FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lost Season 4 thread - Spoilers Welcome (Page 6)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Lost Season 4 thread - Spoilers Welcome
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm worried that Juliet dies eventually."

I am worried that she won't. I can't stand her.

And what is up with her look-alike? At first, I thought it was a way to get Juliette's actress out of the show, and replace her, like they tried with Meadow Soprano.

The look-alike even had Juliette's annoying expressions down, but she could never, ever get the nauseating way she says, is sort of a throaty whisper, "Jaaaack."

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ben was awesome in this last episode. "see you guys at dinner!"
Man that slayed me. The way he walked across the courtyard with that self-satisfied little smile on his face and the fresh linens in his arms. And then that line delivery... Classic. Ben is one of my favorite characters.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, I'm sooo confused. I just watched it online and there was some skippy stuff going on and I think I missed some things. What's all this about a Juliette lookalike?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
"Creepy skeletal guy" has been "Major Daniels" in the HBO series The Wire for too long in my mind, and it was hilarious seeing him outside of that role.

They're setting up the show so that Ben, who's been so despicably evil and manipulating (and creepy-possessive of Juliet), is going to end up being the good guy. I'm totally ready for it.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Uprooted, it is when they are running through the jungle, and a couple of other times. I am actually going to watch it again, I think.

OK, I see nothing written about a different actress playing Juliet or a different character who looks like Juliet, but I SWEAR it seemed like it was not her a few times.

[ March 08, 2008, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

OK, I looked through the Lostpedia episode summary and it says that Harper said "you look just like her" when talking about Ben's crush on Juliet. I didn't catch that line when I was watching. But if there was a different actress playing her at any point, I didn't notice it.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I noticed(what I thought was) the different Juliet before that was said. After it was said, I wondered if there were times when the person we thgought was Juliet was the other person, and it was a flashback or something.

I also thought they had maybe replaced the actress.

So, I guess I was seeing things! Maybe she is just one of those people who look really different depending on what their expression is, whether their hair is "big" or plastered to their heads.

docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this is speculation, but I'm sure of it.

Penny doesn't love Desmond.

She's helping her Dad find the island.

She's married. Either her kid or her husband is sick, and she's stringing Desmond along to try to find the island to help that person.

In a future episode, we will see her at Christmastime again taking Desmond's call, and we will see who she was really with, and we will know what her true motives are.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

doc,
I could see that happening, as it did with Sayid.
Hmm.
That would make me very sad.
I think it was no accident that the photographer took their picture right before Des bailed, either.
So, while I accept your theory as plausible, I reject it out of heart.
Please refrain from ever mentioning it again! (joking, just to be clear)

cassv746
Member # 11173

- posted      Profile for cassv746   Email cassv746         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there was a different actress playing Juliet at one point. The you look just like her line gave me the impression that she looks like someone Ben used to like or even love.

Maybe he had a wife who was pregnant and she died on the island and Juliet looks like her. Big leap I know but hey, anythings possible given this show.

I did love the end too though with Ben walking with his fresh linens and his black eyes acting like he didn't have a care in the world.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Ben's man is probably Michael. I was looking through Lostpedia to see if Sayid had ever had a conversation with Ben this season where some kind of deal might be implied. I couldn't find anything, so I don't believe that it is Sayid. But he makes a deal at some point. He certainly wouldn't kill for Ben otherwise.

The last of the Oceanic Six show up in the next episode. So far, with every flashback/flashforward involving those people, the time has moved backwards, closer to their rescue. I'm interested to see how close it gets this time.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we have a legitimate time line for the flash forwards this season?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I know of. I think I'm wrong. I know of just two flashbacks whose time can be confirmed: Jack's from "Through the Looking Glass" and Hurley's this season. Jack's occured before Hurley's timewise.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fairly certain that events in the flash forwards in "The Beginning of the End" took place before those in "Through The Looking Glass." In the premiere's flash forwards, Jack had yet to fully undergo the downward spiral towards alcoholism and drug addiction, nor had his desire to return to the island surfaced.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Yeah, I'd assume Jack's episode is the furthest along in the time line. All the others seem up in the air to me, though I'm sure the information is embedded in the episodes somewhere.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:
She's married.

If she was married, she probably would have had a wedding ring on. I looked, and they very clearly showed that she had one ring, on her right hand, and none on her left.

She isn't married.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm glad i haven't got so wrapped up in the mysteries of Lost that I can't appreciate how dark and tragic the whole Juliette/Goodwin/Ben thing was. And not one person on this thread was even like "whoa, surprise, they were in lurve!" i keep thinking i must've missed some mention of their affair earlier in the show... [Smile]
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I think that's because I was sort of indifferent to it. Really, the whole flashback in general didn't do anything for me. I didn't care that she had an affair with Goodwin. Or that his wife was her therapist. Or that Ben was jealous. It *was* interesting to see new light shed on those events though. The most interesting of which was Ben's sending Goodwin out to die("What's Ben gonna do?" immediately followed by the plane crash. what a fantastic juxtaposition). His little speech to her at the end was so evil too.

