FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Recommend a good web host. Please.

Author Topic: Recommend a good web host. Please.
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
What would I like on my websight?

1> a good amount of space, for images, video, audio and animation.

2> a good forum, like the grand one here at Hatrack.

3> All the jazzy stat trackers to let me know all the nerdy statistics that might possibly come along with tracking traffic.

4> A shopping Cart. People are going to want to buy my super T-shirts, who am I to say no? So I'd better be ready.

5> Blog-gy stuff.

Ummm...what else?

I'm looking to spend $100 or less for the year to get it started. Can anyone offer me good advice?

Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.

<<<T>>>

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
www.troublefreehosting.com

has all of that. Don't know the price tho.

And it's web"site" [Wink]

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not likely to find a host with a secure (SSL) shopping cart for $10/mo.

If you're comfortable installing your own forum (phpBB is super easy) and blogger (lots of good ones), and are willing to use something simpler like PayPal icons to sell stuff, I can offer you hosting in the $5-10/mo range depending on your space requirements. Fancy stats included [Smile]

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly OT: If I want to register a .ca domain and get associated hosting, does the hosting company need to be Canadian?

Granted, I'd rather get hosting from a Canadian company, but I realize that it may not be convenient.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ipowerweb.com

I use this service and I like it pretty well so far (mind you I've only been using them for a few weeks now). All of the accounts come with a phpBB forum, phpNuke and three different kinds of shopping cart. It's all pre-configured, you just have to click a link to activate the services for your site. If you buy a year at a time it's $7.95/month and the setup and domain registration fees are waived. Otherwise the packages range between $9.95 and $6.95 per month.

I also noticed that this site gives you a lot more bandwidth than most other hosting services, although the way my own site is going I certainly don't need even a third of what they give me.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm... they have no Unix servers and won't register a .ca domain. But I like the bandwidth. Of course, I won't need much bandwidth. All I really need is enough room to store my entire body of musical works with room to grow. And a .ca domain hosted on a Unix server (simply because I use Mac OS X).
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I like our own, llamacom.com. But it doesn't give you the BBboard or the shopping cart. However, for selling T-shirts, try www.cafepress.com.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother-in-law is running a business off of Mindspring. Last year she was DOA for over a month, and they didn't tell her. Her orders just stopped coming in. This year they were hit so hard by the last virus she hasn't been able to find her orders.

She want to change to a better--commercial grade-- web host. SHe has tons of content, though I don't know the actuall size at the moment. Any suggestions of where to go, or who to avoid?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Glob@t is pretty nice. My friend uses it and it's not too bad. I just wish it had shell access so that I could do more stuff. They have their own webmail interface and it's pretty good, but I was hoping to use OpenWebMail instead of SquirellMail.

Just for a little fun, check out the site I made for him. http://www.wandering-gyoza.net It's got a MoveableType back-end, a UBB messageboard, WebMail and a Gallery. It freaking rocks, man. [Big Grin] If only he'd use it more often. <grumbles>

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, THOR, Globat has everything you are asking for. No webhost that I know of offers the actual software you want (Forum, blog, etc) but they're really easy to install. All the instructions are included with the packages- usually.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.