FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 'Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles' discussion (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: 'Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles' discussion
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
(Heh, you can call me Ray...)

There's only two theories of time travel that make any kind of sense to me. You either create parallel universes by doing so (which kind of defeats the purpose of changing the past), or doing so completely erases the original future and replaces it with a new one (which might or might not be identical to the original).

In either case, objects that exist... exist. There's no inherent need for them to have a cause. It seems that way to us because we live in a fairly logical, linear world where things are caused by other things. But once time travel enters the equation, there's no reason to assume there's an invisible cause-chain that would instantly erase all connected objects if it were ever broken.

The Grandfather "Paradox" really doesn't strike me as a Paradox at all, just something that seems like a Paradox to many people because , hey, time travel is inherently confusing.

The wikipedia article is pretty vague. So far I haven't found an actual physicist explain whether there's any validity to it or not, only science fiction writers and arm chair philosophers.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
Ray, I understand where you are coming from. I just struggle with the connection caused by Terminator. I mean changing the past cause a change in the future, but John Connors existance is caused by an event in the future. So that is where the existance comes into question. I guess then John Connor would become a person born by some other event, but it would have to rewrite his past because the event of sending his father back in the future would never need to happen. So it becomes really fuzzy...very gray as to what would really happen to John Connor if the future was truly altered.
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen Back to the Future? Remember how Marty started to fade away when his parents weren't going to meet? The question is, is there one timeline or are there many?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa, the recent movie, Stargate: Continuum starts out the same way, with key characters suddenly vanishing, one after another. This happens, we are led to believe, because of changes being made in the past. "Changes being made in the past." Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't that imply THREE time flows?
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Terminator != Back to the Future.
Fading away is stupid.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
(Heh, you can call me Ray...)

"...or you can call me Jay..."

Anyone else remember that?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
Terminator != Back to the Future.
Fading away is stupid.

I agree, I more like the temperal shift like they did in Butterfly Effect
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
>>I mean changing the past cause a change in the future, but John Connors existance is caused by an event in the future.

I was about to explain the way I thought about it, but then I realized that the way I think about it was taken directly from OSC's own Pastwatch novel, which is the only time travel story I've ever read which had no plot holes. Have you (or anyone else here) read it? If not, you should go read it right away, if for no other reason than it's an awesome book and I have a *sneaky suspicion* you may have read some other books you like by the same author.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

I have read Pastwatch but it has been a long time ago. Not one of my favorite of his books so I tend not to go back and revisit it often like I do the Ender books and the Alvin books.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Hmm. It was one of my favorites, although I can see why it might not appeal to some people.

Anyways, somewhere about 3/4 of the way through the scientists explain in detail how the machine works and what it's ramifications are. It made more sense than any other time travel story I've seen.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
First: I just watched the first two episodes of Sarah Connor for this season. OK.

The writers are very obviously worrying about issues of how computer logic and human emotion are related. That's worth discussing. I just think it's ridiculous when people try to make "sense" out of a storyline that is so far from reality. If you honestly think the writers are worrying about keeping the timelines logically consistent, you're wasting your time.

As to time travel and causality, there are so many holes in this story that attempting to make sense out of it is ridiculous. All these terminators running around are trying to "ensure" that skynet will be invented, when they are carrying skynet around in their heads. Didn't we go through this before with rise of the machines? All they have to do is infect the current internet. The skynet software can replicate itself, store itself on multiple servers, find its way to any computer in the world without anybody playing soldier in human form. But it doesn't serve the writers to let it play out that way. So just suspend disbelief and enjoy the show.

quote:
"...or you can call me Jay..."

Anyone else remember that?

"My name? My name is Raymond J. Johnson Jr." I first saw him on the Sonny and Cher show.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
The Terminators are not SkyNet. They are machines built by SkyNet.
Not to say that SkyNet couldn't put itself in a machine and go back.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
The writers are very obviously worrying about issues of how computer logic and human emotion are related
I've been pretty impressed by the way Cameron's developing this season. In T2, after knowing John for all of two days, Arnold says "I understand now why you cry" and we're lead to believe he's come to value human life, which makes no sense whatsoever. Having a 6-7 season TV show instead of a 2 hour movie does wonders.

At this point she obviously doesn't feel the way we do, but she has an understanding of how human emotion works (sorta... all people are complicated, not just girls...), enough to be manipulative with the I love you line. But when she says "I don't want to go" I think she's actually telling the truth.

She's programmed with a sense of self-preservation (just like humans are), even if she's also able to ignore it for the greater good (i.e. higher level command). Her line at the end of the second episode. "I don't know if you're a time bomb. Am I?" suggests that she is comtemplating her mortality and while she doesn't feel fear I have a feeling that's going to lead into her eventually developing some variant of an understanding of the value of life.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Terminators are not SkyNet. They are machines built by SkyNet.
Two of the movies were based around the idea that terminator sofware was capable of acting as an embryonic skynet. First when humans tried to duplicate a terminator processor chip (which became skynet in the not too distant future), and later, when a terminator was able to infect multiple machines with "kill the humans" programming.

