FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » FANTASY FOOTBALL!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: FANTASY FOOTBALL!!!
Shlomo
Member # 1912

- posted      Profile for Shlomo   Email Shlomo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's baaaack! Hatrack lost the fantasy football trophy last year...Great Sayaiman of Pweb shocked everyone by going from 0-5 to league champion. Now, it's time for Hatrack to take the title back!

I'm getting a running start this year, so REGISTRATION IS OPEN EARLY!!!

League ID: 103680
Password: ender

We're going to have a competitive and fun league this year. But this can only happen if all who sign up stay active until the end. So, if you're going to sign up, you don't have to be good, but please don't quit at midseason...even if your team starts off 0-5...which is what happened to the defending champion. Never give up.

Tomorrow I embark on a journey to sleepaway camp from which I will not return for another month. While I'm away, the almighty fantasy football maven known as THOR will be handling all league-related issues. If you have any questions, comments, or just general chivalry, he's the one to talk to.

That'll be all. THOR, that's your que.

Posts: 755 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
oh man...Thor's in charge!

[Eek!]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww yeah. I've been waiting for this.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Saddle up to the bar and let me know what you're drinking.
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus...come on, boy. Don't be shy. Step right up, step right up.
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

One curiousity...are we dealing with defensive players this year? I noticed a few defensive postions available in the pre-rankings...
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

**bump-bump**

ditty-ditty-ditty

**bump-bump**

ditty-ditty-ditty

**bump-bump**

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes there are defensive players on the roster much to my dismay, however shlomo informed me that this will be a democratic league so speak up if you dont like it.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
policyvote
Member # 3044

- posted      Profile for policyvote   Email policyvote         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to introduce you all to the 2003 Burninators league champ:

ME! [Big Grin]

Actually, I'm really interested to see how this league goes. I was trying to cut my leagues this year down to four, but . . .

Peace
policy

Posts: 341 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
personally, id rather not deal with the defensive players, but thats just me.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I wouldn't worry too much about it, Brettly. With the new UBB version, the search actually works, so we can find the thread if we need to. [Smile]
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I am SO late! Well, this is what I get for sitting around without a computer. Bah. I'll just have to trade my way up [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

My Public league drafted today...can't wait for the Hatrack one! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

How are we going to determine draft order?
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely want to do this, but I've never played fantasy football before. Although I don't know anything about it, I favor playing with defenses simply because (as a former DT) that's the side of the game I watch with interest.

BUT

How do I sign up?

I followed the link, but I don't see where I'm supposed to go from there.

Help?!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
you have to go to yahoo.com then sports then fantasy tehn football signup then join existing league, then private league then type in the league id and password
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Sources that can help newbies

Websites that can help you prepare:

antsports.com:

It holds regular mock drafts that you can sign up for to test strategies. It costs nothing. They also have a forum if you have questions.

fftoday.com

Great forums with some very, very, very snobby guys in it. Be ready to be ripped if you ask what are perceived as "stupid" questions.

espn:

decent writers in the fantasy section, also contains the very valuable average draft log, which shows up to date rankings for up to 100 at every offensive position, accumlated via hundreds and eventually, thousands of drafts.

Cbssportsline:

has good writers with interesting idea. Beware the faulk strategy though, they prop it, and it's non-sense, in my view anyway.

footballguys.com

If you sign up for their mailings, you can get up to the date info on all the teams and nearly all the offensive players. Only problem is a week ago, someone hacked the site and sent a virus to all the people logged in, via email. If you didn't open it, you were fine (I didnt, because they'd never sent me anything bigger than 45k, so i was suspicious).

xpertleagues.com

also has average draft info collated from nearly a thousand drafts that can give you good insight on where guys are being drafted.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

Some questions about this year compared to last:

**Last year each team started two QB's. In my view it was a disaster, as there were 20 teams. It's the only league I've ever played in that featured 2 QB's starting for each team. Can we avoid doing that this year? I think it would be a good idea to avoid it.

**Last year Int's and Fumbles cost -6, again, the only league I've ever seen that in, and I've played in more than 20-25 leagues over the years. I think it's a bit much. Shlomo had interesting reasoning for it, but I still didn't buy it. It's not my place to design the rules, but in every other league I've played in, it's always -3 on interceptions or fumbles, never -6. Any interest in switching to that?

