FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Barber Shave

Author Topic: Barber Shave
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering, although I suspect nobody here but me shaves with a straight razor, have any of the men here gone to a barber for a shave?

I know some guys think shaving is a no brainer, and others have problems with it. I belong to the second group, because my whiskers are so tough, and by beard grows in weird directions on my neck.
So some time ago, I went in and paid $7 for a shave. There is a feeling of luxury that shouldn't be missed. Shortly after, I started using the straight razor. Haven't used anything else since, although it did take some time to develop the skill. (nicking yourself with a straight razor is an entirely different kind of thing than nicking youself with a safety razor, but mostly the skill is in keeping the blade sharp).

For those who wonder where this came from, check out Ralphie's girlie thread.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toni
Member # 5620

- posted      Profile for Toni   Email Toni         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you suggesting the straight razor for the bikini area?

[Smile]

Posts: 72 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
As I said in the girly thread: no, the gymnastics required would be highly impractical, if not genuinely dangerous. If someone wants to be shaved by a barber down there, that's their business.

I was just curious to know if anyone has had a barber shave. They still list them with their prices, at my barber, anyway. But he says he they don't get much call for them anymore.

Richard Burton said that the ultimate luxury was a straight razor shave by a woman. I suspect that might have been the motivation for the scene in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" where counselor Troi shaves Riker while they are in a hot tub together.

I don't know that being shaved by a woman is any better, but the barber shave was awesome. (shaving myself with a straight razor merely gives me a better shave, but it doesn't feel "special")

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the most sensual movie scenes I have ever seen was the haircut and shave scene from Phenomenon. I love that movie anyway, but that scene is just amazing. IIRC, she uses a straight razor . . .

*goes off to find her tape of Phenomenon*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of interest, Geoff, how much more time does it take to shave with a straight razor than with a safety? I've always used safeties with little trouble, since my facial hair's always grown in the right directions and in the right patterns, but it'd be nice to shave without having to wash off the damned things which clog halfway through every stroke.

Also, I'd just love knowing that should I ever shave drunk, I run the very real risk of killing myself.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Who's Geoff?

It takes the same amount of time, unless you need to sharpen the razor. Actually quicker, for me, since I don't need to do it twice.

And while I've never shaved while drunk, that "very real" possibility is pretty slim. Remember, I do this because I cut my face less than with a safety razor. I'd say it's only a possibility while you're learning to shave, and then only if your razor is dull.

There was also a great scene in "All in the Family" with Archie shaving with a straight razor while fighting for space in the mirror with Micheal. You keep thinking that Archie is going to kill himself, but shaving comes so naturally that he just keeps going. Obviously Carroll O'Connor really shaved with a straight razor, whether he used a prop for the scene or not.

[ September 07, 2003, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Arnold ]

Lerris
Member # 3530

- posted      Profile for Lerris           Edit/Delete Post 
I have never had an actual shave from a barber with a straight razor, though a couple of the barber shops that I used to go to would shave the back of your neck with a straight razor. I have to agree that the straight razor leaves a really nice shave and there really is something about the process of the shave.

At one time I got into a discussion with one of the barbers about using a straight razor and his main thing was that you had to maintain the blade. He had the big strap on the side of the chair and he did something with it routinely. So what sort of maintenance is required for the blade? I have always thought about getting a straight razor, but that talk has held me off.

Lerris

[ September 08, 2003, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Lerris ]

Posts: 81 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

The less maintenance, the better. I've heard claims that a good barber strops his blade about every 5 to 15 shaves. I do mine every other day or so.

Stropping takes about 30 seconds, honing can take a couple of seconds to hours, depending on how badly you've damaged your blade. Many people claim you should never hone your blade, but I haven't been so lucky.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.