FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Jatraquero Recipe Site Thread - with request for new users on p. 9 (Page 5)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: The Jatraquero Recipe Site Thread - with request for new users on p. 9
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I though Middle Eastern qualified Mediterranean.

Breaking down Europe sounds like a good idea.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Central American is okay, but would be better if you at least made an option to label by country, like "other" would have. Also, I'd suggest breaking into North (including Central) and South American. But that's just me.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Middle Eastern is different from Mediterranean. Israeli, Saudi Arabian, Turkish, Lebanese, etc. food should all be Middle Eastern.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm not saying geographically, btw; I'm saying in terms of cuisine.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

But there is huge overlap in styles, especially when you go from Greek to Turkish to Lebanese, etc.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think, though, that Middle Eastern food is more appropriately grouped with Greek and Italian than, say, Indian. There are certain dishes (like hummus) and certain ingredients (olives, fish, figs) that are mediterranean and middle eastern.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmmm; yes, but what about Saudi Arabian to Greek?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That's very true, Annie. If you're going to break it down, I'd give it a separate category, but if not, group with Mediterranean.
Annie
Member # 295

Not that I really care. I trust Dag to do whatever works best.

Currently, I have Mexican recipes up that are unclassified, and a couple Algerian dishes to post later. I'm sure I can find them a spot.

Also, I really need to go to work. (darn you, interesting site!)

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mmmm, I am so making the Sopa Conde!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"I think that until/unless the categories start to fill up it would be better to keep them broad and have more detail in the description."

I agree with Dana!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for just a "Good Eats" section!

[Wink]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that's what I call Good Eats!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I will not disrespect Alton like that. If someone has an adaptation, feel free to post it (with credit preferably). But I can't compete with him, nor do I intend to try.

Oh, vwiggin, you have edit rights. I'm too tired to do the categories now. As long as people have edit rights, we can accumulate recipes and recategorize them later. I did add Mexican, though.

Dagonee

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Good. *goes to Mexicanize her recipe*
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Just added a chicken enchilada recipe. It is a cream-sauce, not a red sauce, and is not really very Mexican, but is mighty good.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That kind of reminds me of my chicken sour cream enchiladas I've been meaning to make for, like, a week. [Smile]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Did you read the recipe? Cuz it does have sour cream.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes, I did, but it's not the same as mine. Mine is simpler-- shredded cooked chicken, sour cream, salsa, and herbs get mixed, rolled in a tortilla, topped with cheese, and baked.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh. that sounds good, too. This one is almost like a casserole when it is done, even though each enchilada comes out separately.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I added two new major features:

First, I added the ability to browse an entire group. If you click on Cuisine, you'll see an outline with each category, and under each category all the recipes. This will get too big to be useful for a lot of categories, but when I break the Cuisine categories into regions, it will make browsing easier, and make the individual breakdown by region less limiting.

Second, anyone who can add a recipe can now comment on the recipes. Soon I will open up commenting to anyone who registers at princeclan, but for now I wanted to test it with people I know. It should be obvious how to use. If you log into the site, and you have rights to add a recipe, you will see an add comment form at the bottom of each recipe. Type the comment, click "add comment," and you're done.

To edit a comment you've entered, simply click the tiny edit link below the comment. Only admins (me [Big Grin] ) or the person who entered a comment can edit.

They're sorted in the order added.

EDIT: UBB support has been added for comments and the description, ingredients, and directions fields. Only the bold, underline, italics, and URL tags work - I don't intend to add any others. There's no edit helper for them - you can use FireFox's BBCode add in or just type by hand. I used the URL feature to link some "goes with" notes in the description.

Also, I'd like to look into making a printable view. My plan to do this is to use Javascript to open a new window and write all the code within a particular <div> to that window. Does anyone know if a function exists to do this?

My next planned upgrade, besides bug fixes and adding userrights for adding if anyone else registers, are the printable view and redoing the cuisine categories.

Enjoy the new features!

