FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The eternal bra thread (used to be bra sizes funny) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  15  16  17   
Author Topic: The eternal bra thread (used to be bra sizes funny)
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wow, I'm glad I don't have to think about this stuff. It seems needlessly complex.
Twinky...so very, very true.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
In the future, bras will be made out of a piezoelectric fabric that will change its properties based on support requirements! The quaint concept of "sizes" will be a thing of the past! [/geek]
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is the female version of comparing, uh, I mean, of an often-mocked male competition.

Ladies, break out your measuring tapes.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I guess I'm just begging for a debate to get into, and this one seems fun.

There is a large difference between ogling someone and noticing them. I'm a horrendously visual person. If I saw someone out of the corner of my eye I could probably recognize them a month later, but if you tell me someoneā€™s name, I'll probably forget it by the following day. Anytime I meet a person, male or female, it's a rarity that I don't look at them from head to foot. I'm not going to skip the ankle-to-neck section on women because I might notice some physical feature that could be construed as sexual in some contexts (actually, I guess that would rule out feet and head as well, depending who you were talking to).

In addition to that, I've gotten into a profession (Architecture) in which proportions are a huge part of both its history and its present. Human proportions have been a part of that since at the very least classical Greece, if not farther back. Particularly in this context, the idea that particular body parts are entirely taboo is naive, and really quite silly in my opinion. The first semester of most art programs simply shatters that somewhat modern notion.

The point here is that in order to make sweeping generalizations (that I tend to thing are born out by fashion trends, if that could ever be used as proof), you don't have to examine a bust with a magnifying glass. An unintentional passing glance with peripheral vision is like more than you'd need.

Feyd Baron, DoC

EDIT: This was directed at JH's post, before the one sentence posts hopped in between them.

[ December 16, 2004, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Architraz Warden ]

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I just measured myself andf all I can say is... that can't be right. I... there's no way I'm a 32C. The one I'm wearing right now, which seems to fit just fine is a 36A. It's not too big around, even though I'm 32 inches around. I'm so confused.
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
We talked about this in a christian moral life (we called it christian moral strife) theology class at my college.

The professor was a Benedictine monk (Father Benedict) and he talked about lust and trying to explain the difference between noticing and appreciating beauty and lust.

There's a difference, he explained. "Say I were a leg man. Now, a woman walks by and I notice that she does, in fact, have nice legs. I notice and appreciate the beauty. And I leave it at that. That isn't lust--it's a normal, human appreciation of what is beautiful. However, if I had continued to think about the woman, and moved into imagining her in all sorts of ways, that would be lust."

Of course the very next question from a classmate was, "So Father, are you in fact a leg man?"

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Olivia, add four inches to the actual measured amount.

I had that argument last night with my friend who ended up dragging me to Target.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
add four or five inches to the band size since you are from the US.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Then how do you decide the cup size?
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

We gave up and just had me try bras on.

We knew my band size was correct, but thought I had the wrong cup size. So we grabbed 36 C's (instead of what I thought I wore B's) in styles that I might like and had me try them on.

Holy support, Batman!

They fit and felt very supportive (I've never tried underwire).

I also ended up asking several times, "Are they SUPPOSED to look like this? They seem like they're...THERE."

My friend says, "Yes, Taylor. You DO have boobs. And you have more boobs than you thought."

"Damn. What am I going to tell Nathan?"

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
olivia, I think it's how much bigger the full part is than the spot right under your breasts. So like nothing would be AA, A is an inch, B 2 inches, C 3, D 4, DD 5, F 6, and so on. like I have a 35 inch ribcage, with 4 inches difference between ribcage and breasts, so I wear a 40D, usually.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Two questions:

Is there a super size?! [Razz]

Why do they always close at the back?! [Grumble]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
@ mack:

[ROFL]

Corwin, not all do. [Wink]

[ December 16, 2004, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite oogling game came after learning of "the pencil test" from a friend. Which is, of course, a test of how many pencils you can hold under your bazoombas. My friend and I would whisper things like "seven" to each other after a girl walked by and desperately try to contain our laughter. Made even funnier by the fact that we had no real idea of how many pencils a typical breast can hold.

So that means not only did I need to glance at bosoms in order to play the game, but I had to objectify the woman in order to do it AND revel in my moral depravity in order to enjoy it. I may even excitedly declare "BAZOOMBAS!" while pointing in the same manner I would point out a red fire truck when I was five.

The one thing I can always count on Hatrack for is to show my how I'm a terrible, loathsome human being [Smile]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Corwin, not all do.

I do NOT trust front-closing bras. I had one come undone during an interview. I don't think it was obvious, but it isn't an experience I'd like to repeat.

For some reason, push-up bras are usually front-closing.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the bra had a mind of it's own, and was trying to help you land the job? [Wink]

edit: that sounds like something that would happen on Seinfeld

[ December 16, 2004, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: TheTick ]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I did get an offer.
Olivetta
Member # 6456

There's between three and four inches difference between my ribcage and the measurement around the perky bits, but no way am I C cup. Is it the difference between measurements after you add four or five inches? That would make me a -A cup, whic isn't right either.

I'm not really a woman, I'm some sort of lumpy fraek.

