FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is Age important to how you judge someone or can Advent ever be forgiven? (Page 9)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Is Age important to how you judge someone or can Advent ever be forgiven?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Some states you can, and some you can't.

Curse you, new page!

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's a state by state thing Leo (but I'm not sure)
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That is what I mean. I have always judged people by their actions, not their words. And yet each and everyone of you does it so easily.
Here I was ready to say, "Hey, Advent 115 made a sincere apology and I won't keep breaking his proverbial balls."

Then you posted this, and all of the rest of your whiny self-aborbed pity-me horse puckey and that readiness of mine evaporated faster than a snowball down under (and I don't mean Oz, either).

In almost all cases Advent 115, words are all we've got on an Internet forum. That and the occassional picture. So that point of yours is pretty damn stupid.

And then there's the larger point that it's not your words we're judging you on, it's your lying and your passively-aggressive insulting we're judging. Let me break it down for you. When you deliberately tell a lie, that is an action. It's not just the series of words you strung together to deliberately deceive, it's the action as a whole that pisses people off.

Oh, and of course there's that thing about threatening women and mothers. No one has really taken you to task on that part specifically mostly because you're so laughable and because it's uncertain whether or not you actually meant what your words said, which was a threat. But I'm understandably disinclined to give you the benefit of anything other than my steel-toed boot up your biological exit.

Oh, and it was very agreeable of you to prove me right about you still reading. But really, I don't need that sort of validation. Feel free to get lost and stay lost, next time. There are those who will probably be swayed by all of your self-pitying, melodramatic I'm-so-awful-and-it-makes-me-meaningful bull@*&$, but having been that sort of person before I can speak from experience when I say that doesn't work.

What works is sucking it up and realizing that the world is not divided into two sets of people composing of you and everyone else who is a spectator in your life. You're a human being. That means you have a spine and the ability to stand up for yourself and be a decent individual. Try doing that, instead of jerking everyone around. It's demeaning to you, tiresome to us, and although it's funny to watch it's funny in the way unpleasant things are funny. Personally I'd rather get a non-cynical laugh out of Tante's antics, or KarlEd's impersonations [Wink] , or something like that, than you making an ass of yourself. Despite the contempt other people and I hold you in, you may rely on that.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it's municipality by municipality. The City of Glendale, WI, where I live, has a 21 year age restriction on serving alcohol, but the City of Milwaukee does not.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Rakeesh, I wasn't thinking.

And to El JT & Karl I can't get a license in New Mexico as far as I know, at least not for another year.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, how old are you Advent?
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, sorry. I always assume what happens in my state happens everywhere ;-p
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Advent, it's entirely possible for you to be a functioning member of this community. As others have said, Hatrack is a ridiculously forgiving place; there have only been a few people in the history of this place that wouldn't be welcomed back with open arms if they chose to return, and while the way you've conducted yourself here has been annoying, it hasn't been anywhere close to the behavior of those few. All you really need to do is stop being dishonest, keep on posting a lot, and you'll be widely liked here before you know it. It really is that simple.

By the way, do you know The Silverblue Sun? You might not, as he isn't here a whole lot these days. It might interest you to know, though, that when he made his debut at Hatrack people reacted to him in an incredibly negative manner. He never really lied, but he was widely seen as a pompous, nearly incoherent windbag who frequently trumpeted his abilities as a screenwriter, but who had no actual finished screenplays that he could point to to back up his bragging. He was a laughingstock, and people were openly hostile to him in ways that you haven't seen in your time here.

Here is a thread from almost exactly a year ago, when he swung through briefly.

Here is the thread he created on his last trip through.

Check them both out. Notice the outpouring of good will. People who had previously reviled him are delighted to see him. The man is well-loved at Hatrack, now.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
I am 19 and my B-Day is on May 16.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Advent 115:
Sorry Rakeesh, I wasn't thinking.

And to El JT & Karl I can't get a license in New Mexico as far as I know, at least not for another year.

Are you sure you wanted to address this to me? (Or did I miss another Karl?) I have no idea what you're talking about. [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Ooops, my bad. I forgot who I was addressing it to when the thread changed pages. Sorry.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
In Louisiana, you can serve alcohol at 18.

Of course, in Louisiana, you can DRINK alcohol at 18, provided you are within a private residence.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:

Out of curiosity, why did you pull your whole "how dare you question my age" line, complete with threats, when beverly questioned the idea that you were 20?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You could drink anywhere in the state at 18 as recently as 10 years ago.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
You could drink anywhere in the state at 18 as recently as 10 years ago.

True.

Which I suspect is a great deal of the reason why a lot of bars turn a blind eye.

