FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mrs Card! Look here, please! (name the ChicagoCon) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Mrs Card! Look here, please! (name the ChicagoCon)
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
$20/night is insanely cheap for August of any year.

<is a hotelier>

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, it depends on occupancy and how "high class" of a hotel or motel you want to stay in. I know of at least one motel 6 with a conference room nearby.

The question is what do the attendees want?!
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be so cool if we could all fit...

I don't know, though. I can completely see there being 25-30 people there. Could we all fit then?

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, who got the hotel for WenchCon? Becuase that seemed to work. Four in a room meant $20 a night, and I think everyone who wanted to come, could.

A hotel would also have a higher number of bathrooms and maybe a smidgeon more privacy for those who want it.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Another reason I'd like to avoid people's houses is that there are potential power issues involved. I don't want anyone to feel like they're "hosting" this thing, or have to somehow provide services for the rest of us.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I agree Tom. However I thought it was something that should be tossed out there as a brainstorm.

AJ
(now lets discard it and move on with other ideas, I really don't think a condo is feasible either with 20+ people)

[ January 22, 2004, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I wonder how many people we would have to have for OSC to show up and have fun with us.

I mean I would want him to have fun and be part of the community, not be stuck speaking to us or anything formal. Heck we could even veto all autographing even of attendees personal books. It would be worth it to get him to show.

AJ

(Actually I suspect Mrs. Card would be the life of the party <grin>)

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's entirely possible that we scare OSC a bit. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Quite possible.

AJ

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

It's pretty easy to get a nice hotel for pretty cheap this time of year. The rack rate for even an upscale hotel is going to be about $70 plus 2x$5 for two extra adults in a double-double. In summertime, it can double. July and August are particularly bad months.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd even say "likely".
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

We should probably check into an All-suites hotel. You could probably get a two room suite with a King and a Murphy with two roll-outs. That'd be one bed per person. I'm not sure how that'd run, though.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Once again... how nice are we going. Motel 6 only goes up $3-$4 dollars in the summer compared to the winter as long as you have reservations two weeks in advance.

And there are always discount packages, I've never paid a rack rate yet.

AJ

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

The only thing I have to say about Motel 6 is "bring your own comforter/sleeping bag." The sheets are clean but fear everything else.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*votes for Motel 6 or similar*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

You just aren't enough of a cheapskate Primal Curve. I've stayed in many Motel 6s and found 90% of them to be just fine. They are also one of the few remaining chains that are pet friendly.

AJ

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I work for a chain that is pet friendly.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

The all suites is a good idea though!

does Amerisuite do the same thing?

AJ

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Please put me on the "thinking about coming" list. It turns out that school starts a little later in August this year, so that shouldn't be a conflict.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Does Motel 6 do conference rooms?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

yes there are more expensive chains that are pet friendly. However when I'm shelling out money on entry fees and gas to go to the dog show I want the cheapest reasonably clean accomodations possible. Unless they vaccume the mattresses daily and lysol everything you are always going to have human skin from the prior occupants floating around the room along with the dustmites. If you are paranoid, you would be better off in any hotel or motel by bringing your own lysol, IMO.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Some motel 6s do have conference rooms for wedding receptions etc. I'll look into it.

AJ

TomDavidson
Member # 124

You know, I can't imagine holding my wedding reception in a Motel 6. The mind boggles. [Smile]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Well the wedding reception I went to in Ohio was a Super8. but I've been on the lookout ever since for them. A lot of times they are tucked away and you don't notice that a conference room is there.

AJ

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we at least rule out the Motel 3? Their slogan: "Half as good as Motel 6"
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

btw Primal Curve, how far up the food chain is the hotel you work for? Could you get us discounts????

AJ

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine (good friend at the time) had her wedding reception at either a Motel 6 or a Motel 8.

Worst. Reception. Ever.

It was every bit as bad as you might imagine such a reception would be. The only thing that made it seem good was that it was better than the wedding itself, which was presided over by a drunk reverend who started eating M&Ms mid way through the ceremony.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
A computation I like is that of those who are "definitely" 1/3 don't show. Of those who are "maybe" 1/3 do show. I don't know if that changes the numbers so much. But it worked well for my last baby shower.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Noemon, that sounds positively painful.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

This reception, wasn't bad. Very well planned and everything. The room was possibly slightly small for the number of people but there were probably 60+ people there too. The motel had recently been renovated and was pretty much sold out to the wedding guests.

