FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » psst, guess what! I'm in COLLEGE!!!!

Author Topic: psst, guess what! I'm in COLLEGE!!!!
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
My first week at the Y is almost over, and it rocks. I dropped my HEPE class (PE) and didn't do too well on my Jazz Ensemble audition so I have exactly fifteen credit hours. I couldn't imagine doing the 18 I'd originally planned on. The class taking up most of my time is first-year Arabic. They recommended two hours of study a day, and I have to have almost three plus time in the computer lab to understand the classwork. But It's a really cool language, so I can't complain too much. "Ahlan wasahlan" means Hello/Welcome, and if I say that to you, you say "Ahlan biiki" which means Hello back to a girl.

Ready? Ahlan Wasahlan!

:::waits:::

Okay, maybe later. Anyway my other classes (Honors Book of Mormon, Philosopy, Creative Writing, and Middle Eastern Studies) are really good. We're doing poetry first in my Creative Writing class, which I'm not a big fan of, but it's still very enjoyable.

Oh, and when I was walking to the computer lab earilier today, I saw someone with a black shirt that said "Trogdor the Burninator" with a sketch of a dragon on the front. I thought I'd mention it.

I know JonBoy, Mrs. Jon Boy, and hansenj are around Provo. We must do lunch sometime. Only somewhere I can afford, like the Cannon. [Big Grin]

That's all for now. I have Arabic in fifteen minutes. Issalaamu 'aleekum!

--Ashley--

[ September 05, 2003, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Professor Funk
Member # 5608

- posted      Profile for Professor Funk   Email Professor Funk         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahlan biiki, Sarcastic one!

Arabic and Middle Eastern studies? That sounds awesome. I learned a bit of Arabic from those stupid conversational tapes once; nothing I can remember. I love, though, how all the words are different depending on whether you're speaking to a man or a woman. Is it the same way in Hebrew?

Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing to be too sarcastic about yet? Cool.

Have fun there. [Smile] Just don't have too much fun there! [No No]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Sarcastic...

I have a military Arabic dictionary... It's packed waiting to move to TX, but maybe you might need it???

[Razz]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife met some folks from the mid-east on the net and spent time trading language lessons with them. I'll try to get her on and you two can talk about how great I am without me understanding what wonderful words you are using so I won't be embarrased.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay I'm going nuts. On my way to class I saw someone with a white tshirt that said "Trogdor the Burninator" and a sketch of a dragon on it. I thought this was just an alias of Pat's, and it was his D&D identity or something. Am I clueless or what? Do I just need a good Burnination?

Oh, and thanks for the help. I'm actually catching on pretty well, but I get lost in the spoken language during class. It'll come.

Issalaamu 'aleekum!

--Ashley--

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to be in college, you have to know about this. Study all the others as well.

Trogdor

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Okay, I get it now, as well as Trog's references to burning a straw hut.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few other Y students on Hatrack, including Damander (hansenj's lurker roommate) and Dante. I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting. As soon as things get a little settled down here, I'd love to have another Provo-area get-together.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the Y?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Brigham Young University.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
It's for young, Christian men. [Razz] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

where they meet nice Christian girls. Like me. Cuz I'm a girl. And a christian.

[ September 06, 2003, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I was at the BYU bookstore last Monday, and they had some of the coolest art prints for sale. They had some royally cool Dali posters, which I would have bought had I not spent the last of my cash on a dozen Krispy Kremes for a dumb boy.

The point of this story? It just made me realize that BYU people are cool enough to like Dali, and thus cool enough for me. [Smile]

OH! Also - I went to the BYU Art Museum and LOVED IT! Check out the "Saints and Angels" exhibit by James Christiansen. Wickedly warped stuff.

That's all for now.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

I saw that poster sale and saw some cool stuff, but, sadly, I had no money. I'm still waiting for my paycheck that my parents were supposed to send me.
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, ok. [Smile]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
sarcasticmuppet, that's awesome! My dad speaks some Arabic, and we went to Sinai for a few days this summer, so he was able to test that out. [Wink] I would say he did a pretty good job.

And Middle Eastern studies, that's really cool too! *comes from the Middle East*

Have fun! Good luck!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I just got called to be the new Gospel Doctrines teacher in my student ward! What am I going to do?! My DAD taught Gospel Doctrines!

[Cry] :::inadequate:::

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

[ September 07, 2003, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Don't worry about it, Ashley. I had the same calling my freshman year, and I was also very scared about it. In a freshman ward, everyone is new to having real callings, and everyone works together. Since everyone else is as new as you are, they will be impressed that you can even get up in front of the class and talk. Do you get to teach with someone? That made things easier for me. I had a great time with that calling. [Smile]

*feels nostalgic*

I just got my new calling today, and I'm the Ward Choir Director. [Eek!] Kinda scary, but I'm SO excited. It's the calling I've always wanted. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought you were a student, muppet, not a teacher...and what is a student ward? *the outsider looks clueless [Confused] *
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

I am a student, but in my student congregation, I've been asked to teach a Sunday school class. I'm teaching by myself, but I'm alternating weeks with someone else that hasn't been called yet. I called my parents, and my dad's jealous. GD was his favorite calling. They basically told me to suck it up and do the best I can. [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.