hat.

And I'm inserting here a plug for drupal as a consideration if you're ever looking to migrate your site to a different CMS; it's much cleaner to extend with code, and has fewer security holes, though it doesn't have as widespread support as postnuke.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
The graphics were all done with Photoshop, templates were put together with Dreamweaver, then the whole lot was PostNuked, as fugu rightly guessed.

The graphics are only temporary until I can do something really special, I just wanted to get it out there as soon as it was functioning. Took my a while to get my head around PostNuke, but everything seems to be running quite smoothly now...

And fugu, sure! That's how I'll be working initially anyway. I have a designer who contracts for me now, as well as some 3D and video people. I didn't use any of them for the site, as I can't afford to utilise them myself. So I'll keep you in mind for any tricky coding problems that occur.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Guessed, nothing [Monkeys] . I took a look at the source code [Wink] . I already suspected it from the layout (and the well-warranted decline in popularity of phpnuke), but why guess when you can be sure [Evil] ?

Oh yeah, and I'm cheap to hire. I need to build my resume, and my current job isn't paying all that greatly (it's tech support), so I have a remarkably low opportunity cost for a bit of coding work [Smile] .

[ October 02, 2003, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

Well I'll keep that in mind fugu. In a few weeks I'm going to be putting a proposal to a company that I do work for. Every year, I update their website for them, and with Postnuke, it wouldn't need to happen anymore.

But they may want an e-commerce system. While there are some available for PN, I haven't tried to integrate them yet, so I may need some help there.

Troubadour
Member # 83

Just edited this to say that I've just completed a major "look & feel" renovation of the site.

It's nowhere near complete, I'm just playing around towards the kind of style I want to work with.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Interface criticism: on your splash screen (which, by the way, should probably not exist), I kept thinking those chiclets were buttons.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Love the site! But Tom's right, I almost thought the thing wouldn't work with my browser, cause the splash screen "buttons" weren't working. The "enter" text is hard to find.

Beautiful graphics... love your work. [Smile]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

Yeah, the splash screen is just temporary at the moment, by the time I'm going after clients it will be in Flash, with the background moving and the chicklets clickable and floating gently over the background.

But good criticism!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.