FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Legend of Korra has a release date (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Legend of Korra has a release date
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone read The Promise graphic novel? Part two came out yesterday. It is a wonderful bridge between the two series.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Azula was kind of boring after she locked May and Tai-Lee up.

Now Toph-- she rocked socks.

You didn't find her total unraveling compelling at all?

I really impressed with how they handled her actually going crazy, and then her unhinged battle with Zuko and Katara.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
Anyone read The Promise graphic novel? Part two came out yesterday. It is a wonderful bridge between the two series.

I read the first one and found it interesting. I pre-ordered the third because the price was only like $5. Haven't ordered the second one yet, but I will soon. They're doing well with them, I just wish they were longer.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Toph was awesome. I'd like to hear more about her life as an adult. I notice her daughter carries her family name rather than that of her father. Is that usual in this society?

I sort of think they slandered Azula at the end, and her story didn't really go that way. She was too awesome to lose it like that. But you know how the victors always write the story of the war. Maybe we'll never know the true tale.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ak:
Toph was awesome. I'd like to hear more about her life as an adult. I notice her daughter carries her family name rather than that of her father. Is that usual in this society?

Well Toph was the only character we knew the surname of. I bet Sokka and Katara, as peasants, wouldn't have surnames. Toph was from a rich influential family and her name was known world-wide, so it's entirely possible her name would have been better to give to her child, and it's also possible the father of Lin never even had a surname.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by ak:

I sort of think they slandered Azula at the end, and her story didn't really go that way. She was too awesome to lose it like that. But you know how the victors always write the story of the war. Maybe we'll never know the true tale.

Azula was nuts from day one. She didn't go overboard until Tylee and Mai left her, but it was a long time coming.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I would also point out that with the entirety of the Fire Nation resources at Azula's disposal she chose to make use of an apathetic nobleman's daughter and somewhat insane circus girl. Those two and her relationships with each were a very big part of her ego and stability, she thought they were her kingdom and hers to rule, when they betrayed her she lost some of her sociopathic confidence that would have served her well as Fire Lord.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

HA! HA! I CALLED IT! TARLOK!

WOW!

Wow!

That episode was INTENSE.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it was
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
*spoilers if you haven't seen 6/2/12 episode*

Are we supposed to think Tarrlok is Amon? I got that vibe from his reaction. Or is he just using the scare over Amon to seize power?

Also, in that vision was someone bloodbending Aang?

What are the odds that wherever he is taking Korra, she will run into someone we've heard about but haven't met yet? Like, maybe Bumi?

What's Naga going to do when she realizes Korra hasn't come out of the building? Poor Naga, she warned her not to go....

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

His reaction didn't strike me as "I've been caught!" Plus the eyes are still different. But either way, Taarlock is playing right into Amon's hands by creating even more animosity between benders and non-benders.

How awesome was that fight by the way? It's the first time I feel like we've really seen Korra unleash.

I can't wait to see what finally happens when Korra connects with spirit Aang and we finally find out what happened!

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
He's an UrFascist, his ideology requires that there be an enemy to fight in order to maintain power. That his increasing bender resentment just means that the "war" is perpetual, with benders being at war with non-benders and having always been at war with nonbenders.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm super curious about his blood bending though! One would guess that Katara would keep that knowledge to herself, maybe telling her water bending daughter and Korra but never anyone else who might try to use it. So does this mean that there have been more than the one blood bending savant? or did Katara make a mistake somewhere in her life.

Glad to see Sokka kept his "wolf-tail."

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Azula was nuts from day one. She didn't go overboard until Tylee and Mai left her, but it was a long time coming.
I wouldn't say she was actually insane from the start of the show, but...well, psychopathic or sociopathic, certainly. Even in a kid's show she was willing to maim, kill, torture, or kidnap to get her way. Granted it's not as though she arrived at that outlook without quite a lot of help, but still.

--------

quote:

WOW!

Wow!

That episode was INTENSE. [/quite]

Well, I mean Tarlak being a bad guy was a pretty easy get, man! But yes. Intense to say the least.

[quote]Are we supposed to think Tarrlok is Amon? I got that vibe from his reaction. Or is he just using the scare over Amon to seize power?

Also, in that vision was someone bloodbending Aang?

What are the odds that wherever he is taking Korra, she will run into someone we've heard about but haven't met yet? Like, maybe Bumi?

