FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oredr of letetrs - Or finally justification for poor spelling!

Author Topic: Oredr of letetrs - Or finally justification for poor spelling!
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I got this in an email and found it pretty interesting.

Instructions: Just read the sentence straight through
without really
thinking about it.

Acocdrnig to an elgnsih unviesitry sutdy the oredr of
letetrs in a wrod dosen't mttaer, the olny thnig
thta's iopmrantt is that the frsit and lsat ltteer of
eevry word is in the crcreot ptoision. The rset can be
jmbueld and one is stlil able to raed the txet wiohtut dclftfuiiy.

[ September 11, 2003, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: solo ]

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!

That's awesome! It worked!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
It would have worked a little smoother in a serif face, but yeah, pretty cool!
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

It worked for me too. I wonder how well it will work for some of the Grammar Nazis around here...
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
That's great!! How long did it take people to perfect that sentence?! I think I'm going to send it in an email to everyone I know just to bug the crap out of them. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
So... now I dnot need to slepl crtrocely?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
It's amazing how often we aren't really 'seeing' something. Our minds fill in the blanks on things more than we realize, such as with the above example.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Context is everything. If there was just a random list of words with the interior letters rearranged, I'd be much harder to correctly guess them.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that "without difficulty" should be changed to "without much difficulty." I could read it, but not nearly as fast as I could have read something that was spelled correctly. Also, those words aren't nearly as jumbled as they could have been (compare to Teshi's "slepl crtrocely"). I wonder if this came from a real study or if it's just one of those made-up things that circles the net (the poor punctuation makes me think that it didn't actually come from the university).
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Very true Tick. What we perceive is only loosely based on what is actually there. I've read some fascinating studies on the subject, but unfortunately I don't have time to find them and link to them at the moment.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh, I assume it isn't from an actual study. It is pretty cool though.
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I could read it at full speed. Jon Boy, perhaps you are hard-wired to check for spelling and punctuation mistakes than some of us? [Wink]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this explains speed reading too, to some extent. You know how it is after you read a book for the first time. You can read it through again in half the time. You just pick up stuff here and there and it still feels like you read the whole thing. The best part is, you still find new stuff in it the tenth time you read it!
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

I read it at pretty much actual speed as well.

I assume it is just one of those things that gets emailed around and not actually from a study.

One interesting thing is that I am currently reading the novel "Flowers for Algernon" and I noticed that in the first few chapters where Charlie has not had his operation I was reading noticably slower. I don't know if this is because I was trying to read it and pronounce the errors intentionally (to simulate how Charlie wrote and presumably spoke) or if it was because I had difficulty reading it with all of the errors. I think it is probably a combination of the two.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.