FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Was just told by the vote to go die (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Was just told by the vote to go die
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got the weightings about as follows:

Drunk, 3

Other Drugs, 1

Young, 4

Could be a combination, of course.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
God was a wrestler! (its true look it up!)

BC

Goodnite

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me tell you the nonreligious morality that I believe in. I believe the American Ideal, though it has not been executed very well, tends to be a fairly good test. That man is endowed by the Creator (whether it be spiritual or natural) with certain inalienable rights, among which are life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Furthermore, that Life, Liberty, or Property will not be infringed without the due process of law. Furthermore, that all should recieve equal protection under the law. Finally, my rights only end where yours begin.

If what I do infringes upon your personal rights, then you have grounds to take action against me. If what I do does no harm to you, but does not match with your values, then endeavor to reach me with reason, persuasion, bribery, or boycott, but you should have no recourse through the law.

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a pot big enough. I suppose I could eat a paper plate. Could always use the fiber.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't do it!

Paper plates are bleached and dyed.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Instead, eat a maraschino cherry.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly! Carmine! Nummy! [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*droooooooool* maraschino cherry...
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Kathryn. I didn't whistle the post, but I sure was tempted too. It makes me feel good to know that the moderators, despite disagreeing with gay marriage, are compassionate and do not accept churlishness from those who share that specific opinion. It speaks well of the prospects for genuine discourse here.

-o-

::savors rare morsel of Ralphie post::

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, where did Kathryn post? I'm so confused.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Icarus, where did Kathryn post? I'm so confused.
Kat, she deleted one of Bean Counter's posts.

quote:

Bean Counter
Member # 6001

posted November 05, 2004 01:08 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[This post was deleted because it was inflammatory and nasty, and because about nine thousand Hatrackers rose up in arms to complain about it.]

[ November 05, 2004, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: KathrynHJanitor ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ November 05, 2004, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: St. Yogi ]

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathryn Rocks.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Kathyrn's touch is just what was needed.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I didn't realize we had nine thousand members! [Wink]

Thanks Kathryn. [Smile]

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What I do is far crueler then you think! I do not set out to hurt feeling, I just do not give them my attention.
That's a lie. This statement is akin to, "I'm going to be punching the air right here...and if you face gets in the way, and you get punched, it's your own damn fault!" (Mmmm. Pie.)

quote:
A persons feelings are thier own, I not only believe this in theory I live it. Of course I would say the same thing in any company. It is a good way to sort your associates.
That's a pretty obvious and stupid theory. Pick that up from a fortune cookie? Or did the hero in a pulp-fiction book say that one? 'A person's feelings are their own." Wow. You're like, a Zen master, aintcha?

quote:
You sought out some moral high ground of deep feeling and compassion as if pain is not a universal truth. It is the teacher. It is silly for you to pretend to know the will of God, I tried to demonstrate that to you by pretending I did, but you missed it.
He was feeling pretty bad (presumably still is), and posted to vent and get some commiseration from friends. 'It is the teacher'? Ohhhh. Tell me more, O! wise sage!

Everything is or can be a teacher to human beings. And giving your half-assed, ill-conceived, troll-motivated 'theory' far more credit than it deserves, an unwashed fool asks: what is the lesson?

quote:
Gleefully beating your kids may be wrong, but simulated glee could be an added deterant to future behavior. One must control the emotions one has, display the ones one chooses and eat the plate in front of you.
Yeah. Then, after that, we can swat mosquitoes with axes!

Well, now that I've vented my frustration (really, this sort of thing is like a good BM!), I'm going to swallow air so I can burp. More productive, and this way at least the funny, stupid noises being made are mine!

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Telp)))

(I am a thread rerailer!)

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Gee... That hurt my feelings. Can I have a Hug?

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
No.
Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
BC, it was a pretty awful post. Let bygones be bygones.

CStroman, or Chad, like you had just recently parachuted in with a big bang. He's more effective in his arguments now and taken more seriously, now that we are talking together. We also get a chance to get to know him and understand his views. That's pretty cool.

You'll find that people here are worth getting to know. You don't have to be sappy (nobody will force you, despite how it looks sometimes), but you really do get back what you put in.

[ November 05, 2004, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Telp, I'm really sorry that you're feeling dispossesed. I strongly disagree with the moral majority's stand on this and I hope and pray that there will eventually be some room for you to live your life with your partner and not be penalized for it.

Now that I've made my support for your stance apparent I have to comment on this post:
quote:
You freaking idiot... homosexuality is BIOLOGICAL. We've known that for a decade. It is a basic life function...like breathing or hunger.
I don't dispute that you may be wholly and unequivocally homosexual by nature but I think it is somewhat presumptious to declare that all homosexuals are likewise driven by nature and have no choice in the matter. I could support your assertion if it were less encompassing. I'm quite convinced that there are many reasons and factors that can contribute to a life of homosexuality. I'm casting no aspersion here, just making an observation.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I wouldn't hug you if I were wearing a biohazard suit [Smile]
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon for a second here. Sorry, Telp, for derailing.

quote:
Gleefully beating your kids may be wrong, but simulated glee could be an added deterant to future behavior.
I have a lot of insecurities about my abilities as a parent, but I feel like a freaking expert next to you. Simulating glee while you punish your kids just makes them think you're their enemy. It's not a deterrent. Where's the logic behind that? Daddy's happy when he hits me, so I'm going to try to behave better, so he won't hit me? The more obvious conclusion to me is: Daddy's happy when he hits me, so clearly he doesn't like me, so why should I try to make him happy?

This strikes me as perhaps the most scary statement posted in this thread. Are you a parent? Do you really parent this way? Or did you get drawn into that statement to defend an earlier one?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Joe, I think my summation of that gleeful tidbit was way better than yours. I mean, with yours, do we get to picture BC swatting at mosquitoes on him with an axe? [Evil]
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Ic, it also can create a continuation of child abuse in that, from an early impressionable age, a child sees that Daddy is happy and relieved when he hurts me, so that it's okay oif I do it, to either my peers (or much later, my own children).

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I was also highly troubled by this post.

In the context of a discussion forum community, it raises the question of whether one is acting in good faith. I take honest response (rather than game-playing or toying with others) as a fundamental part of integrity.

Integrity is pretty important to me.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
(posted this in it's own thread...but thought there might be too many threads on this issue already... might as well just put it here) [Smile]

Looks like, from a report in Detroit's newspapers, that the Michigan Republicans are looking to oust our liberal leaning Governor and Senators using the same "strategy" of Karl Rove by rousing the fanatical evangelicals...

Since they have already taken away most of my rights I'm sure they will go after the right of women to choose pregnancy and who knows what else. Who else will they target to strip rights away from just to bring voters to the polls?

What really makes me sick are the people who wrap their partisanship in piety.. "Oh! God told me to vote Republican!" I thought religion was supposed to be above politics and the state? Not that Republicans are the only ones guilty of this... left leaning religious folk does it too. And both allow themselves to be fooled by the demagogues.

And of course there is talk that the judges who go with the anti-gay amendments will be chosen for higher office by the Bush administration...

I never used to really believe in "agendas" but after seeing and hearing all this... well... hard to deny I guess.

*sigh*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.