FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Religious Education, Public Funds - some research help (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Religious Education, Public Funds - some research help
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
The 95k average teacher's salary plus benefits seems amazing to me. It makes me wonder, what is the starting salary? Are the benefits non-existent? Is NY really that much more expensive to live in then say Phx (where my friend with a master's in education makes 30k a year- I know her salary cause I helped get her on WIC and some other programs- she's got 2 kids).
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
The upgrades he mentions are those that the private school kids will use.

Which ones? I know that we never used public facilities for anything.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
The upgrades he mentions are those that the private school kids will use.

A few of them may be. Many are not.

And to be clear, I'm still unconvinced that these guys have only the district's best interests at heart. It does seem like it may be more nuanced that it was suggested, though.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The 95k average teacher's salary plus benefits seems amazing to me.
Teachers in DC make well over 80K, and have the possibility of making up to 130K if their students do well on tests.

I'm not sure, but it's my impression that average teacher salaries in the West are well below average teacher salaries in the East, even accounting for the cost of living. There are more cities in the East, and I think that factors in (as it really should, considering the difference in the price of real estate).

First year teachers in Dallas make at least 45K.

http://teacherportal.com/teacher-salaries-by-state

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Armoth, thank you for the explanation. [Smile]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Glenn Arnold said (way back on page 3)
quote:
First of all, you're just plain wrong. Teachers and administrators are receiving their contractually obligatory raises.

And all else being held equal, yes, but property values do go up, and development happens. The tax rate can't go up indefinitely, or we'll eventually be paying more in taxes than we pay for our mortgages.

And by the way, I haven't got a raise in three years, my brother in law got a 25% pay cut, my best friend spent much of this past year working a reduced work week (hence 20% pay cut) and my wife lost her job. In a good economy, I'm all for teachers getting raises, but right now isn't the time.

That may be true where Glenn lives, but it definitely isn't true where I live. I'm a public school teacher. Ten days have been cut out of the school year (five for students, plus five more for teachers), so there goes the pay for those days. Georgia states a state minimum salary for all teachers across the board, and local systems add to that. My system has cut that allowance by 30%. Also, all "extra stipends" like coaches, after-school work, lead-teacher, etc., are gone by the wayside. Plus there was no contractual raise. Plus insurance is going up. So, I'm now going to make less next year than I did when I moved to Georgia seven years ago. So, yes, the economy is affecting teachers as well. Also, the summer work I used to get with the state education department no longer exists, so I'm off to find non-education work. In Georgia, at least, teachers are not riding high on the proverbial hog.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.