**For IDP's, will we be required to selected DL's, LB's, and DB's, or can it be from any position on defense?

I have more questions but I just can't remember them now, I'll have more later.

Btw, this year I'm Monkey Death Car, last year, I think I was my log in, graywolfe, unfortunately I had no QB's so I lost in the Semi-Finals, but still, not bad for someone without any QB's (didn't realize the league started two, before the draft, so I only landed Rodney Pete, and T. Dilfer, the latter immediately got hurt).

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Icarus.

In a rough breakdown....

It's kind of like this...

You get a team through the draft, (the draft is very, very, very important) and then each week decide who will start/play, and then those players score you points based on their performances in that weeks games.

Example...If Emmitt Smith gets 117 yards and 2 touchdowns and you started Emmitt Smith, you'll get 6 points per TD and about 3 points for the 100 yards performance, meaning Emmitt scored 17 points for your team.

OR let's say you start Ryan Leaf as your Quarterback, and he fumbles the ball three times, goes 3 for 17 with 4 interceptions, he's probably going to lose you about -40 points.

It's all based on performance, so the key is to start the best team of performers each week.

If you are interested in playing, and will play all year long, win lose or draw, by all means, sign up man.!.!

...we will answer all your questions and get you ready by the season start...

NOTE: BEWARE of Trading with Brettly10...after 2 years he has a reputation for gaining the most lopsided trades in Hatrack history.

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

I agree with The Silverblue Sun entirely for once and graywolfe there is now only one QB, if you want anything changed just complain and majority will rule, there will be a "D", a "DL", and a "DB". Any other questions might be able to be answered by going to the league settings.

[ July 27, 2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: newfoundlogic ]

graywolfe
Member # 3852

No LB's?

Btw, any idea when the draft is?

graywolfe
Member # 3852

Any word on when the draft will be and if it can be a live draft? I hate predrafting.
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

LBs are DLs. I don't care whether its live or auto but I just think it will be inconvenient for at least half the people in the league. Its hard to pick one hour when 20 people scattered across at least 4 time zones are all available to do a draft.
graywolfe
Member # 3852

Your name suits you. Evidently, my hamster in charge of running the logic wheel went out on a smoke break when I posted that here, and on the yahoo forum for our league.

The only bummer with the predraft, or my main one, is that I have little interest in QB's this year, I'm sittin on QB until the sixth or fifth round of just about every other league I'm playing in because of the depth. But if I apply that strategy in this league I'll probably land Jon Kant'na or some scrub like Kordell. So I can't do that.

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

So we've got about 16 people so far...
No matter what this will be competative.

I forget exactly when Shlomo is coming back, but I think it is the middle of August. We will draft soon after.

I feel your pain about wanting a live draft, but kids, as one who has worked with a film crew, a football team, and a band, the chances of getting 20 people together from all over the world for a 6 hour block of time is damn near impossible without paying everyone, and no one is getting paid, so work your mind out on the Pre-Draft Rankings.

NOTE: In the public league I joined, we just drafted and my team is sweet, sweet, sweet.

TheTick
Member # 2883

My public team looks pretty darn good, too. Marshall Faulk, Eric Moulds, Travis Henry and Steve McNair are my lead guys. I was really hoping to get Ladanian Tomlinson and Drew Bledsoe, but hey, what can you do?
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

My public team has Garcia, Williams, McAllister, Rice, Toomer, Booker, Shockey, Mare, and Miami. Who isn't a "lead guy" in that lineup?

By the way three spots still open in this league.

TheTick
Member # 2883

Well, my other starters are Peerless Price, Christian Fauria, Curtis Conway, Matt Stover and the Tampa Bay D, all of whom had great years of late. [Smile]
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

I'm not talking about my starters until the Hatrack league drafts. [Wink] [Big Grin]
TheTick
Member # 2883

Oh, there will be trash talking for great justice once we've drafted. [Wink]
graywolfe
Member # 3852

So apparently these public leagues house tens of thousands of idiots? You guys are getting 2 and three first rounders on your teams.
TheTick
Member # 2883

Public leagues house 10 players a piece, not 20 which ours will have. Leaves more talent available per team.
graywolfe
Member # 3852

How many teams per league? 12?
TheTick
Member # 2883

I meant 10 players per league, sorry. Teams are set at the default settings.
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Bump.
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Bump, still a couple spots left.
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

I can't wait until AFTER the draft, then we can start talking about the PLAYERS, ya know?

hmmmm....

