FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The League Of Extrordinary Gentlemen (((spoilers, probably)))

Author Topic: The League Of Extrordinary Gentlemen (((spoilers, probably)))
unit 3000-21
Member # 5224

- posted      Profile for unit 3000-21   Email unit 3000-21         Edit/Delete Post 
i just saw this tonight, and i must say that i had a pretty good time. mind you, i did have pretty low expectations, so having a good time was rather easy.

it was pretty simple, not too well written, but well enough to remember a couple of the catch phrases (which dominated the movie). it was just genuinely fun to watch....just dont expect much, and you'll be okay.

i'm a very big fan of alan moore. he wrote the original comic, of which this story arc is not really related. he is a fantastic writer. (he also wrote the original story for "from hell," which was nothing like the movie, a genius weaving of fact and fiction, and whatever is inbetween). he also revolutionized comics with his run on Swamp Thing, and the first real deconstruction super hero comic, Watchmen.

i'd be interested to know what people who haven't read the comic felt about the movie, and obviously people who have as well.

im not going to post specific references to the movie unless others go to watch it, and feel like discussing it....

cheerio.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
I jusr felt like seeing what was on hatrack the day before I actually joined, and noticed that in the title it appears as if someone is trying to hug the spoilers. [Razz]
Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just trying to figure out how someone might spoil LXG any more than it did on its own...
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it on pay-per-view on Sunday. I hardly remember it, except I remember predicting everything that happened with Dorian Gray within a minute of his appearance on screen. Okay, so it was dumb and predictable, but aside from that I guess it was reasonably entertaining. :-p
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
????

This movie came out last summer. Why are we talking about it like it came out today?

It was my first date with someone----I have to agree that it was simply written, and okay as far as story line and action goes. Rather predictable. I'm a film student, so it just fell nice and neatly into the "forgettable summer movies" pile.

I never read the comic---but I must say it probably is much better than the movie. Sometimes print-to-screen conversions don't work very well.

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really surprised at the slams. I personally really enjoyed this movie. Enough to buy the DVD...

maybe it's just all the hunky guys in the film....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl has a point there. The guy who played Dorian Gray was delicious---even though he was not my idea of Dorian Gray (I'm thinking more blond and blue eyed).

Even that part in the beginning when Mina goes vampire on that guy who tries to hold her hostage was pretty sexy.

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(kills this movie) This was a terrible movie. TERRIBLE. This is what I had to say about it a long time ago.

quote:
posted July 26, 2003 12:37 AM by Ryuko Blarg. That movie was terrible. The only thing that kept me from walking out and catching the end of "Dumb and Dumberer" was the fact that I had a friend there to chat with. It was mindless overblown drama with a little sap thrown in for good measure. And who didn't guess that that guy was evil? I mean, come on!
This movie is ambushing me left and right... My brother saw it and when I went home last weekend he said, "Hey, LXG was awesome! I can't believe you didn't like it!"

(screams)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
But there was some nice eye candy (from a setting standpoint, not from a cheesecake one), and I got a kick out of all the famous nineteenth century literarary characters as they appeared.

-o-

Except that, based on the dating, Tom Sawyer should have been in his fifties. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.