FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Baaaaaleted! (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Baaaaaleted!
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have been mostly trying to diffuse by absurdity which can then deteriorate to "death by fluff".
I'm a big admirer of this method. I've tried it in class, however, and it's not quite as effective for some reason. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
*flees*

edit: from CT's stick.

[ July 22, 2004, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, jokes are good. Here's one I just heard yesterday:

What do you get when you cross a mountain climber with a mosquito?

You can't cross a scalar with a vector!

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
:groan:
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]

That's great! I need to remember that for my physics students.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, I prove how little I know about math...by not getting that one at all... [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, what I like about the joke is that you need to know a bit of math/physics AND a little biology. Or at least know why a mosquito would be termed a "vector."
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent this joke to my Mathemetician Friend to Whom I Send Math Jokes. He usually manages at least a polite laugh for most of them, but this was outright booed. I didn't get it completely, so he explained and booed some more. It was so sad. I refuse to consider than his change of behavior from polite laughter to irritated scorn has ANYTHING to do with a date I went on with his friend that he found out about last week in the middle of a party during the rest of which he refused to speak to me. I'm sorry. That's probably more information than y'all want. I'm just so sad that I don't have an audience for mathemetician jokes anymore.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, until Riv pointed out mosquitos as a vector, I didn't get it either. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

P.S. - not that I'd ever be considered a particularly mathematically inclined soul. [Razz]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
<waves at Katie> I love math jokes.

Oh, I guess you meant in real life. [Frown]

CT, you are a genius with the heart of an angel, and I worship you. Your new method is a brilliant response to suspected trolls.

1) If they are truly only interested in trolling, they will go away bored, nauseated, and feeling rather outmaneuvered.

2) If they are mainly trolling but there is a spark of something more going on inside, this method will tend to fan it into a flame. Many people through the years who have initially come to hatrack with big chips on their shoulders and lots of disdain and disrespect have stayed and grown and eventually become valuable and beloved members of our jeesh.

3) If they are simply ignorant and misguided then they will take up the spirit of the place with enthusiasm, and their awkward first phase will be short lived and quickly forgotten.

<bows in awed reverence>

<repudiates shunning>

<repents of past shunnings>

[ July 25, 2004, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why this is a "mathematician" joke. Each facet requires at most a high school level of knowledge.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Tom, because in my sad experience, most people promptly forget such details as vectors and scalars as soon as the class is over (if not sooner). Unless it's a field they are interested in.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I never learned about them in the first place. o_O
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Come to think of it, I don't think I learned about them in HS either. A series of complicated and frustrating events resulted in no physics class in my senior year. And I think I learned the word "vector" in the disease sense in college.
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, physics.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

^ Sounds just like some of my students. [Big Grin]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Physics. *twitch* Math. *twitch*

...am I the only person who sees this thread title and thinks "Ba'al?"

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yes.

I just keep wondering why someone is screaming.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Three countries were going to war. The first sent ten knights and ten squires, the second sent five knights and five squires, and the third sent a single knight and his squire. The knights were feeling rather lazy that day, so they decided to make the squires fight for them. Before the battle, the lone squire hung a cauldron from the branch of a tree. He later tied in battle, thus proving that the squire of the high pot in noose is equal to the squires of the other two sides.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.