Dagonee

[ January 29, 2005, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Very cool, Dag. I've looked at a lot of recipes so far, but my only comment at this time is that I want Annie to come cook for me. [Big Grin] I'll have to make some so I can tell everyone how good they are.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Important note: please do not add numbers before steps in the directions. It's not necessary - the program will add them for you.

Dagonee

Dagonee
Member # 5818

OK, I've added the regions, although several simply have an "other category." I can add countries as needed.

I also added preparation method categories.

Annie
Member # 295

Wow! Awesome, Dag! This site is my new favorite pasttime. [Smile]

I added several Algerian recipes, and even utilised the comment feature to answer my own question about smen.

The one thing I haven't added is my recipe for hummus, because I never measure out amounts of anything when I make it. I know the difference between my two-cans-of-chick-peas batch and my five-cans-of-chick-peas batch, but I have yet to quantify it into an easily transmittable format.

I'll keep you posted.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I added Algeria for you. That's Mediterranean, right?

Can't wait for hummus recipes. I love hummus, and love to try different variations.

There's a printer friendly link for recipes now - drops the category and comment info, plus all the extraneous info.

But that's it for today. I'm going to lunch and then it's work, work, work!

Dagonee

Annie
Member # 295

OK, I added hummus to the best of my ability and a couple less-weird recipes, including indian frybread.

Now I need to do something productive with my day. [Smile]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"including indian frybread."

Yum!

Ever hear of Keith Secola? He is a Native American rocker(Ojibwe) who has a great song called "Frybread."

Annie
Member # 295

I haven't, Liz, but I'll look him up. I am a big fan, though, of Indigenous, and I think you'd like them. They're very bluesy.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Annie, check Keith Secola's schedule. He is definitely more fun live, as he often has native dancers, and the crowd joins in.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Dag, you might want to check your spelling on "Oceanean". (Alt. spelling: "Oceanian".)
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Fixed.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to ask again if people want me to point out spelling and such . . . some people didn't answer before, or hadn't any recipes entered before.

(No, I don't have OCD. I took the test!)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Also, I cannot see any comments. And I'm pretty sure someone said they had made some. And the link from one recipe to another doesn't seem to work.

Wow, I nitpick a lot. [Blushing] Um, Dags, thanks again for all the hard work. And everyone who entered recipes. This is great!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

There are only comments for 3 recipes so far: Sopa Conde, Couscous Algerois, and Seffa Couscous.

The links in some of the descriptions have some errors in the UBB code for the links. I checked in the Seffa Couscous recipe, and the problem was the quotes around the URL.

Quotes areound the URL inside the brackets don't work.

Dagonee

rivka
Member # 4859

I cannot see comments on any of those. [Dont Know]
rivka
Member # 4859

[Blushing] [Blushing] [Blushing]

Unless, of course, I scroll far enough down!

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, Derrel, you have add/edit rights now.
Annie
Member # 295

I think I fixed all my link troubles. Hopefully I won't be linking to random pages on your site anymore, Dag. [Blushing]
rivka
Member # 4859

*thumbsup* [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Um, Dag? It's still spelled "Oceanan" in the sub-category.) [Wink]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

So picky. [Smile] Which is a good thing - makes me feel appreciated.

We will refrain from contemplating the events in my childhood that make this so. [Big Grin]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, maybe you will, but now you've got me going on it... [Razz]

Could you maybe add a category for "breads" or some such? I added pie crust under desserts, but that's not what it really is; it's a multi-purpose crust I use for desserts, main dishes, and side dishes. I also have some quick breads I'd like to add.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Breads activated.
rivka
Member # 4859

Wow, and that usually requires warm water.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I am a man of many skills. [Wink]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I switched the category lists to horizontal, which should make better use of the space. Let me know what you think.

Dagonee

rivka
Member # 4859

I like the horizontal display. Not so crazy about that shade of orange, though.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

OK, it's now a shade of blue.
rivka
Member # 4859

Much better. [Smile]

These old eyes thank you. [Wink]

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.