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Back snaps, front snaps, they're both doable. Just practice, corwin [Smile]
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I donā€™t trust the ones with shoulder straps that adjust with hooks rather than the little slidey-things. I had one of those pop out during an audition. Suddenly I was . . . um . . . lopsided.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's better to go ahead and use two hands if you need to than to fumble with one.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

pretend you're a b cup then olivia, that's sort of middlish between the A you wear and the C it says you should wear. Hmm I have no clue.

I had an embarrassing front close story too, but I don't remember it, I just remember I won't go near them now, it was middle school, and that's just embarrassing to begin with.

Olivetta
Member # 6456

My favorite bras were front-close, until they got a bit old and and started popping loose at bad times.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Is there ever a bad time? [Confused]

Paul: Aye, aye, sir!

Edit: breyerchic was right, this thread IS funny! [Smile]

[ December 16, 2004, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Bad time - while singing in the choir Christmas presentation

Worse time - while giving an oral report on the significance of the Fool in King Lear.

Worst time - while trying to politely discourage one's Old Testament professor from flirting with you.

O_O

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack- Did you like your bras from Target? All of their bras seem to have underwires and the one I got from Target pokes into my boobs all the time and is incredibly uncomfortable. I don't know where to go to get cheap bras now, because Target doesn't have any in my size that are not underwires. So I'm trying to resign myself to spending thirty some dollars on comfortable VS bras.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

There IS a bad time! Who knew?! o_0
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
blacwolve -- Try J.C. Penny's, if you have them where you live.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
blacwolve, did you put the bra in the dryer? That's the only time mine warp. I've never had a problem in the washing machine, though. [Dont Know]
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

All the underwires I got from Target felt great. [Smile]

Olivia, we determined last night using the proper measuring technique that my cup size was zero.

o_O

And this thread is making me crack up. Twinky, if I ever heard you shout BAZOOMBAS! I'd die laughing.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I said nothing about bazoombas...

quote:
Why do they always close at the back?!
I think that makes them considerably more awkward for them than it does for us. Imagine having to fiddle with an unseen clasp behind your back every single morning... you'd get used to it, but still.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been under the impression that most women clasp them in front and then turn it around to put the straps on.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

That's what I do.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats def how women I've watched put on their bras do it.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I dunno. I just sorta shimmy mine on and never unclasp it. *shrug*
katharina
Member # 827

*thinks*

I have no idea which one I do. Maybe it changes with the bra?

How weird! I really don't know. I know I'm capable of putting them on both ways, but I just don't think about it at all. It's like asking which shoe you put on first. Do you know?

Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
When I wear that kind, I clasp them in the front and turn it around, too. Much easier, I think, than trying to put it on and then clasp it in the back.

As for shoes, I always put my left shoe on first. [Razz]

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

This is really starting to bother me - that I can't remember. Am I that absent-minded (Banna is not allowed to weigh on this question)? Do I black out while dressing?

[ December 16, 2004, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

mackillian
Member # 586

*snort*

No, I had to think about it and replay putting on my shoes today.

And then think about comfort in having one shoe on...which foot would it feel weirder on?

Left shoe first.

I wonder if it differs with handedness.

I'm right handed.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
rotfl@ Kat. Well you didn't forget that you forgot your purse and then try to get gas without any sort of money on your person.

Actually (and I skipped to the end, maybe it has already been discussed) you are supposed to measure with a measuring tape across the nipples and around the back to get the number of inches for the size of your bra. But a different cup can vary the size as well. For example a 34 C and a 36 B fit pretty close to the same on me, because the C cup has enough extra give in it. But the B cup size fits better so I'm actually a 36 B. (Well a 35 B but you just take in the notches on a 36.)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

AJ, I'm pretty sure the cup size of the 34 C and the 36 B are exactly the same volume. But the band size changes how tightly against you it fits and possibly the distance between the two cups. That might account for them fitting you differently. And that is assuming they are the same exact style. [Wink]
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I usually put my left shoe on first.

-----------------------------

quote:
I just sorta shimmy mine on and never unclasp it.
Do you go in head first or feet first? I thought it was very odd the first time I saw Juliette take a top off by sliding it down around her hips.

-----------------------------

I really don't think undoing a bra is all that difficult. All it takes is a little practice.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I'm impatient.

And headfirst. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh, something mack and I have in common.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Tee hee!

<=== has never tried the shimmy thing

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's a difference, he explained. "Say I were a leg man. Now, a woman walks by and I notice that she does, in fact, have nice legs. I notice and appreciate the beauty. And I leave it at that. That isn't lust--it's a normal, human appreciation of what is beautiful. However, if I had continued to think about the woman, and moved into imagining her in all sorts of ways, that would be lust."

I had a youth paster that had a similar line...but his was a first look/ second look thing. He said that it was ok if a girl walked by and you noticed her attractiveness...but it because 'lust' when you took that second look.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

From the elders:

"If you don't look once, you're not a man. If you look twice, you're not a missionary."

Missionaries are so cute and dorky.

mackillian
Member # 586

Well, there are double takes..,

quote:
Huh, something mack and I have in common.
Is is THAT shocking that we have something in common?
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivetta - I gave in and measured too and I came up with the same numbers and letters that you did. Who knows.

As for front or back...I had front snaps once and liked them, but now I have back hooks and they're fine too. I just put it on and then hook it. What's so hard about that?

Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe we're up to 5 pages talking about bra sizes...X.X
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.