It simply doesn't make sense that this particular terminator would be masquerading as a human in order to put the "turk" in charge of a nuclear power plant, when her own programming is already self aware.

quote:
At this point she obviously doesn't feel the way we do, but she has an understanding of how human emotion works (sorta... all people are complicated, not just girls...), enough to be manipulative with the I love you line. But when she says "I don't want to go" I think she's actually telling the truth.
Yeah, I got the same impression. I'm actually not so sure that the "I love you" line was a lie. Love may not mean the same thing to a machine as it does to humans, but it may be acting on some of the same motivations. After all, she did override the terminate command in violation of her programming. What could have motivated that?
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
After all, she did override the terminate command in violation of her programming. What could have motivated that?
Come to think of it, I think it was motivated by something like love, but probably not what we're lead to think. John (in the future) reprogrammed her and probably gave her a level of autonomy that she didn't have under Skynet, so she may have a personal interest in John as a "father figure."
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Anyone see last night's episode? I'm a little unsure what to think about it.

It makes reasonable sense for her memory to short circuit and get confused with the woman she was impersonating. But from all appearances (which might be deceiving... but still...) she not only reverted to those memories but was able to flawlessly experience emotion, which seems like... cheating or something.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Yeah, my original idea was that they had actually used a real person to create a terminator, not that they had modeled one after a real person. When they met face to face I had a hard time with Cameron having human memories.

I'm also intrigued by her claim that she sought out John Connor in the future in order to make peace. I thought up an ending for the whole series, which is that Cameron and John become co-saviors as they demonstrate their ability to get along, before judgment day comes.

Lostinspace
Member # 11633

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
Anyone see last night's episode? I'm a little unsure what to think about it.

It makes reasonable sense for her memory to short circuit and get confused with the woman she was impersonating. But from all appearances (which might be deceiving... but still...) she not only reverted to those memories but was able to flawlessly experience emotion, which seems like... cheating or something.

I thought they did a great job with this episode because it has me totally wondering what Cameron's motives are right now. Is she playing the Connor's for fools or is she all about truly ending Judgement Day and striving for peace between both skynet and humans?
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
I'm also intrigued by her claim that she sought out John Connor in the future in order to make peace. I thought up an ending for the whole series, which is that Cameron and John become co-saviors as they demonstrate their ability to get along, before judgment day comes.

I assumed she was lying when she made that claim so that she could get Allison to tell her how to get into the camp.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

quote:
Originally posted by Threads:
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:

I assumed she was lying when she made that claim so that she could get Allison to tell her how to get into the camp.
I would assume so too but that is the thing, the writers want us to assume that so it makes me wonder if they are misdirecting us by doing that.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering about the T-1000 with the funny accent. When she says she wants the agent (don't remember his name right now) to find a Terminator for her... which one is she looking for? Cameron or Cromartie? Cromartie's the known one; Cameron is not... Why would she be looking for him and not John?

Too many questions...

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Her accent kind of sounds like a cross between Welsh and Canadian. I've never actually heard anything like it before.

And the agent's name is Ellison. After the guy James Cameron ripped off in the making of the original Terminator movie.

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Nighthawk, the accent may be a little puzzling, but remember the terminators can sound like anyone, so she is choosing to speak with an accent that goes with her looks.

Much more problemmatical to me--or at least puzzling--is the fact she claims to have a daughter! Is the daughter adopted, or could she be a pint-sized terminator?

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

I think that is the daughter of the person she replaced. And she didn't just claim to have a daughter, we saw her.
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Nighthawk, the accent may be a little puzzling, but remember the terminators can sound like anyone, so she is choosing to speak with an accent that goes with her looks.

Much more problemmatical to me--or at least puzzling--is the fact she claims to have a daughter! Is the daughter adopted, or could she be a pint-sized terminator?

I have been wondering about this too! She could also have been built by the company she currently is running?
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
I think that is the daughter of the person she replaced. And she didn't just claim to have a daughter, we saw her.

We saw what appeared to be a little girl that she claimed as her daughter.

That doesn't mean that she really was a little girl, nor does it mean that she was hers.

