FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do you pronounce "buried"? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: How do you pronounce "buried"?
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Except there's no "ah" in my life. As I said, I pronounce it like lie+f. Lie has no "ah" sound in it. Maybe I should clarify in case you don't know: I'm not from (nor have I lived in) the Deep South.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
The "crowns" thing drives my sister crazy - she teaches early elementary school in Maryland. They say "the crowns are in the draw" instead of "the crayons are in the drawer".

With life, I suppose "lahf" is the way Foghorn Leghorn says it. I've also heard it as "lie-f" where the "lie" is a little bit longer. I suppose the only way I could spell how I say it is "Lyfe" - one very short syllable.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

FlyingCow's right; Foghorn Leghorn is one of the exaggerated ones I was talking about before. Maybe "lahf" is for people from the Deep South. I don't hear it around Oklahoma/Texas though.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
President Bush says it.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Yeah, but you really can't take Bush as representing all Texans. I mean look at how many other words he mispronounces. *shakes his head*
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
With life, I suppose "lahf" is the way Foghorn Leghorn says it. I've also heard it as "lie-f" where the "lie" is a little bit longer. I suppose the only way I could spell how I say it is "Lyfe" - one very short syllable.
I bet if we recorded me and you speaking pfresh, you would have a longer, more open-mouthed "i" than I do in my "life". You don't have to be from the Deep South to have a bit of an accent compared to up where I live. It may be incredibly subtle, but I bet there's a difference, enough to place you in the south and me in the north.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Teshi, were you responding to pfresh, or to me? You seem to have quoted me, and responded to pfresh. [Confused]
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all about the diphthong. The long-I sound is two sounds together - "ah" and "ee". People down here just leave off the "ee" part. Or they make the "ah" much longer and the "ee" much shorter (to the point of being unnoticeable) than people ... elsewhere.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Teshi, were you responding to pfresh, or to me? You seem to have quoted me, and responded to pfresh.
Ah sorry, I did mean to do that. I meant to use your commment in order to continue my explanation. I can see it's confusing.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Kahh-ri-mel. there is no "uh"
quote:
I grew up saying Kahh-ri-mel but now it sometimes comes out CAR-muhl
Ok, now I'm confused. Which "ahh" do you mean?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought there was only one (the sound in pot), but apparently some people use "ah" to represent the sound in pat, too.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

There's no "ah" in pot!

[Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
I thought there was only one (the sound in pot), but apparently some people use "ah" to represent the sound in pat, too.

The sound in pot is not an "ah"; it's an "ahhhh" (as in, "Stick out your tongue").

How would you represent the sound in pat, using only the English alphabet?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I've been doing it by specifically saying in a parenthetical (the "a" sound from cat, pat, sat, etc)
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
quote:
Kahh-ri-mel. there is no "uh"
quote:
I grew up saying Kahh-ri-mel but now it sometimes comes out CAR-muhl
Ok, now I'm confused. Which "ahh" do you mean?

You mean in the "Kahh" part? *thinks* I mean like the A in "cat" except NewEnglandized, with more breath.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:

The sound in pot is not an "ah"; it's an "ahhhh" (as in, "Stick out your tongue").
Stick out your tongue? [Confused] At any rate, I don't see how sticking more h's on the end makes it represent a different sound.

quote:
How would you represent the sound in pat, using only the English alphabet?
"a"
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Doesn't your doctor tell you to stick out your tongue and say "ahhh"?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I get that part. I'm not sure what that has to do with the vowel in pot, though, unless you're saying that you stick out your tongue when you say it.
rivka
Member # 4859

The sound my doctor asks me to make is the sound in pot. And soft.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh-oh. Here we go again. My pot and soft are two different vowel sounds! [Wink] (But my ahhhhh for the doctor is the same as the vowel sound in pot. "Soft" has the NY awww sound. But I do know a lot of people who pronounce both sounds the same.)

I wouldn't normally represent the "cat" vowel sound w/ "ahh" but that is the sound I read when I saw Kahh-ri-mel (or however it was spelled). So FWIW (not much!) I say that first "a" like the one in cat.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? The sound in soft is the same as the sound in dawn or thought.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I thought it was clear after several pages of this kind of thing that some people use the same sound for words like cot and caught, and some people don't.

Link

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

It's still weird. Tot and taught, bot and bought, sot and sought, hot and whatever it is that Paris Hilton says...
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Cot and caught DO sound the same! I never realized it.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

So alike to you, so different to me.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.