FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lament Over Hatrack, or, Our Greatest Moment is Before Us (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Lament Over Hatrack, or, Our Greatest Moment is Before Us
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
We had it...It turned out the be the "Al Capone's vault" of greatest moments.

Bu...but...I thought it was our Rendezvous with Destiny!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
People can change. I didn't much care for Orincoro when he first arrived here. I thought he already had his mind made up on every issue, including those where he had little knowledge on which to base his opinions. A couple months ago, however, he and I had an incredibly constructive conversation which completely changed my opinion.

When I started at Hatrack my freshman year in college, I made 5 or 6 disastrous mistakes in the first few months of participation. If people still remember them, they no longer bring them into the conversation. I hope that is because I have grown up in the last 4 years. Take the advice people give you, keep trying, and you will find yourself thriving here in no time.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Paul Giamatti would make an excellent Noemon.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
"The complaints have been myriad and confusing, yes, but I think the grievous complaint, the real stinker, is not how you write." You then go on to list a long series of complaints about how I write.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
*snicker* I can't help it; I keep getting sucked in!

Now how you write. What you sound like when you write. There's a difference between how you write - your grammar and word choice - and the tone you use, your inability to accept any suggestions, your attitude of always being right.

Of course, it may seem to you like a criticism of your writing, since the only interface we have with you is your writing; but it's really a criticism of your thinking and the way you deal with people who disagree with you. Also a criticism that you don't know your audience - we are neither imbeciles to be talked down to, nor your teachers to be impressed with long words, nor people who come here to read lengthy footnoted articles. We're fairly intelligent members of a discussion board, who like to discuss things, not be lectured at.

Yes, all those things come across in your writing, because that's how you interact with us; but as surely you can see by now, it's not a criticism of your writing so much as your thinking.

(What am I doing defending Orincoro?!)

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

"It's not a criticism of your writing so much as your thinking."

Which is, clearly, infinitely preferable.

" [we are not] people who come here to read lengthy footnoted articles." I can cite sources or I can not, but I most do one, although both attract criticism. Of course, no one has to read the footnotes.

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Your posts in the "Axis of evil" thread were great.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pelegius:
"It's not a criticism of your writing so much as your thinking."

Which is, clearly, infinitely preferable.

Yes, well? Would you like to defend the utter arrogance of your thoughts, or are you going to crawl into a shell and say "I yam what I yam"?

quote:
" [we are not] people who come here to read lengthy footnoted articles." I can cite sources or I can not, but I most do one, although both attract criticism. Of course, no one has to read the footnotes.

The objection was to lengthy articles, not the footnotes.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

<applause>

You did it! You managed to learn nothing from my post too! I am in awe.

... Well, not really in awe, as that would imply that I am so good at writing that everyone should be enlightened by my posts, and you managed to do the impossible. That would be arrogant.

Let me just slink away into oblivion, as obviously my points are as blunt as a pancake.

(Did you really think my objection was to you citing your sources? Boy, I've gotten bad at this.)

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Hehe. [Smile] I don't think he looks like me. I think he would portray me well. [Smile]

I meant for me... Self centered anyone? [Wink]
Actually, I was replying to rivka, so . . . right back atcha! [Razz]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the "Axis of Evil" posts.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

Actualy, I thin that Liam Aiken, who is younger and shorter than I am, and Rollo Weeks, who is older and still shorter, both look like me and could play me very well. Liam Aiken looks more like me, but Rollo Weeks is probably the better actor.

For pictures in which they look like me:

http://www.rollo-weeks.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=370

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Klausmovie.jpg

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Pel, to be honest, nobody wants to hear about how one of your teachers once played chess with Plato, and therefore extra special knowledge has been passed to you.

That's been my biggest issue in this whole thread.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
We had it...It turned out the be the "Al Capone's vault" of greatest moments.

LOL

Pel, if a movie was made about Hatrack, you probably wouldn't even be in it to be honest. That may not be true in the future, but as of right now I know that for a fact.

Whiny doesn't go over well on the big screen either, and we have enough ham on our plate with Icky and Bob. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Man. That seems needlessly harsh, Kwea.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

Especially since it's been established that William Shatner will play Pelegius. [Big Grin]
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Woody Allen has been whiny in most of his films.

Also, who died and made you director, Kwea? Just for that, you're on the cutting room floor. *snip*

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, Shatner is needed to play Hatrack's own James Tiberious Kirk, of course.

I see James Woods as Pelegius--touchy, scenery-chewing, and able to pull off the hammy lines without rolling his eyes.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I think Pelegius' writing style is pompous (you make me giggle), and although I think this thread is attention-seeking, can I just say that I write the word "role" with the circumflex. (When I know how to do it, as is not the case here online.) I think it is pretty! But stupid Microsoft Word says DEATH TO THE CIRCUMFLEX and does an AutoCorrect every time I try to do this.

So I love your pretty circumflexes, Pelegius! Bring back the circumflexed (imagine a wee accent mark over the final E in that word!) "role"! And double superlatives like most unkindest!

(I am not pretentious. Just aesthetically pleased by pretty circumflexes.)

Jen

Edit: Having read most of this thread, it makes me a little concerned that Pel is really someone totally different than what he claims and he is sitting at home with his friends laughing his a$$ off at how a little pomposity can get people riled up. Pel, darling, are you having us on?

