FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Jatraquero Recipe Site Thread - with request for new users on p. 9 (Page 8)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: The Jatraquero Recipe Site Thread - with request for new users on p. 9
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm, imogen, can I come to your house? It's too hot to cook these past few days (only our heater or air can work at one time, and right now it's our heater-- while it's 85 or 90 degrees out); we've been having salads, pizza, and sandwiches. [Blushing]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure ketchupqueen - you come to me and I'll cook whatever you want. [Smile]

By the way the periyukas were *great*. Tony has put in a request for more already. I used sauerkraut for the filling. Yum yum yum yum. [Smile]

The only thing was they floated at the start - I guess there must have been air trapped inside. No biggy though 'cos I just judged when they were cooked by their appearance and it all worked fine.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah. Sometimes, especially with the sauerkraut ones, they do that. I don't know why, my dad's never do. [Dont Know] I usually poke them down and put more on top and wait for them to come up again. [Blushing]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

wrong thread... [Blushing]

[ February 24, 2005, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I just discovered and successfully accomplished a recipe for Turkish Delight. It's really rather fabulous, and I just had to share [Smile]

The siblings and I are now off to watch the BBC version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I added recipes for Sweet Citrus Grilled Fish and Mango Plantain Chutney.

I also added Caribbean as a category.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a very, very delicious dessert that I have memorized the recipe for. [Big Grin]

[Very simple too! [Cool] ]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ March 21, 2005, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone who is doing WeightWatchers would like to know how many points per serving these recipes are, let me know. I will pop them into my handy dandy online recipe calculator and let you know.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

You can use the handy dandy commenting feature for that. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I served Imogen's Jeera Chicken and Hobbes' naan to the missionaries last night, along with other Indian foods, and they looooved it. Thanks!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Added my favorite method for cooking steak, since I made it tonight and we enjoy it so much.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Glad you enjoyed it KQ. [Smile] One thing I didn't mention is that since your frying butter you should probably turn on your range's fan to it's highest setting or you'll get a lot of excess smoke. Sometimes you do anyways...

Hmmmm .... I feel like some puffs... mmmmmmmm

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you clarify the butter, Hobbes?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I used store-bought ghee. [Big Grin]
Hobbes
Member # 433

No, I don't make ghee. [Embarrassed] [Cry]

I probably should I know since it would solve my problems, but the thought of throwing away all that expensive, tasty butter when you make it... [Frown]

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That's why you buy ghee. It's the same price as butter, at least it is here.
Hobbes
Member # 433

I'll look, but I don't remember seeing Ghee at my local store. :-/

Here's my Indian curry, other hatrackers who make Indian dishes should feel welcome to add their personal favorite spice combinations. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ March 22, 2005, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The ghee we get here is shelf-stable, on the shelves with the other Indian foods. It comes in a little jar with a metal lid, like Devonshire clotted cream.
Hobbes
Member # 433

As far as I can tell Ghee has a practically infinite shelf life, and I've seen it in stores before, just not here. [Dont Know]

Hobbes [Smile]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

When in doubt, Alton Brown can always help:

quote:
Store in airtight container being sure to keep free from moisture. Ghee does not need refrigeration and will keep in airtight container for up to 1 month.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
All these new recipes!

I'm having a dinner party tonight.... time to go start browsing!

(KQ - I'm glad the chicken worked well. [Smile] )

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Extreme Chocolate Pie

This stuff is really good. I found the recipe in a magazine, and ended up changing it a little bit. Since then, it has become my specialty, and I'm well known for it. [Smile]

(edit: I realise it's not on the "jatraquero recipe site", but I wanted to share it anyway.)

[ March 22, 2005, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

So while biking home from school today I stopped by the grocery store to pick up some needed supplies, and saw an absolutely beautiful cut of tenderloin that was marked way down (way down!) and since I'd just read KQ's steak recipe I couldn't resist! I also picked up some garlic cloves (another good price) and now I'm all primed to make steak! I think I'll try it tomorrow if I have time. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I put up my key lime pie recipe. Though I probably shouldn't take the credit for it...I think it's pretty common where my husband's from.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oooh, good for you, Hobbes! You'll make your roomies jealous. Just make sure you use kosher salt, it really does make all the difference. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Just added my mom's three-bean salad recipe. I feel a little guilty because I did it because I called her needing it for Easter dinner, and I posted it because it was easier to type it into the form than to write it down by hand... [Blushing]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and how was the steak, Hobbes?
Hobbes
Member # 433

Excellent. [Smile] Plus I used some extra garlic later on when I put it in a food processor with some water to make a garlic paste that I used on a pizza the next night. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Very cool. [Cool]
Hobbes
Member # 433

Creamy Fudge Frosting [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmm, ganache!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I installed a new backup manager tonight, and thought I'd bump this to report progress and encourage more recipes. So far there are 105 recipes submitted by 23 people.

ketchupqueen, with 23, has widened her lead over Annie's 18.

If anyone wants to submit and doesn't have a username, just register on the site. I get an email about it and will give you edit rights as soon as I can.

The recipes do not have to be original as long as you are aren't copying word for word. Adaptations are especially welcome. It would be polite to credit the originator, even if you have changed it quite a bit.

So don't be shy. Memorialize some of those culinary achievements. Show us why coffee in chilli is a good idea!

Dagonee

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a not-so-subtle hint? [Razz]
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Very not so subtle. [Smile]

I gave you and Noemon add/edit rights for recipes.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Goody, you have rights now as well.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Done and Done, Dags.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Excellent. That one will be tried sometime soon. Thanks!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Added our favorite onion soup, which we had for dinner two nights in a row, each time with Ceasar salad and sourdough bread. [Big Grin]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

coccinelle, you have add/edit rights now.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, I'm getting a thing when I try to log in saying that my login has been blocked, and to contact an administrator.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ: how does this compare to "French Onion" soup that restaurants serve with the bread and cheese on top? I'm no good at guessing from text.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, I have a few I could put up, if you wnat....

I use to make a mean beef stew, and Jenni loves beanless chili.

Also, she makes killer cheesecake, and her grandma's cookie recipie is on a cookbook already. [Big Grin]

I can do Cherries Jubalee and Bannanas Foster too, and make a mean Cesar salad from scratch. I use to work fine dining, and still remember how to do those, I am sure.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Goody: It's lighter, made with veggie as compared to beef stock. I make that, too, and that soup traditionally tastes a lot like beef, where this tastes like carmelized onions and butter, is thicker (kind of halfway between a soup and a stew) while this one is a fairly thin (although not watery) soup, and this one is much more subtle. It compliments a wide range of tastes, and doesn't leave you feeling like you just ate concentrated cow. (Not that I dislike that soup; I just think this one is even better. That soup has its place; this one's place, IMHO, is everywhere. [Big Grin] )
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, Kugel recipe, please...
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Noemon, it's fixed now. I'm not sure why you were blocked, but I might have clicked it accidentally when giving you rights.

Kwea, all those sound excellent.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
oh Kwea... Bananas Foster!!! Please???
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I3, done! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Added the honey-glazed carrots we had tonight for Coccinelle. [Smile]
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! I'm looking forward to trying them [Smile]
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You're welcome. I was informed by my husband that I have never made those for him before, and he wants them more often.

Apparently, I only spoil Jatraqueras. [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.