Right now my calculation algorithm has been to cut the "near" possible jatraqueros by 1/3 and the "far" possible jatraqueros by 1/2. I was just trying for a very rough estimate.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Also there are Chicago cubs home games vs. the Dogders on the 13th 14th and 15th.

I talked to a co-worker and she said the tickets can run $20-$30 each in the cheap seats. Possibly could cost even more because they did so well in the playoffs last year.

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

Might I request that the Cubs game, if included on the 'official' schedule, be on the 14th? [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
You have some interesting friends Noemon.

Do you guys have your birthday parties at the local gas station?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of costs: how much do you think an average Kama would spend during 3 weeks (considering I'd need to eat, drink, take a bus or train, and visit places like museums and stuff)?

Also, if we organize the Con at a hotel I'd be staying there, even though the rest of the time I'd rather haunt people's houses [Smile]

I think a game would be cool, but probably a lot of other things would too.

*counts saved money*

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

But you're hardly an average Kama, Kama!
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
okay then, an original Kama [Razz]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

rivka is that because you do, or don't want to see the game? I'm guessing you couldn't see it til after sundown and the game even if a night game would probably start before sundown because it is summer and the days are long. Also the time of the game hasn't been announced yet.

AJ

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my gosh! I just went to put this on my calendar as a tentative -- and realized that's the weekend of my daughter's 15th birthday!!

which means I would have to bring her along, of course...... she would kill me otherwise.... a trip to Chicago on her birthday with her...

::note to self - save more money::

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Evil] Don't. And if it's a night game, then Friday works even better.

I figure I'll get y'all to schedule the things I'm not interested in when I can't come; that way the things that I am interested in might be when I can.

xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose I am an obvious choice for planning this event, since I have lived in Chicago all my life.

*takes deep breath*

Okay. First of all, what are we looking to get out of the con? Truthfully, my favorite times with Jatraqueros all were simply sitting around and talking. Going out for an event is fun, but it's not necessary, I think, to have a good time. Therefore, I propose that the majority of the weekend be spent cooped up in a hotel. [Big Grin]

I'm certainly not against a little siteseeing, though, especially since we will have foreign visitors. A Cubs game would be fine with me. I've never been to Wrigley Field (third generation Sox fan, here), and it's about high time I went. But there's also plenty of things to do in town that are cheap or even free. The Art Institute of Chicago takes donations for their entrance fee. Suggested donation is $10 for adults, but I've paid as little as $1.50 in change and gotten in. [Smile] The Lincoln Park Zoo is free, and right next to it is the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum, which has a lovely butterfly garden. We could also just hang about the Museum campus or walk up and down the lakefront. Lots to see on the Lake--I should know, I've walked over 13 miles of the front. I think Saturday or Sunday would be the best day for an outing, depending on religious restrictions.

Now, about the hotel: the one I had in mind is the Sheraton Chicago Northwest, which I would link to but the link is longer than the length of this post. It's right down the street from Arlington Race Track and a Metra station, and has a free shuttle to the Woodfield Mall and other locations within a 5 mile radius. Which means we could probably get free shuttle rides to the train station.

One of the things I disliked about Wenchcon was all the coming and going from the meeting room, especially during the movie. This is why I think having 2-3 small meeting rooms would be better. It just so happens that I've attended monthly Mensa meetings at this hotel, and that's the setup they use. One lecture room, one hospitality room, one game room. I'm thinking we would one one bigger meeting room for general hanging out, a smaller audio/visual room for them as wants to watch TV and movies, with possibly a third room for gaming/hospitality. I've taken the liberty of requesting a quote from the hotel; they should get back to me within 48 hours. And yes, I did ask if the offer vegetarian/vegan/kosher food. [Smile]

I'd also be happy to check out other hotels that people may have in mind. I like the idea of staying in the suburbs close to an L or Metra station. Downtown is too busy for my tastes, plus there's the lack of parking for those of us who would be driving. There's some hotels with meeting rooms near Midway... but truthfully, the area around Midway is not that great. Schaumburg at least has lots to do... shopping, Gameworks, movies. Oh, and it'll be rallye season, so there might possibly be a road rallye running that Saturday ($15 a car! Cheap and fun!).

