FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do we get to tax these churches now? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Do we get to tax these churches now?
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"I also do not engage in debate with the homeless guy panhandling by my building every day."

I am no longer able to restrain myself.

I consider missionaries who proselytize, etc. to be only about 1/8 of a step below panhandlers on the "I really wish I was mean enough to punch this fool in the face" meter. Just sayin'.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
As soon as they ask you for money and insult you when you don't give it, I'll grant your comparison.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they won't let you in the building if you don't pay your 10%, as I understand it. So it's a delayed request.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

You do not understand correctly.

If you're talking about the temples, then tithing is the least of the obstacles to the general public.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not saying the general public. I'm saying that, as I understood it, failing to tithe could potentially lose you your temple recommend.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
On that note, is tithing normally tax deductible?
Do they give you the American equivalent of a receipt of donation to a registered Canadian charity or something?

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yes, it is.

---

If you're not talking about the general public, then the analogy REALLY falls down.

steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"As soon as they ask you for money and insult you when you don't give it, I'll grant your comparison."

It wasn't a comparison, per se. There is that 1/8 of a step difference.

My thought, when I deal with panhandlers, is "must you handle your pan in front of me?".

OK, sorry. I promise to grow out of that.

No, my thought is more like, "this country/town is going to shit." I really despise them.

My thought, OTOH, when dealing with missionaries, is "I really wish he could find something else to do right now. This is so not interesting to me." I actually have nothing against them. I almost like them. I myself am passionate, and like to covert people to this, that, or the other. Y'all know that. I just...am only interested in the things I am interested in, usually. I like studying religion at a remove, where I don't have to profess belief or care about it if I don't feel like caring about it. Proselytizing me puts me on the spot too much for me to be totally comfortable. It's too unexpected. I also don't like feeling like I can't escape. I'm really only speaking of missionaries approaching me on the street. I can't speak from experience re: someone knocking on my door. I usually just defer to someone else in the house who might actually find dealing with them worth their time. I've never been home alone when missionaries have called.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.