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been told once-upon-a-time I look a bit like Anne Hathaway and she's about my age. I'd be that pretend "geek" character (who inevitably suffers from a lack of not actually truly being geeky at all- does that bug anyone else?) she always plays at the beginning of films before she becomes ridiculously cool, confident and successful.

However, given the choice, I probably wouldn't want to be played by her. She's far too... floofy. I'm not that floofy.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
<removed due to lack of ongoing necessity>
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
Especially since it's been established that William Shatner will play Pelegius. [Big Grin]

Christopher Walken. Only actor alive who could handle the lines required. All that alliteration.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

<What Dag Said>
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I will say that Pel's threads get a better class of Google ads at the bottom. Sort of raises the tone around here...

(or maybe they're suggestion that some here need writing lessons?)

[ROFL]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Wow. I never noticed that. True though, I suppose my threads generate alot of Sheetmusicplus adds, and ads for adult diapers...
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, considered as prose, Pel's posts aren't that bad. Sheer bollocks for communicating meaning, and horribly self-dramatizing (then again, which of us wasn't guilty of this in our teenage years), but sort of pretty if you just sit back and let them flow.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Without bothering to actually understand them, sure.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
sit back and let them flow.

Yes... this is reminiscient of his threads. [Evil]
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
No, no, Shatner is needed to play Hatrack's own James Tiberious Kirk, of course.

<snicker> He'd have to shed some years. And get a tan. [Big Grin]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Scarlett Johannson or Cate Blanchett for me. In my daydreaming, anyway.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd prefer Cate Blanchett for you, kat. Scarlett seems too airheady for how I perceive you, whereas Cate comes across as very intelligent while mysterious with lots of layers. Not that you're necessarily mysterious with lots of layers, but I could see her doing a good job with you. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Smile] I love Cate Blanchett - she sang Total Eclipse of the Heart a cappella in a movie once.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Huh. Didn't know that.

I just love her choice of movies. Or, well, the ones I've seen anyway. Let me see... Elizabeth. LotR (of course). A psychic in, um, The Gift. The Shipping News. Ooh, ooooh... An Ideal Husband. Really, I don't think I've ever not liked her in a role. [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

She did it in Bandits, which movie also stars my shameful Hollywood crush, Billy Bob Thornton. I know he's skeezy (I used to get my hair cut by the makeup artist in charge of The Alamo) and not cute and usually plays the weirdo, but there's something magnetic about him, like Owen Meany.

Bandits is a great movie if you're ready to accept that world. It's not hard to accept, and it added to my wish that I had red hair.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

I have red hair. [Big Grin] By choice, of course. [Smile]

Oh, yeah, Bandits! [Smile] I remember that one - a little quirky.

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
I'd prefer Cate Blanchett for you, kat. Scarlett seems too airheady for how I perceive you, whereas Cate comes across as very intelligent while mysterious with lots of layers. Not that you're necessarily mysterious with lots of layers, but I could see her doing a good job with you. [Smile]

Kate Blanchett would be good, but if I were casting someone to play kat it would definitely be Scarlett Johannson, as she looked in Lost in Translation. The way she looks in that film is frighteningly close to being exactly as I'd conceived of kat as looking before I'd actually seen a picture of her.
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Would I be in the Hatrack movie? *sniffles*
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
If you have to ask, the answer is no.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Woody Allen has been whiny in most of his films.

Also, who died and made you director, Kwea? Just for that, you're on the cutting room floor. *snip*

Morbo, when i said "My people will call your people." what I meant was "Go away, you are out!". [Taunt]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Man. That seems needlessly harsh, Kwea.

Since I would probaby be just a cameo myself I stand by what I said. He just hasn't made that much of an impact, you know.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Given my .. um, extremely limited interactions with the forum (mostly sark and one-liners), I guess I should be played by that guy who does Dr. Cox from Scrubs.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn! This really sucks.

WHY?!

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:

Huh. I thought Ben Affleck had that all sewn up.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Icky- be careful or I will cast a "latin sensation" to play your role melodramatically, going into the anals of bad movie-acting done by self-centered musicians.

It could be Iglesias, that would be rather sad. You don't want that, do you? You'll only get Antonio Banderes if you play nice... otherwise you get Emilio Estevez... and NO ONE wants that for you.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
going into the anals of bad movie-acting
Going where now?
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Orincoro:
[qb] Icky- be careful or I will cast a "latin sensation" to play your role melodramatically, going into the anals of bad movie-acting done by self-centered musicians.

It could be Iglesias, that would be rather sad. You don't want that, do you? You'll only get Antonio Banderes if you play nice... otherwise you get Emilio Estevez... and NO ONE wants that for you.

You cast anyone into Icky's anals and his wife will kill you.

Unless Icky does it first.

Ori.....if I am only a walk on, you won't even get to sweep the cutting room floor let alone cast anyone as anything. [Wink] [Razz] [Taunt]

Orincoro
Member # 8854

I thought directors were SUPPOSED to be dangerously underqualified!!!

I have been misled.

Kwea
Member # 2199

lol
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Slappy the Squirrel [Razz]

Careful, or I'll hit you with my umbrella.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Crap, two people beat me to the easy joke!

-o-

I see you made it home safely, Kwea! [Smile] You missed out on some good chili!

[ July 20, 2006, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.