[ January 22, 2004, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: xnera ]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

xnera, you're great! You've clearly put a lot of thought and effort into your suggestions. Thank you. And I appreciate you requesting kosher food. [Smile]

[rant] All hotels/motels should have a web site! The little independents should band together and put up the equivalent of brochures with number of rooms, amenities, etc. It's so FRUSTRATING trying to find hotels in a specific area! Especially when, like me, you are geographically impaired, and dealing with a city I have not been in as long as I can remember. [Grumble]

And doesn't the CTA have a trip-planner? I just want it to tell me where the closest stations to a given address are. Instead there are these maps, and matching the landmarks on the subway maps with those on the Yahoo maps is . . . challenging. Huge parks which show up on the Yahoo map show no trace on the subway map. Where did they go? [Angst] And so figuring out which of the maps is the right one took quite a lot of trial-and-error. Mostly error . . . [Blushing]
[/rant]

Even after poring over maps all day, I confess to not having much idea where anything is. I kid not about being geographically impaired! But if we could find something that works for everyone in/near the 60659 zip code, it would take care of the kosher food problem for me (since there are a some kosher restaurants and stores (and one of my cousins, I think) in walking distance) AND mean that I could walk to synagogue (there seem to be two or three thereabouts) on Saturday morning, which I would love to be able to do.

This map (together with the yahoo maps) leads me to believe that I am referring to south Lincolnwood and the area near Northeastern U; and that there are buses? trains? both? nearby.

On this page, I found some hotels in that zip, but finding out information beyond their phone numbers and addresses is IMPOSSIBLE! [Wall Bash] Not surprisingly, many are near each other, like these two:
Lincoln Inn, 5952 N Lincoln Ave, Chicago, IL 60659, (773-784-1118)
Lincoln Motel, 5900 N Lincoln Ave, Chicago, IL 60659, (773-561-3170)

Now, if the latter were a cheapish motel and the former a nicer place, and if their addresses really do indicate that they are a block or so apart, then it would be possible to keep happy both those who want to stay cheaply and those who don't -- at least in theory. It's a nice theory, neh? [Wink] But since I can't find any info, I suspect they're both cheapish motels. *sigh*

If there is no hotel that works for everyone in the area, then I'll figure something else out. [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

xnera

We really appreciate you taking on the heavy role of having to help coordinate this thing -- I realize it is a huge task, so you have my applause!

My suggestion/question -- will there be anyplace near (a park, etc) that has a huge open area where we could maybe get together an impromtu game of touch football, or tourney frisbee, or softball? Something where we can get out and stretch our legs and burn some energy?

I'm sorry, but as a farmgirl, I CAN'T stay pent up inside the whole time -- I have got to spend some of the time outdoors or I will go crazy!!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I suppose we can look at hotels near the Grant Park area....
BannaOj
Member # 3206

The Sheraton hotel (I was wondering if that was what you were thinking of xnera) is next to the Arlington Heights Race track. There is actually quite a bit of greenspace around there.

We probably should check the race track schedule and make sure there are no major stakes races then? Also it is within walking distance of the metra though the metra is on the opposite side of the race track. It is that borderline distance where a shuttle would be nice but not necessary.

For rivka, can you take public transportation on the sabbath? If not the best solution might be to put you on before sabbath and send you to your cousins and then retrieve you afterwards.

xnera if we do have it at the Sheraton I'm willing to help out with supplies etc since you know I live right there.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

here's your trip planner...

http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/

AJ

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And there are always discount packages, I've never paid a rack rate yet
Ooh - ask if they have a 'Rack rate [Razz]

Personally, if I'm spending money to go to Chicago, I'd rather spend the time seeing as much of Chicago as I can, rather than as much of a hotel conference room in a Chicago suburb that I can. But that's just me.

I would love a day at the Art Institute and the Field Museum (yay Field Museum!) and another morning or afternoon spent downtown. (One must eat at Gino's and scribble on the walls when one is in Chicago)

..but this said, I tend to be the type of person who spends every minute of a vacation walking around exploring new places, and this can wear people out. And of course I want to spend time with as many Jatraqueros as possible.

My proposal: Plan outings during the days, and then plan fun social Jatraquero things during the nights. One of these things should totally be a white elephant exchange [Razz]

And another favor - can we pretty please have a t-shirt design contest? Let's name this thing fast so I can make a cool t-shirt design.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't elephants grey or pink? [Wink] Where did you find a white one, and how doy you get it on the plane?
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Oooooo! T-shirt! ::applauds Annie's idea::

FG

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Would Eros Con give folks entirely the wrong idea?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Like WenchCon didn't [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.