FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The "Interesting, Space Related News" Thread (Page 5)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: The "Interesting, Space Related News" Thread
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like SMART-1 has made it into lunar orbit without incident. I love that that ion engine is performing so well.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon,

The OMV was intended to go out and grab satellites in higher orbits than the Shuttle could get to, and bring them back to the Shuttle or Station for servicing. It would then take responsibility for boosting them back up.

OMS vs. Space Station is really not an apt comparison. Apples and Wingnuts. The OMV was to be remotely piloted--no humans on board.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Ah. Thanks Steve.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Wow, busy day. I can't believe that I'm only now getting a chance to check my regular science sites. NewScientist has an article on the NASA's successful near-Mach 10 flight.
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched the NASA/Dryden video (thank you NASA, than you Cable Modem!)

It was like "Oh, well, we'll just strap some old rocket booster under the wing of a B-52 (again!) and take it supersonic."

2004: You want supersonic? Sure, how fast would you like it?

And then the 10 ft long X-43A disengages from the nose of the rocket, opens up it's gate, pumps jet fuel into the air stream and hits Mach 9.6!

W00t.

...and then, when it's all over, it goes and dumps in the water? Where's my scuba gear...?

[edited for spellnig]

[ November 18, 2004, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: ssywak ]

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to believe those B-52s keep on trucking after all these years. What a durable design.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Noemon -- we were talking about that yesterday over in This Thread and I had some questions about the flight for you....

but you never answered..

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy that the Mars lander is doing so well. I'll post a thread on how it'll only cost 22 billion$ to send a team of 4 to Mars. (And trust me, my sources are from NASA itself, however a certain faction of NASA wants to use a plan that will cost 450 billion dollars for less results)
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

You know, I don't have any idea how that's actually measured FarmGirl. That's a good question.

As for the top speed a human body can endure, I think Dag's right--it's more about the rate of accelleration than it is the speed itself. We're all moving at mind boggling speeds already, if you think about it.

Steve, can you shed any light on Farmgirl's question?

Noemon
Member # 1115

Scientists Call for the Construction of Permanent, International Lunar Base by 2024
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw a great article in the paper today. It's written by an advisor to the company who wants to build the solar sats, so it's totally biased. But I'm all for any plan that gives me the potential to be a weather girl for another planet. "The travel forcast for Jupiter today is..."

Scientific shelter from the storm

quote:
But it turns our that two of the Sunshine State's most famous attributes, space vehicles and sunshine itself, could create permanent "hurricane shields" for the southeastern U.S., and Florida's leaders could begin encouraging insurers to finance these shields during their special legislative session this month.

The Space Island Group (SIG) in California is proposing to build a new type of rocket and 40 passenger space planes using the same engines and fuel tanks now built for NASA's space shuttle. SIG's economics secret is that they'll leave each rocket's hollow 747-sized fuel tanks in orbit when empty, outfit their interiors as living and working quarters, and lease them to commercial tenants. These lease revenues will let them carry solar satellites components and assembly personnel to orbit at no charge.

Hurricane protection and space tourism in one package deal?! What's not to love? I need to write my state rep.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
How about a logistical nightmare when these things eventually have to be brought back to earth, and just generally all the space garbage that may be added (which is already pretty bad).

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we could use the current space junk for fuel and spare parts?
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Spirit claims Mars water prize
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
You know you've been spending too much time at LiveJournal when you see that headline and your first reaction is to wondering if http://www.livejournal.com/users/spiritrover/ has posted about it yet.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Stormy!
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
West Wing on NBC is going to have something on asteroids tonight. I don't have any details, just have seen "asteroids" on their trailers this week.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Frost! There's frost on the Oppourtunity!
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

The Boeing Delta 4 didn't get the satelite into orbit. Boeing thinks it can fix the problem before this fall when it's supposed to begin carrying satelites into space. Here's hoping.
eslaine
Member # 5433

New data on Martian Volcanoes.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Deep Impact ready to launch
Noemon
Member # 1115

And just 3 more days before Huygens smacks into Titan!
eslaine
Member # 5433

Finally.... [Smile]
Noemon
Member # 1115

I know! I hope the thing activates properly when it hits Titan's atmosphere.
eslaine
Member # 5433

Do you have a link on that?
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
How the earthquake changed earth not only did the North Pole move 2.5 centimeters, but our days are 3 microseconds shorter too!
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I *thought* our days felt like they'd been 3 microseconds shorter!

Elaine, I'll see what I can dig up.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Here you go Erik--this is the most recent article I came across.

