FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Has anyone here ever bicycled across the US?

Author Topic: Has anyone here ever bicycled across the US?
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking into a bike trip from LA to NY. Hopefully, I'll be able to stop off and visit the Hatrackers in the middle states -- but it all depends on what route I take.

I'm not nearly suicidal enough to head across Nevada, Arizona, and the Southwest in general. I'm thinking a route up the Pacific coast to Oregon, then heading across from there. Maybe I'll even escape the States from Michigan and enter New York from Canada.

My only problem is that I'm a complete novice when it comes to bicycling. I don't think I've done it since elementary school. I figure I'll learn as I go along, but that attitude won't help me when it comes to the crap I'll have to bring along with me. I.e. a sleeping bag, a tent if I can fit it, water, a wallet, and god knows what else. I'm fairly certain I can't bike with a backpack on, so I could really use some advice from people who've done this before.

Cough. Irami. Cough.

Also, if anyone knows a smarter route than the one I've tentatively proposed, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey if you decide to come through Southern Ohio let me know. I am sure you could camp in my back yard for a night. Or, if I convice the wife, even sleep on a bed or something.

If you plan it right next summer you could make OrneryCon III. [Smile]

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of bike do you have? You will also need to cart along all of your basic bike repair tools. At the very least, a patch kit, spare innertube and tire irons.

If you went up through washington and oregon, I would try biking down the columbia river gorge. I think there is a bike path there. You need to figure out where you are going over the Rockies in advance though. It can get quite hot in Eastern Washington and Idaho, and the towns are pretty spread out.

I'll do some online searching for you for bike packs. My aunt and uncle bicycled across Australia and I remember what their outfit looked like.

You will probably also want a couple of pairs of cycling shorts, in addition to packing extra socks and underwear. Cycling shorts have extra padding in them which definitely helps day after day in the saddle. If you don't break yourself in first though you are probably going to need a large container of Goldbaum and maybe preparation H. Your rear doesn't like sitting on bicycle seats for that long at a time without considerable conditioning.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/touring/campgear.htm
http://www.netpath.net/~veloman/equipment.html
http://www.downtheroad.org/Equipment.htm
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/subcategory.cfm?Cat_ID=3&Sub_ID=6300&sort=1&CFID=5682230&CFTOKEN=32836588

I'm sure you can search and find as much as I have!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Mark, if the Con's in early to mid-August, I'll make a stab at it. Actually, it may be a good idea -- if I stop in Ohio, I could make a quick run through Washington D.C. before heading back up along the Atlantic coast.

AJ, dude, thanks. How would one carry all this? Like I said, I'm fairly sure I can't bicycle with a backpack -- or, at least, not long and not well. Would I prop all this on the handlebars?

I'm not sure what kind of bike I have. I'm planning to use my brother's, but all I know about it is that it's extra-large for his size. It's probably a mountain bike, though I intend to travel by blacktop the entire way. (Just fired off an e-mail, should have an answer within the day.)

I can break myself in over the course of the next, what, eight months. I'm planning this move for the summer, so I've plenty of time to condition. Any specific exercises I should be trying? I assume I'll need a hard ass by the time July rolls around.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Well. Holy shit. Look at these goobers. That kind of ridiculous overpacking can't be necessary.

But hey, dude, thanks for the links. All I'll need is that little trunk-esque deal, and I should be fine. Owe you.

Lalo
Member # 3772

And damn.

Perfect.

Owe you a BIG one.

msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
No it is usually too hot in August to have a good party in Dayton.

OrneryCon is usually the second Saturday in June, but next year, 2004 it will be the third, which is June 19. If you can make it great, if not, still let me know if you are coming through the area.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

btw sorry I didn't directly link but at the minimum you need a rack and panniers

try browsing from this site http://www.performancebike.com/shop/category.cfm?Category_ID=17

AJ (who is female)

Lalo
Member # 3772

Thanks a lot, dude. I'll take further action once I know what kind of bike I have available.

And you may be female, but you're still a righteous dude. No matter what everyone else says.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

duh, should have realized you live in LA. Of course, everyone is dude there!

(I grew up in the little ghetto on the coast, Oxnard)

AJ

Lalo
Member # 3772

It seems the bike my brother has is an exceptionally good choice for the trip I'm planning -- if I get a lightweight tent and sleeping bag, and not carry too much other stuff, I think I'll do fine.

Bike specs:

quote:
Aluminum TREK. Large frame. Racing/Touring style, I think 14 speed.
White.
Would be a good choice for a transcontinental trip if you are not
carrying
too much stuff.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

this is my bike... eat your heart out...
http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/mountain/8500.jsp

I have the 1999 or 2000 model but it hasn't changed much.

AJ

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're planning the Northerly route, I'd stick to I-90... the passes are at their mildest that way. Any further south and you get mountain logged for way too long.

Plus, then you can stop and see me. [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.