FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Palin Writes Notes on Hand (No, Not for an Exam) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Palin Writes Notes on Hand (No, Not for an Exam)
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I would think Lisa, before she found her religion again would be an atheist conservative.

Nah. I wasn't an atheist even when I stopped being observant.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem as I see it isn't that Palin wrote notes on her hand, its the kind of notes she wrote. It wasn't data and statistics that might be difficult for anyone to recall accurately under pressure or a careful worded phrase she wanted to be able to repeat with precision. No, the stuff she scribbled on her hand were things that have been the GOPs mantra since the 1980 elections. Lift Americans spirits, cut taxes, control spending, drill for oil. Why would she need notes to remember those points?

Honestly, why would any person who's been conscious for the past 30 years need notes to remind them that those were the big GOP issues?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
When I'm giving a speech or demonstration, even about things that I am highly invested in, I will often set up some sort of mnemonic aide so that I have that extra prompting to make sure that I hit all the points that I planned. This is especially true in cases where I'm speaking semi-extemporaneously and/or going to be answering a bunch of questions.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I would think Lisa, before she found her religion again would be an atheist conservative.

Nah. I wasn't an atheist even when I stopped being observant.
Thanks for the correction.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by malanthrop:
The "liberals" of yesteryear would be Libertarians today. Small government, individual freedom proponents. Todays "progressives" only defend individual freedom when it pertains to abortion.

The best part about your language is that it takes only the use of ONE additional example in order to really show that you're wrong.

EXAMPLE: Today's progressives happen to defend individual freedoms in a myriad of other ways, one of which you would be forced to admit would be the expression of homosexual lifestyles.

quote:
Unfortunately, "progressive" states are going bankrupt and looking to the feds (ie conservative states) to bail them out.
For decades now, the blue states have provided a federal surplus to the red states.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Obama portrays himself as what is expedient at the moment. He's "agnostic" about taxes on people making less than $250k...why not be for or against the idea?

How about you answer the question put to you regarding taxes last week. You lied, you were caught lying, and so you just abandoned that last thread, as you always do.
No, I have a job and tend to post once per week on my days off. There are some here who reply rather quickly...24x7. I may have missed it but if you care to remind me of the particular question, I'll respond.
Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
The "liberals" of yesteryear would be Libertarians today. Small government, individual freedom proponents. Todays "progressives" only defend individual freedom when it pertains to abortion.

The best part about your language is that it takes only the use of ONE additional example in order to really show that you're wrong.

EXAMPLE: Today's progressives happen to defend individual freedoms in a myriad of other ways, one of which you would be forced to admit would be the expression of homosexual lifestyles.

quote:
Unfortunately, "progressive" states are going bankrupt and looking to the feds (ie conservative states) to bail them out.
For decades now, the blue states have provided a federal surplus to the red states.

California will need a bailout within six months. You can't get anymore progressive than that. Hopefully, the new Republican governor of NJ can salvage that state.

I think you are confusing my personal beliefs from my political ones. I believe homosexuality and abortion is immoral. I know my freedom of speech is in jeopardy and saying such could be construed as "hate speech". I believe in state's rights. What isn't spelled out by the constitution to the fed is left to the states. That's why you can marry at 16 in state A and state B requires a blood test while state C says 18 and no blood test. Marriage is a states issue. I'm exercising my federal freedom of speech guarantee to defend states that have policies against my moral beliefs. Gay marriage in Vermont and single payer in Mass/OR is fine with me even though I am opposed to both. The federal government is overreaching their constitutional position,...they have been for a very long time.

Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's a lie, malanthrop.

In fact it appears very much as though you've got three-day weekends, if we're to believe you post on your days off generally.

quote:
I know my freedom of speech is in jeopardy and saying such could be construed as "hate speech".
This is a lie, too. Find me a person somewhere who has claimed that saying, "Abortion and gay marriage are immoral," is 'hate speech'. If you 'know' it it should be easy to find and post.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.