[ January 11, 2005, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
And this is the site from JPL@NASA for Cassini-Huygens.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't heard about the deep impact mission. That's what I get for not keeping closer tacks on the space related news.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Opportunity Spots Curious Object
Noemon
Member # 1115

Huygens Enters Titan's Atmosphere, Successfully Deploys Parachute

Whoo-hoo! It survived entry!

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Oh! You beat me Jake! I meant to mention something about that yesterday.

Isn't it so cool??

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Question about this, though.

Why did they have the small transmitter on Huygens transmit directly back to the dish on Earth -- instead of having it transmit back to the Cassini mothership, which could then boost the signal back to Earth?

FG

Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah Farmgirl, I'm a little confused too. In the article I linked to on the 11th, the final paragraph read
quote:
The Cassini spacecraft has a three-hour window to listen to the signals transmitted from Huygens; after that time has elapsed, Cassini’s trajectory will have carried it out of sight of the probe (and the probe’s battery will be used up soon after). Cassini will then turn its antenna toward Earth and start transmitting what it has received from Huygens.
The New Scientist article that I just linked to today, though, clearly indicates that the probe is transmitting directly back to Earth. Hmmm.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Most deep space probes have a low-energy ID signal, that it sends back to earth (or maybe just non-directional) to give the team info as to it's status. It's a usually a slow data stream. Likely it's data antenna was set up to send to Cassini to save power/increase throughput.

-Bok

[ January 14, 2005, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That makes sense.
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

raw huygens data The first image pretty much sums up what's there.
satyagraha

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
That Huygens info kicks major buttocks.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Doesn't it? I love this kind of thing.

I found a kind of interesting article on Space.com talking about the possibility of aliens actually having visited Earth, among other things. Some of their assumptions are unbelievably poorly thought through, I think, but it's interesting nonetheless. Here it is.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Cassini-Huygens/index.html

is a slightly more polished version of the same thing. I'm excited though cause I've met some of the AZ people working on this!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Huygens is very cool. -290 degrees F to be precise.

The Washington Post had this in their article today:

quote:
Titan holds a particular fascination for scientists. Not only is it the only moon in the solar system known to have a significant atmosphere -- about 1 1/2 times as dense as Earth's -- but it is also regarded as "pre-biotic," with characteristics that Earth probably possessed before life evolved.
Very exciting.

A few heat lamps
A bit of God's Starter Mix®
And who knows!!!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Martian Carwash!!

[Eek!]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst]
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Not an awe-inspiring accomplishment, but how they got it there is just cool (and most promising)

SMART-1

Feyd Baron, DoC

EDIT: Spelling, what else?

[ January 26, 2005, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Architraz Warden ]

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
<--*loves the ion engine.* [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Despite having crashed, the Genesis capsule is yielding information about solar winds.

I'm glad it wasn't a complete bust!

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Smallest Star!
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if this has been linked yet, saw it on slashdot.com:
quote:
NASA officials have claimed they performed a risk analysis before deciding to cancel the last space-shuttle servicing mission to the Hubble Space Telescope, but no such analysis was ever done.

Worse, sources told UPI's Space Watch that NASA also has ignored at least one proposal to reduce the risk of sending a shuttle crew to Hubble - in order to justify its decision.
Over the past few weeks, several NASA officials have stated publicly the agency's decision to cancel further servicing to Hubble was made on safety issues alone, not cost.
[..cut]

Yet, one day later, NASA historian Steve n Dick gave a presentation at the American Association for the Advancement of Science annual meeting in Washington, in which he described the process by which that decision was made and revealed that, in fact, no formal risk analysis had been completed.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/hubble-05j.html

What crap [Frown]
Apperently, safety is a catch-all for ???? I don't know.
If no study was done, I don't know what criteria was used by former NASA administrator Sean O'Keefe to cancel the Hubble rescue missions. Manufactured BS? Hubble has only been the most productive optical telescope in history, it's not like it's worth salvaging.
:roll-eyes don't do it, maybe disgust-eyes:
What a complete cop-out from a once-proud and productive gov't agency. [Mad] [Frown]

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
As if asteroid or comet impacts and global warming weren't enough causes of the apocalypse to worry about, I just saw a new one: dark matter clouds could have been the cause of previous mass extinction events. I already knew that ordinary matter clouds could cause devasting climate change. [Frown]

Wow, my rant about NASA Sunday morning was surprisingly coherent considering I was up all night drinking vodka.
Morbo

[ March 07, 2005, 03:44 AM: Message edited by: Mormo ]

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.