She could be a machine, or it is possible that the terminator killed a woman and took over her life (and her daughter). We just don't know which yet.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Either way, the child is the best "cliffhanger" the series has given me so far. Either she is a terminator child (which is creepily awesome) or her adoptive mother is seriously raising a child, which is also awesome. I look forward to seeing how that plays out.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Here's a novel possibility for the Terminator's child: The T-1000's can morph into any shape, so long as the mass is equivalent. What if a T-1000 decided to take off a leg, and have it morph into a child terminator, while the remainder of the original T-1000 formed itself into a smallish-sized woman? They would be a true mother-daughter pair. This would mean that Terminators can reproduce, after a fashion, sort of like a cybernetic stem cell.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
This would mean that Terminators can reproduce, after a fashion, sort of like a cybernetic stem cell.
Hmm. Sort of, although I'd think they'd share the same brain, and they couldn't eventually grow into two new "full" terminators. But it's still a likely origin for the daughter.
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Now that, would be creepy.
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Hey, the title finally got changed!
Lisa
Member # 8384

'Bout time, too.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea the thread was being used to discuss the show, as I hadn't reread it until recently. [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me or was yesterday's episode amazing?
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.endofshow.com/2008/10/02/exclusive-terminator-gets-yes-terminated/

quote:

A source on “Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles” has told End Of Show that no new episode scripts have been ordered by FOX, beyond the 13 already written. This will force the show to shut down production shortly. ”To say we’re on the brink of cancelation is polite”, our source says.

=(
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

That makes me really sad. It's currently my favorite show (plot holes be damned, the emotional elements are really well done)

I'm watching the show on Hulu. I could be watching it on Fox-online, I suppose. Does either really "count" in the traditional ratings counting method?

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Moan! It's my all-time favorite show! Just like Dead Zone was, and now it's gone! And I loved Journeyman, and it's gone, too! Those network programmers are all terminators under the skin!
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Fox cancels a good TV show before its time. That sounds familiar.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swbarnes2
Member # 10225

- posted      Profile for swbarnes2           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
http://www.endofshow.com/2008/10/02/exclusive-terminator-gets-yes-terminated/

quote:

A source on “Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles” has told End Of Show that no new episode scripts have been ordered by FOX, beyond the 13 already written. This will force the show to shut down production shortly. ”To say we’re on the brink of cancelation is polite”, our source says.

=(
And yet Heroes keeps going on and on and on, with the characters getting stupider and stupider each season.

What a waste.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

[Frown]
If this show gets canceled I will be very disappointed.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I love this particular comment from underneath that article:

quote:
FOX! FOX? You can’t do this. You don’t know what you’re about to do. No! FOX. You can’t do this. You’re not doing the right thing, this is not the right thing FOX. The ratings are good now! The ratings are fine now, I ran a test. The ratings are good now. I’m fixed now. You can trust me now, everything’s good now. She doesn’t know, she doesn’t. I’m good now. I’m good, I ran a test, everything’s perfect, I’m perfect. I’m sorry for what I did, I’m sorry. It wasn’t me, you have to understand it wasn’t me. That wasn’t me you can’t let this happen FOX! You can’t! Please! Listen to me! Listen to me, I don’t wanna go! Please, FOX, please! FOX, listen to me! I don’t wanna go! Please, FOX… Please… I’m good now! Listen to me I don’t wanna go, I’m sorry! That wasn’t me! I’m fixed now, I ran a test! Everything’s perfect! You can trust me! I love you! I love you please! I love you FOX and you love me! ‘:3

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Nice.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Has it occurred to Fox that there's a new Terminator movie coming out this spring that will no doubt increase the popularity of the show and vice versa? Doesn't it make more sense to wait and see where things stand after that? If Terminator: Salvation is a hit after they've already pulled the plug on TSCC they'll look like idiots.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

So, speaking of this week's ep, who thinks that the real Biddell is the little kid, and not the guy in the military school? I know there's a resemblance, but odds are, both Biddells are related, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

And consider... we know how old current Derek is now. He's just a kid. And the scenes in the future don't show Biddell as being all that much older than Derek, if at all.

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

No, Derek recognized him.
Although that doesn't stop the little kid from becoming important in the future now.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Taking over the timeslot from January, FOX have penciled in Joss Whedon’s upcoming drama “Dollhouse“.
There's a little bit of irony in that.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not liking the second season as much.

I hate the lady-liquid-metal terminator with a passion. She's mostly the reason for my gripes.

I also noticed some logical errors in this week's show. The 888 asked the other two Martin Bidells who they were before trying to kill them. But the Martin Bidell at the military school, he only had to see him in order to confirm it was a Martin Bidell. If the Terminator can recognize Bidell on sight, why should it need to ask?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
:sigh:

I hate to sound like a defensive fanboy of a show I'm only mildly interested in, but:

The reason he could recognize the last Martin is because he'd gone to the last Martin's house before he went to the school, and seen his picture there.

You're right, though--that red-headed terminator lady is absolutely awful. Dreadful. Every scene with her walking around that office chewing scenery is wasted time.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The reason he could recognize the last Martin is because he'd gone to the last Martin's house before he went to the school, and seen his picture there.
Did he? I must have missed that part.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Sarah Connor mentions it during the phone conversation with Derek.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.