<T>

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

NFL football season has begun.

I watched bits of the Cowboys Vs. Texans scrimmage, also I watched a few quarters of Bucs Vs. Jets.

[The Wave]

[Party] I love football [Party]

[The Wave]

graywolfe
Member # 3852

Better yet, not just American, but European football as well is just about ready to start. The EPL, La Liga, Series A, the Bundesliga, they're all lighting their engines and getting ready to start. Can't wait. [Smile] That being said, I definitely have a jones for Pro Football, the sporting landscape is so bloody awful from February to the end of March and again in June and July in non-World Cup years. One can almost smell the sporting landscape waking up in early August, or at least I can [Smile] .
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I just signed up The Cretans. Now I will need to know what the heck to do when draft time comes around . . .

[The Wave]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I can't wait, either. The Bills first string did well in a scrimmage with the Browns, and the new defense is coming together. I definitely expect better than last year's 8-8 record. Should be a fun year to be in Buffalo.
TheTick
Member # 2883

When it only snows 4 feet in winter instead of 8.
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooota.
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

I am so going to kick your ass.

I am so good at this game,
prolixshore/apostleradio dirtied his drawers, tucked his tail and ran home crying like a slapped baby.

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

I here by declare Brettly10's official name to be........

Mr. Bronze

..because third place is about as good as he can get.

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Um Mr. Bronze.

I won the gold in year ONE.

And in year two, I was going through a common law divorce during the draft stuff, this year, you'll be a bronzed smoked turkey, but I do count on you making some pretty crazy trades with the 5 year old children.

"How's about Troy Hambrick for Marshall Faulk?"

graywolfe
Member # 3852

You guys are pretty darn cocky. In my experience, this will be my sixth year playing, I've found that the best players generally make runs at the title and make the playoffs nearly every year, but they are rarely champs year after year. You need luck, smart drafting, good pickups, a nice fantasy schedule and bad luck for you're opponents to win a title. Luck isn't automatic, sometimes you have it, sometimes you don't.

Saiyaman (was that his name), didn't have the best team last year, but he won didn't he? He did a nice job rallying his team from a slow start if I remember right and got some good luck in the playoffs to go with his solid team. I had wretched Quarterbacking and blew my first two picks, so I was lucky to make it as far as I did (the final four).

This year I expect I'll make the playoffs again, but I'm not predicting victory, just a competitive, solid year, and hopefully a victory or at least a run to the final four or the finals. Final Victory is up to the fates, your brains can only get you so far in this game, eventually you need a little luck to win.

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Season is heating up.

Brettly I'm going to take great pride and pleasure in smacking your team of puffs into a fine unedible cream. I do seem to remember kicking you around like a deflated soccer ball during year ONE on route to my shiny hatrack championship, and I do it fair and square, unlike your take advantage of the children approach.

I'll make the playoffs, and Brettly, like calender clock work will suck the suckers and probably make the playoffs.

It's mostly about drafting, pickups and a bit of luck.

The draft is about 2 weeks away.

Get ready.

<T>

graywolfe
Member # 3852

I better start making my list then. And I'm agreed on QB's, we can't possibly be doing the non-sensical 2 QB thing again can we? That was insane. Hopefully they'll modify the turnover rules too, last year that was absurd.
graywolfe
Member # 3852

Yeah, but so what, why should turnovers ever be worth as much as TD's? When a team scores in the Red Zone, or even on a deep post, it's six points. When that same team fumbles at their own 47 yard line, that doesn't mean the opponents immediately get six points, or even will score at all.

I never understood his rationale for that. Interesting idea? Yes. But so is setting my hair on fire, doesn't mean I should seriously consider doing it.

That's my view, anyway.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.