What's Naga going to do when she realizes Korra hasn't come out of the building? Poor Naga, she warned her not to go....

It's certainly possible. They're doing an excellent job of keeping that up in the air. It would seem a strange choice, though, for a bending blood bender to make a move for power by...manipulating non-benders into supporting him for a violent takeover? I mean, why would he need to? There's hardly a shortage of scuzzy benders in the world to try for such a thing. It just seems so unnecessarily roundabout. My money is on him being an also-villain, though much more fearsome than I would've expected.

I think you're right on the money about those visions being of Aang being blood-bent. It would explain the flashes of him seeming to be powerless.

I'll bet solid Republic City currency that these revelations will necessitate Katara's re-entry into the show. She's surely one of the most skilled waterbenders alive anyway, with a unique insight into the whole Aang angle...and she has her own history of blood bending as well. If anyone might know a way to handle that power, it would be Katara, just as Iroh was the one who knew how to deal with lightning bending (which apparently is also sufficiently accessible that even gifted youths can perform it).

quote:
I'm super curious about his blood bending though! One would guess that Katara would keep that knowledge to herself, maybe telling her water bending daughter and Korra but never anyone else who might try to use it. So does this mean that there have been more than the one blood bending savant? or did Katara make a mistake somewhere in her life.

Glad to see Sokka kept his "wolf-tail."

Well, what one bender can discover, surely another could independently. It would even seem likely, because if I'm not mistaken, particularly powerful water benders can sometimes even feel the water in an opponent's body when the moon is full. There being a whole lot of water benders all over the world, and it being a century later, well...
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't think Katara will leave the south pole. I think Aang will explain the whole thing to Korra when she finally hits the spirit world. She'll have to have a breakthrough at some point in the next few episodes.
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Korra will finally reach Aang/the spirit world while meditating in the car, and will be rescued by Lin Beifong. That's what I'm expecting.

This post has an interesting theory of what is happening in the flashbacks. I'd be surprised if that's not right, or at least mostly right.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
That's very clever.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

I saw the first episode of TLA a while back, and hated it. I gave Korra a shot on a whim, and have been loving it. I'm halfway through season 3 of TLA now. I've been converted.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Yeah the first 2-3 episodes of TLA I felt were pretty weak introduction to the series.
Member # 11614

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
quote:

WOW!

Wow!

That episode was INTENSE.

Well, I mean Tarlak being a bad guy was a pretty easy get, man! But yes. Intense to say the least.

Well I had a bet going with my girlfriend, I had bet Tarlok was going to eventually be the, or one of, the main antagonist.
Olivet 2.0
Member # 12719

- posted      Profile for Olivet 2.0           Edit/Delete Post 
My kids and I have been watching all along, but this was the episode that finally won my oldest over. He's of the mind that Korra needs to see a bit of the world outside Republic city and he's really hoping this will be part of it. I'm not so sure that it being Republic City-centric is a negative, though.
Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

After all the wilderness hopping of TLAB I've enjoyed the city, but it will be interesting to see the outside for a while not to mention where exactly Tarlok is taking her.
Member # 11614

I'm excited for an appearance of Zuko, and I think this is just the time to bring him in.
ak
Member # 90

Aaarg! That episode doesn't seem to be posted on the Nick site. I knew that would happen eventually. What are my options?
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
e-z no sub version:

tv-links dot eu

hunt for a good download

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
iTunes.

It's cheap. And it's worth it. Seriously, this show deserves your money, don't be a jerk.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
they get my money anyway, it's just that we like to watch on release and nickelodeon likes to fail to provide it, whee!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

We are sort of being a jerk to HBO though; we are trying really seriously hard to give them money but they are really having a hard time at making obviously good decisions about money
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I would've sworn that episode was on the site a few days ago. You know, it was on our cable's On Demand feature and then dropped off, too. Though I figured it's because it had been entered in with the wrong information (just appeared as "6/2" on the episode list instead of "Korra 108" like the rest) and they were working to put it back.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

It's there now. I just watched it. Phew! But I'm still waiting for "Out of the Past".
Member # 11614

Wooh.

Spoilers ahead, don't read unless you've seen Out of the Past.

I guess I was wrong, he only lasted for one episode!

I hope we get more insight into Amon, I'm really liking the Amon is/is backed by Koh theory.

