FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Relationship help, please. (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Relationship help, please.
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Jason,

Please take a look at www.divorcesupport.com.

There's a man there who went through something very similar to you--his wife went through something very similar to what has happened to your wife.

You two should talk.

When you get there, PM me.

--Steve (Boothby171)

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy,

"They" is the operative word, here. It seems that Jason's wife does not want things to improve.

A promise of change, but with no change, is...

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, "they" is one of the operative words. But, Boothby, usually, in marriage, "they" does NOT mean 50-50 division of commitment, effort, love, whathaveyou. Sometimes (and this is the voice of experience) it feels an awful lot like 99/1 or even 120/-20. I've been on the 1 percent side and on the 99 percent side. I suspect a lot of us have.

My marriage ended after almost 20 years. It was worth the effort, on both our parts, to try to make it work, time and again. It was not a "happy ending" but it was a thing worth doing.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
jason - I'm so glad you have a good start on finding a lawyer and I'm especially glad that, thus far, things have been amicable. I really hope that things will work out well for both of you - whatever that may be. I hope counselling is helpful to both of you in figuring out where to go from here.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

Sharpie,

I've never bbeen on the 1% side. I'll be self-deprecating, and say that I've never been on the less than 33.3% side of the division of effort. For the last 10 years, it seems like I'm the 75%, though.

How would you rate Jason's situation? What percentage would you say his wife is holding up? I'd say she's approaching the -20% you mentioned.

Would you have worked on a relationship where your spouse was on the -20% side of things?

What do you see as "success" for this (Jason's) relationship with his wife? Defined in realistic terms, of course. You are not allowed to give his wife wings, provide her with large cooling fins coming off her back, or give her X-Ray vision, for instance.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't imagine anything in more poor taste than arguing over the specifics of someone else's life when they have asked for advice in a time of crsis. This isn't a hypothetical situation. That kind of arguing when we don't know everything and there is so much potential for hurt makes me very uncomfortable.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

Katharina,

I know that this is not a hypothetical situation. I'm not treating it as such.

Jason is the one who gets to filter all this information, both good and bad--and certainly I acknowledge that some of mine has the capacity for being bad.

And while he certainly has my sympathy, I'm not going to sugar-coat things. And, like I said, I'm just human, and I could always have this wrong!

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
No one else is "sugar-coating things." We just aren't as quick to write people off as you are. You sound pretty angry/bitter about love and relationships, in all honesty.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not coming out with anything new - really, I don't think you can state it more baldly or forcefully than you have already. That's fine. The insistence on repeating it more and more graphicly and offering to get into dessimations of chances is what seems like poor taste to me.

The reiterations will not make it more true, and there's no doubt about your certainty.

I'm not merely protecting jason, but I would like people to be able to ask for advice without extreme assumptions being made and their lives being dissected.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, the two halves can both feel like they're contributing 80% and still barely meet halfway.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

I'll bow out, then.

Time will tell if I'm being pessimistic (angry/bitter) or realistic.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
We haven't heard Jason's wife's side of any of this, so it's really impossible to say how things will work out.

Whatever advice Jason gets, either to stay or go, it really depends on his wife. If she wants to make it work, and he wants to make it work, there's a fair chance they can patch things up.

If he wants to make it work more than anything in the universe, and she doesn't care, well, it takes two.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
cmc and ClaudiaTherese - Exactly what CT said. I watched it happen to a close relative. Diagnosed depressive, reacted well to antidepressants for years (like 20+ years) and then got depressed, meds got adjusted up, went manic and *poof* completely different and scary, mean person. In my VERY limited experience with bipolar/ manic-depression, mania can change people beyond all recognition. Depression is hard too, but they're generally not booking trips to foreign locales on shared credit, planning get-rich quick schemes, getting into spectacular car accidents because of feeling invulnerable, refusing to listen to you . . . it was unbelievable.

But I have the person I love so much back now, and her husband stood by her through it all (God knows how, I couldn't have).

Anyway, I am NOT an authority by any stretch of the imagination, but the chain of events you described really made me wonder, Jason. Increased sexual drive, engaging in unprotected sex, lowering of inhibitions, disregard for other's feelings - is she by any chance not sleeping as much or irritable as well? I would encourage her to speak to a highly regarded psychiatrist, perhaps one specializing in bipolar and depressive disorders, just in case. It might change how you feel about things. It also might not - I know I wasn't able to stay around after trying to help and seeing so much go wrong. It was too much for me, personally, so I waited for things to improve a bit before I stuck my head back in.

Best of luck, good job on being proactive and keeping a level head. *HUG*

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to pry if Jason doesn't want to share anymore information about this situation, but I remembered this thread the other day and I was wondering how things are going.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.