But they are very, VERY strict about you being 18. Scanning IDs and such.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:

Out of curiosity, why did you pull your whole "how dare you question my age" line, complete with threats, when beverly questioned the idea that you were 20?
[ROFL] Man that's good life sauce!
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Well for one, I don't drink alcohol of any kind. Not out of religion or anything like that I just don't enjoy it. And plus my best friend needs be to pick him up from the number of parties he attends (he tends to get drunk easily).

And to El JT, I'm not sure why I did that *shrugs*. Like I said I'm not really sure why I said most of those things.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Why you did what? I'm not sure I understand.
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

I think he means Noemon's post. Not sure why he said you: it's much harder to remember how to write without looking.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Advent, I'm trying to learn about wines. Want to join in on a bartending information thread? I'd love to hear some of what you are learning about in class.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Well, I meant that and just about every thing else I wrote on Sat (or was it Fri?) and today.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Have'nt learned alot about wines yet. But I have to go. I need to pick up my moms cousin from the airport today. So bye. [Wave]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Drive carefully. (No alcohol! *grin)

Post in the bartending thread if & when you feel like it.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
And to El JT, I'm not sure why I did that *shrugs*. Like I said I'm not really sure why I said most of those things.

Might be something to think about. There are reasons for everything that a person does, and you're no exception to that. Understanding one's self makes life a lot easier.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a theory, but I don't want to presume to speak for Advent.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avin
Member # 7751

- posted      Profile for Avin           Edit/Delete Post 
Who was it that changed the title of this thread?

As I was reading through it, I began to think about how I viewed internet forums when I was a teenager. I belive Advent's claims about being 19 now, but the conversation about age made me reminisce a bit. When I was 12-13 and first started posting things online, I definitely had a large fear of disrespect due to my age. So I quickly learned how to type in order to seem more mature and made certain to only post in forums and in topics that were very specific - mostly about the computer games I was interested in, and stayed away from any talk about personal issues. Then when I was 13, I had the distinct online advantage of the fact that I started college early, so I made sure to discuss with the online communities that I was a part of the college aspect of my life, counting on the fact that this is normally a good enough age indicator that no one would reasonably need to ask further and still allowed me to share part of my life. Actually it was rather amusing, because on one or two occasions I was (apparently) assumed to be in my 30s!

I wish that Hatrack had been around then, because it might have been a place where I could have been more fully honest about my age. Well, I suppose technically it was around, since I remember visiting it many years ago, but I didn't find the forums to be very lively or interesting at the time.

Oh, and Advent, I do somewhat hazily recall a (thankfully breif) time in my life when I remember lying quite often and sometimes backtracking as a result. Oddly enough I don't remember when it was or what some of the things I lied about were. But I want to assure you that there is no reason to be afraid to genuinely ask for information or people's opinions, even if the subject is something that is uncomfortable to you. Often you will find that what is uncomfortable to you will be something that many people would be completely comfortable with. If you want to hear what people have to say about sex, the best way to do so is to be frank about it. If you ask openly and honestly, I don't think anyone here would make fun of you for not knowing something or being inexperienced.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rappin' Ronnie Reagan:
Dude, stop being so melodramatic.

Word.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread's title bothers me. The word is spelled "forgiven."
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Liar.
No one's private self speaks like Vardolax, Dread Lord of the Ur-Spleen. When you speak like that, you're putting on your whiny face.

Now here is one statement that you can't possibly know, Tom. How could you know which Dread Lord other people's private selves can or cannot speak like? Vardolax is no less likely than any other.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is a childish response, even though one does not need to be a child to make it. You have some guesses as to why you said most of those things, at least. No one just starts blurting out deliberate threats, deceptions, and insults without having a reason. Unless they're crazy. So...still lying.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Well the misspelling is something I'll make sure to fix.

And as for Avins comments, well Hatrack is the first and only forum I have ever participated in and I guess I'm still learning how to use some self control on Hatrack. But from what my friend Reticulum says I may be improving, and I trust his assesments seriously (after all he is a child genius). Even if I have had some relapses and made mistakes. But I am learning (I think).

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, just for the record... I know I made a fool of myself here a few times. I was going through some stuff and didn't want to talk about it or deal with it, and my online interactions became much important to me than they should have been.

Thing is, you blow it, apologize and move on. Do your best, if you really want to make a go of it. If you don't, it's okay to walk away.

That said, I don't know if I'm "one of you" or not. I do know that I have made some very, very good friends through this site. Better friends than I ever expected to have in my whole life (since I'm a woman with eclectic interests and odd social maladjustments [Big Grin] ).

One of the best friends I made through this site is actually someone I had flame war with, once upon a time. [Blushing] [Wave] Hi, Katie! [Kiss]

All I'm saying is, it isn't the end of the world.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

I guess so, but I just really went onto a tangent a couple of hours ago. I'm good now though. Infact I'm reading some of the junk I wrote and I think its kind of funny, because some of it really doesn't sound like me at all now that I'm calm. [Laugh] (laughing at self)
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.