"after everything i've done to get you here. after everything i've done to keep you here. How can you possibly not understand....that YOUR MINE."

F'ing chilling.

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Check this out someone on LJ did an analysis of Faraday's blackboard.

Some crazy Physics mumbo jumbo

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Leonide:
i'm glad i haven't got so wrapped up in the mysteries of Lost that I can't appreciate how dark and tragic the whole Juliette/Goodwin/Ben thing was. And not one person on this thread was even like "whoa, surprise, they were in lurve!" i keep thinking i must've missed some mention of their affair earlier in the show... [Smile]

You did. We knew that Goodwin and Juliette were lovers. As far as Ben having a thing for Juliette, it wasn't much of a surprise.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
Yeah, I'd assume Jack's episode is the furthest along in the time line. All the others seem up in the air to me, though I'm sure the information is embedded in the episodes somewhere.

I'm assuming that Sayid's episode is the furthest along in time based on the amount of gray in his hair and beard that weren't there on the island. I'm not positive but it seemed to me that there was more gray in the first scene on the golf course than in the later scenes. It also seemed that Sayid had put on a bit of weight in that scene which he didn't have later in the episode. I think its entirely possible that the golf course killing took place after he killed the woman not before.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
You did. We knew that Goodwin and Juliette were lovers
true, but we didn't know it was an affair.

the most I remember about it is maybe Juliet calling it "complicated" at some point. But I may be making this up.

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Just check their facebooks. You can tell everyone's relationship history on facebook.

Of course, all the romantic relationships are still listed as "It's Complicated" except for good ole' Sun and Jin.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

Just check their facebooks. You can tell everyone's relationship history on facebook.

Of course, all the romantic relationships are still listed as "It's Complicated" except for good ole' Sun and Jin.

The Reader
Member # 3636

Sun had an affair with her english teacher. Her baby may not even be Jin's.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Reader:
Sun had an affair with her english teacher. Her baby may not even be Jin's.

That possibility was ruled out when the ultra sound showed conclusively that the baby was conceived on the Island.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

That's only what Juliette said. Is there any other evidence than her word?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Well we do know that she told Sun and Ben the same date, so if she is lying it would have to be for some completely obscure reason.

Beside that, they've now been on the Island for over 100 days. If Sun had been pregnant before she left Korea, she'd be showing by now.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Well we do know that she told Sun and Ben the same date, so if she is lying it would have to be for some completely obscure reason.

Beside that, they've now been on the Island for over 100 days. If Sun had been pregnant before she left Korea, she'd be showing by now.

I don't trust a single thing Juliette does. I do wonder if her name has significance. I hope it is because she will have the same fate as her namesake in Shakespeare. (sorry, I really don;t like her character. If she were a real person, I promise I would not want her to die a miserable, Lost-style death)

Would the time anomaly business affect the timing of her pregnancy?

The Reader
Member # 3636

I don't trust Juliette either. I think I mentioned in the Season 3 thread that she is only out for herself. All she wants is to leave the island. What she has done is align herself with the most powerful group, and that is currently the castaways. There is a big betrayal coming from her in the future.

I thought Sun was beginning to show. Wasn't that mentioned by someone in the show?

Shanna
Member # 7900

Lost is breaking my heart!

And glad to see Michael back even if it wasn't a surprise.

I'm excited for next week. Someone is going to die and I'm just hoping it'll be Juliet!!

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kanelock
Member # 10982

- posted      Profile for kanelock           Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be funny if they brought Michael back just to kill him off!? [Laugh]
Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Shanna, my sistah!
Go Juliet! and by that we mean, "Juliet, go. Forever."

I don't get the Jin thing. The panda clip happened before the birth?

Is the captain a good guy or a bad guy?

Is Ben good or bad?

I am more confused than ever, except for these facts:

Sawyer is hot.
Desmond is hot. (3/4 of hotness=accent)
Jack is a whiner.
Juliet must die.
All Losties must wash their hair.

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the panda stuff was supposed to be a flashback, not a flash-forward. They were just trying to throw us off (although I suspected from the very beginning that he wasn't going to visit Sun.) My husband swears that he saw Jin in the delivery room, but I didn't think it was him.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I lost a lot of respect for Juliet when she ratted out Sun to Jin. Even if she was trying to help, there's no logical reason to think doing that would help get Sun off the island, she's just being a b****.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if that was a flash back. So far they have been fairly consistent in not mixing flash fowards with flash backs in the same episode.

I thought that maybe Jin made it off but listed as officially dead and Sun does not know.

Juliet ratted Sun out because she really does not want Sun to go to Locke's and stay on the island. She knew that Jin would not go and that Sun would stay. It was a dirty trick but effective.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

I think it was a flashback.