Member # 11614

More Spoilers.

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

Also, its weird that the visions of Yakone always appeared when Amon was around. There must be more to Yakone.

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosity, how many episodes are left this season?
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

This was episode nine, so... three more? It is twelve episodes for the first season right?

Edit to confirm.

Yup, season one is twelve episodes and season two will be fourteen.

Three episodes left to wrap up the Amon arc.

[ June 10, 2012, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: AchillesHeel ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

In two weeks is the one hour finale.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

tarlok went down fast, wish he had a bit more of a fight to him. I like villains who are more like Gilgamesh, people with the Will To Power and what not.

Amon continues to be interesting, kinda still bummed that Katara hasnt had a heart to heart with Aang yet and instead just visions.

Increasing the tensions in the love triangle and Asami being all worried and clingy seemed a little contrived.

Foust
Member # 3043

Eh, they're teenagers.

I liked Tarlok's downfall; after all, Amon did something that should have been completely impossible. It was a great reveal.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Has anyone else entertained the abstract possibility that Amon is Aang? Amon has done two things so far only The Avatar can do, and Katara has yet to airbend even a little.

Aang could have glitched the Avatar line when he did the whole disconnect/reconnect thing.

manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
Katara has yet to airbend even a little.

I should hope so. Katara is a little old lady living at the South Pole.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Hahaha...
Member # 11614

Korra has demonstrated a little air bending in the tournament arc. She moved instinctively like an airbender.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Moved. Not airbended.

She has spent her life learning forms, it stands to reason that Korra could learn the physical form but if she is somehow not a full Avatar she has no way to access the power of airbending.

If Aang learned how to use energy-bending to block a persons ability to bend he could have also learned how to open the chi passages manually. When Aang was at his most powerful as an adult Avatar the city he built was still filled with benders oppressing innocent people. Amon has caused no fatalities and when he first showed his ability to remove a persons bending it was on the worst criminals, Bolin just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. If Amon is amoral then why does he go so far to not take lives in his revolution?

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Korra use airbending to cut the ropes thrown at her in the last episode?
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Moved. Not airbended.

She has spent her life learning forms, it stands to reason that Korra could learn the physical form but if she is somehow not a full Avatar she has no way to access the power of airbending.

If Aang learned how to use energy-bending to block a persons ability to bend he could have also learned how to open the chi passages manually. When Aang was at his most powerful as an adult Avatar the city he built was still filled with benders oppressing innocent people. Amon has caused no fatalities and when he first showed his ability to remove a persons bending it was on the worst criminals, Bolin just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. If Amon is amoral then why does he go so far to not take lives in his revolution?

No one ever said Amon was amoral - he's just on the opposite side of the main characters. It's entirely possible for him to be a random guy who genuinely cares about peaceably shifting power away from the benders.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I still think Amon is Bumi.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
quote:
Moved. Not airbended.

No one ever said Amon was amoral - he's just on the opposite side of the main characters. It's entirely possible for him to be a random guy who genuinely cares about peaceably shifting power away from the benders.
Right.

He stripped Lin's cops of their bending too. He's clearly sincere about his desire to remove all bending, not just bending from those who misuse it. That doesn't sound anything like Aang to me.

Don't get me wrong, I think Amon is awesome. He's a great, and surprisingly sympathetic given how enigmatic he is, villain. I was hoping he'd be the one to rescue Korra from Tarrlok, and that played out better than I could've possibly imagined.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

If Aang taught Bumi energy-bending it still wouldn't account for Amon pushing through the blood-bending. Also I don't see a child raised by Aang and Katara resorting to terrorism and anti-bender activism, they were the shining examples of how bending can be used for the greater good. No matter how weird it must be to be the only non-bending child of a water-bending master and The Avatar.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
"Good" people end up with "crappy" kids all the time. We have almost no information about what it was like growing up in their family. It's easy to see how a non-bender child of the Avatar could grow up resenting bending.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Amon=Yakone is where my money's going right now.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

My friend's new theory is that Amon is a robot. That's why he was immune to bloodbending. No blood. The slight discomfort was probably Tarrlok bending his lubricant, but there wasn't enough to actually stop him.

At first I dismissed this idea as obviously foolish, since Lin would've noticed immediately if Amon was made of metal. Unless, of course, he's a platinum robot.

Now it all makes perfect sense.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.