FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OMG, We're flying freaking Hippy Air!

Author Topic: OMG, We're flying freaking Hippy Air!
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Was printing out itineraries and such for our flight tomorrow (well, today, actually) when I came across this page:

http://www.flysong.com/home/index.jsp

Click on the phrase "Song Deli/Bar" near the bottom of the page . . .

Organic Yogurt and Granola? Farm direct organic vegetables? Organic Valley Chicken with Earthbound Organics romaine? Organic Valley Cheese?

wtf?

And why is nobody else outraged that now they're charging passengers for the inflight crapola meal and the self-advertising playing cards?

And what's with the pillow for $5 and the blanket for $10? They won't even lend it to you anymore, you have to buy it?

When I get to California, will I find that I have to rent sheets at the hotel? Will my rental car not come with spark plugs unless I pay extra? Will restaurants charge me a fee to view the menu?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Icarus. Isn't capitalism wonderful? [Razz] Haven't you noticed that many restaurants don't serve salad as part of a meal anymore - you have to pay extra for it? Or is that just a California thing?

It reminds me of going to Wendy's and asking for ranch dressing rather than barbeque sauce for my chicken nuggets and being told that the bbq sauce was free but if I wanted ranch instead (not along with, mind you), I would have to pay extra for it. Same thing happened at Denny's once. I ordered a hamburger and fries, and asked for ranch dressing for my fries. I could get mustard, ketchup, or mayo for my fries at no extra charge, but they would not serve ranch dressing for them unless I agreed to pay for it. I asked to see the manager. When she confirmed the policy - saying something about ranch not being a "traditional" condiment for fries - I told her that a large number of the people I know eat ranch on fries, said something about the condiment police, and let her know in no uncertain terms that I would not be patronizing her Denny's again, and I haven't.

I don't know what the problem was either place, other than a bald attempt to charge extra for things that should properly come with the food being served. I've never been to that Denny's again, so I don't know if they ever changed their policy. I filled out a comment card in the case at Wendy's, and the next time I went in I was given ranch dressing for my chicken nuggets at no extra charge.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Very few restaurants around here charge for salad. Recently, I noticed that TGI Friday's does, but most places it's free. I've never run into the ranch dressing thing, but then again, I use ketchup just like God intended. [Razz] (Dressing is much higher in calories!)

What I have noticed, along a similar vein, is that Taco Bell will give one or two packets of sauce for free with your meal, but may charge you for more. I think that's absurd. Certainly people like me, who don't use extra sauce at all, more than compensate for the occasional person who wants three or four packets. I've started thinking about asking for two packets, and then leaving them lying around somewhere . . .

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, and we Wisconsinites get crap for eating lots of cheese. Do you know what goes into Ranch dressing? I'm just wondering.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Primal Curve - No. And don't tell me. (Actually, yes, I do. I just wanted to say that.)

I look at it this way - I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, or chase sleazy men. Well, I almost never chase sleazy men. Gotta do something dangerous once in a while. So, every once in a while I'll have fries and ranch.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What I have noticed, along a similar vein, is that Taco Bell will give one or two packets of sauce for free with your meal, but may charge you for more.
That's weird, because all the Taco Bells I ever go to have sauce sitting out on a counter where you get as much as you want. I haven't been lately though, so maybe it's changed.

I've heard about charging for inflight meals, but I didn't think that applied to long flights. You should stop and get a sub or something on the way to the airport and make all the other passengers jeolous.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of condiments,
tomatoes on your car anyone?

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
But order Chinese delivery food for dinner and you'll get eight to 10 pounds of little condiment packages. Really, for dinner for two do I need 36 packs of soy sauce, 22 packs of duck sauce and an astounding 55 packs of the really bad Chinese mustard?

But no napkins...

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I order Chinese, they give me 1, maybe 2 packets of soy sauce. Don't they know I need more soy sauce than that?! I wish they gave me more soy sauce, like Sopwith gets.... [Frown]

I've never experienced Taco Bell sauce stinginess. They always give me 4-5 packets in my drive-through orders and if I go in, I can grab as many as I want. Maybe it's a regional thing - like soy sauce stinginess!

Icarus - What do you expect flying an airline called "Song", with a motto of "Harmony in the air"? [Wink]

[ September 04, 2003, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't knock organic until you've tried it.

-Bok, who has lived in a Metro area for too long

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Speaking of condiments, tomatoes
on your car anyone?

Hmmm...what we do here in Ohio for entertainment. This is very scary. Mt. Hope is just north of my house. Maybe I'd better stop hanging out in the cornfield. These Amish must have grown better tomatoes than I did. I won't have any to throw at cars this year, and what I did get is small...too much rain and cold weather!

So, why did this guy drive back and forth along the road in his big car so many times if he didn't want tomatoes on it? Maybe he just wanted an excuse to shoot someone, especially an Amish someone. This guy deserves to be fed to the hogs. I hope they catch him soon.

AJ, thanks for posting. I don't bother with the newspapers around here, so I would have missed it.

Rain

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard on the radio a discussion about a woman who complained so much about the cost of additional sauce at a fast food restaurant, that someone called 911 on her. I can't back it up with a link though.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Then you're a liar.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I've worked in restaurants that would charge for extra dressing and not for extra condiments. Here's why: condiments are much, much cheaper than dressing. In one restaurant where I worked, we used to have to fill the ketchup bottles from the huge industrial vat, which was very cheap. On the other hand, we made the ranch dressing in the restaurant.

Restaurants have to work to keep food costs down, otherwise they'll have to raise prices and we'll have threads complaining how expensive it is to eat out.

Also, ranch dressing is not a condiment. It's a dressing. [Wink]

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Ranch dressing is bad for you? No wonder my health has been deteriorating recently. I've discovered that it's so good on so many things...

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.