Either that or the show is playing silly games again. Like, Sun only thinks Jin is dead but he made it off the island but with amnesia and he remarried or he suffers from some variation of that time-displacment-thingy.

But that's just crazy. Though, this is Lost we're talking about.

I lean towards flashback because the phone he was using looked alittle out of place. And what year is the show set it in? Is it the year of the Dragon?

Shanna
Member # 7900

May or may not be important but according to screencaps, the death date listed on the tombstone is the day of the plane crash.
Strider
Member # 1807

It was definitely a flashback. And not to brag(actually...just to brag) i called it from the very beginning of the episode when we first saw Jin. It just seemed like the kind of thing Lost would do. Then the rest of the flashes just confirmed it. When he actually goes in to buy the panda but isn't excited about his baby being born. When Sun is in the hospital she reacts really negatively to having the wedding ring removed and only mentions his name after she's been drugged. He doesn't seem like he's talking to Sun on the phone in his phone calls given his tone of voice, but then who would he be talking to? Who knows she's in labor? Then obviously the reveal at the end, that he's only been married two months, and his being dead in the future. Still, knowing it didn't lessen the impact, i kept hoping that he wouldn't be dead but would still be on the Island, as soon as Hurley said we should go see him my heart dropped.

This fits perfectly with the story Jack tells at the trial. He says 8 survived but 2 couldn't be saved. We had posited that the reason to add this seemingly unnecessary detail was because there were 2 bodies to explain when the 6 make it back to civilization. Well, we now know Jin is one of those bodies. Which at least means he won't die next week.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I hated last night's episode.

I mean, HATE.

Thus sayeth the Lord...

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

The Jin flashback was just a cheap gimmick to throw us off track. (ETA: or, what Scott just said much more eloquently in his link above. I'm such a slow poster!)

Juliet's comment to Sun afterwards, that she had to do what she did to help Sun get off the island, really rankled. "You are my patient." What, so that makes you God? Puh-leeze. I'm starting to join the "death to Juliet" ranks. There are a couple of expressions on her face that make me want to slap her. I'm afraid I might never be able to watch that actress in another role!

Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Note: Just because Michael was on the boat, doesn't mean Michael is Ben's man on the boat. We are supposed to assume it is, but it could be a trick...

Where is Walt?

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like Juliet. I don't think the writers did a good job with her last night, though.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
I hated last night's episode.

So did I, but not for the reasons you cite.

I didn't mind the flashfoward/flashback intermingling. I just thought it was immensely boring. I mean, nothing happened to move anything forward. I could understand it if the writers needed an episode to reposition characters, but no one was repositioned except Michael (and the false drama of his reveal was totally unnecessary). Otherwise the episode ended exactly as it began.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

So do the people who hated the flashforward/flashback also hate last seasons' finale? They did the same thing to us there. Purposefully misled us and lied to us(go get my father...if i'm more drunk then him...).

I loved that episode. And not to say I loved last nights, but I don't know why it would be out of the range of usual Lost stuff to do something like that.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Xaposert:
Note: Just because Michael was on the boat, doesn't mean Michael is Ben's man on the boat. We are supposed to assume it is, but it could be a trick...

There's a clip on Kristin's page from next week that has Ben saying, straight out, who his spy on the boat is.
Lisa
Member # 8384

Juliette is the last Cylon, btw. Just thought you'd all want to know that.
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
I was one of the ones who saw the "twist" coming a mile away, and it still annoyed me that they played games with us in order to pull a surprise ending.

Actually, I felt about the same way as I did in the episode where we find out Sayid is working for Ben. In that final scene, they change the timbre of Ben's voice (as though he's speaking through a long hollow tube) until the moment we see his face, then they remove the voice altering mechanism so it sounds like Ben. Why did they do that? There is no other reason than that it's necessary in order to delay the moment of surprise.

This plot twist was similar. Jin's story does nothing to advance the story, or even show us anything about Jin's character. Its sole purpose was to create a surprising moment.

When there's no reason for it except to make a surprise possible, it's just irritating, and it feels like they're cheating.

I didn't feel that way about the season finale with the first flash-forward because that flash forward was important in that it revealed information both about the characters and about the plot line.

It wasn't messing with us just for the sake of messing with us.

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
There's a clip on Kristin's page from next week that has Ben saying, straight out, who his spy on the boat is.
Who the heck is Kristin?
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Reader:
If the island ends up being in a vile vortex I will be disappointed because that's a cop out. Where's the imagination in that old chestnut?

I think that would depend entirely on how they did it - if the conclusion is essentially them saying: "Hey, it's in a vile vortex, so we don't have to explain anything - what do you expect?" that's a copout.

But if they completely explain and tie everything together well internally, and in addition make sure that everything fits with the external mythos of the Bermuda Triangle type regions, then having it revealed that the island is in a vile vortex would - I think - make the conclusion even more satisfying.

In other words: Using vile vortexes to explain LOST would be bad. Using LOST to explain vile vortexes would be good.

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.