FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lament Over Hatrack, or, Our Greatest Moment is Before Us (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Lament Over Hatrack, or, Our Greatest Moment is Before Us
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been told I look like Beck, so he can play me.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
You're tearing me apart! [Angst]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenine Garaffalo can play me. Partly because she looks a little like me (only cuter), Partly because I want to hear her say things I know she would violently disagree with, but mostly because I want to see her in Pixie Wings.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure I'd be played by John Goodman.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Alyson Hannigan or Melissa Joan Hart.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
I actualy nominate Rollo Weeks, who looks much more like me than William Shattner.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Your not THAT funny, Tom. [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And yet, the primary complaint against me, which has dominated every thread I have created in the past week, much to my dismay and horror, is that I write differently, that my writing is indicative of the other, even that I placed a circumflex in a strange manner.
Still haven't got it.

If all different usage of the English language was equally readable, you'd have a point worth working on. However it doesn't even remotely work this way. The idea that "oh, you guys are just ganging up on me because my writing style is different" is as bunk as it would be if you were writing in leetspeak or pig latin.

e.g., It's not that your writing is "indicative of the other," it's that your writing is "so bad that people don't know what the hell you are talking about."

Plus, this seems to be a peripheral issue. People are more concerned, apparently, with my point #2, involving stuffiness and obnoxiousness.

In fact, it's starting to mute into a point #3: Your dramatics are so overblown and ridiculous that it's fairly comical. You can't even post without managing to sound like a caricature of an obsessive dramatic.

Like with this:

quote:
I realize that it is now perhaps to late for me, and that, in the eyes of many here, I have been damned. I shall, however, remain here, whatever the opposition and I shall continue to post, even if only the newest members read what I say, even, indeed, if I am left whispering to the wind I shall remain, on the off chance that the wind may blow some of my words to the ears of those who will not consciously listen.
Even when ignoring the terrible sentence structure, it's still ridiculous. Yea, woe, I be damned, woe, resolute I stand in my ignominy to hope that my brilliant views might be seen by people who aren't yet nauseated by my posts, such is my selfless generosity to my unkind public. Woe, woe.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

I think it would be presumptuous of me to claim a monopoly on obnoxiousness, Samprimary.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest if I was told to act like myself in a scene you would probably get some slight variations every time the scene was run.

I think at 24 year old Johnny Depp would do a good job being me. Not that I look like him in any particular way, but I think he could adapt to capture my personality.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pelegius:
I think it would be presumptuous of me to claim a monopoly on obnoxiousness, Samprimary.

*Blammo!*
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Then it's probably a good thing that I've never stated anything to the effect that you should!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

After all, you are reaching levels of obnoxiousness I could never hope to achieve.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And yet, the primary complaint against me, which has dominated every thread I have created in the past week, much to my dismay and horror, is that I write differently, that my writing is indicative of the other, even that I placed a circumflex in a strange manner.

I believe in a vibrant Hatrack with many styles of writing, as many as there are posters.

The circumflex was there, IMO, because of a consciously pretentious and pompous style. This is not strange, but all too common in young, intelligent writers.I chose to comment on it because it seems emblematic of your style problems. AFAIK, it is not in commom usage in modern English.

I also believe in a lively Hatrack with many styles of writing. And I'll criticise/parody some of those styles. That's a small but significant part of the Hatrack Experience™.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
After all, you are reaching levels of obnoxiousness I could never hope to achieve.

Wrong again.

He is just doing it for better reasons. With fewer words.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Then hey, don't worry about me or anything I've said. I absolutely think you've got a persecution thing going on. I actually don't think you can read this situation at all. If my trying to point this out is nothing but sheer obnoxiousness to you, then, there you go. Forget about me. You are absolutely welcome to continue acting exactly the way you act.
MightyCow
Member # 9253

From now on, I'm only going to read the Pelegious posts which sound like a soliloquy. As long as there's damnation and purgatory, and it sounds like an angsty Jr. High goth kid trying out for drama class, you've got my ear.

Heck, you've got my bow!

P.S. Gene Wilder can play me.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My professor studied with Charles E. Curran
The Who-now?

Well, my professors studied with, with, Einstein! and Charles Dickens and Aristotle.

We are the only university with a time-travel device.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
I was planning on holding off posting for certain significant-post-count reasons, but this is enough for me to re-register.

Pelegius, what Sam (and really, almost everyone in this damn thread) is doing amounts to surgery; it's sharp, it's direct, it hurts, and you need it if you hope to survive, here or in the real world.

People before me have summarized what I want to say at least as well as I can, so I'm just going to ask questions that I can't recall you answering.

1) Do you talk like this in real life?

2) In your real life, is your worth as a human being determined by how well educated you are, how well educated your teachers were, what academic credentials you have, etc.?

3) Do you judge whether other people are worthy of talking to based on the aforementioned criteria?

It's true that a lot of people here either dislike you or find you hard to swallow because of the way you present yourself here, but rather than wallowing in the misery and attempting to justify yourself, why not just try thinking about what people have said? When opinion is this universal, it generally means something.

To quote Asimov (who, admittedly, isn't the best of writers, but bear with me):

quote:
The robot said, "I have been trying, friend Julius, to understand some remarks Elijah made to me earlier. Perhaps I am beginning to, for it suddenly seems to me that the destruction of what should not be, that is, the destruction of what you people call evil, is less just and desirable than the conversion of this evil into what you call good."

He hesitated, then, almost as though he were surprised at his own words, he said, "Go, and sin no more!"

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen
Member # 9551

- posted      Profile for Gwen           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In fact, it's starting to mute into a point #3: Your dramatics are so overblown and ridiculous that it's fairly comical. You can't even post without managing to sound like a caricature of an obsessive dramatic.

Like with this:

quote:
I realize that it is now perhaps to late for me, and that, in the eyes of many here, I have been damned. I shall, however, remain here, whatever the opposition and I shall continue to post, even if only the newest members read what I say, even, indeed, if I am left whispering to the wind I shall remain, on the off chance that the wind may blow some of my words to the ears of those who will not consciously listen.
Even when ignoring the terrible sentence structure, it's still ridiculous. Yea, woe, I be damned, woe, resolute I stand in my ignominy to hope that my brilliant views might be seen by people who aren't yet nauseated by my posts, such is my selfless generosity to my unkind public. Woe, woe.
But you have to admit that it's hilarious.

quote:
Well, my professors studied with, with, Einstein! and Charles Dickens and Aristotle.

We are the only university with a time-travel device.

St. Cedd's?
Posts: 283 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I alone in finding this whole dialogue completely pointless, and having little sympathy for either Pelegius or his critics?

Pelegius, why don't you just return to the serious threads and make yourself heard? If people respond with insults to your writing style, demand that they address your arguments and if they don't, point out that they're conceding the real issue to you.

That said, I know you're an admirer of the analytic tradition in philosophy. (Glad to have another one on the board, btw.) Why not look again (or for the first time, if you haven't read it) at Naming and Necessity. See how clear Kripke is, how he avoids flowery locutions and how it improves his ability to get his point across. The great philosophers of our time try to write in plain language. Why not emulate them?

And to the rest of Hatrack: I've said my piece about Pelegius's writing, phrased as a suggestion and not an insult, and I see no need to mention it ever again. I can't understand why you all don't adopt the same attitude.

Why be mean about it?

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
My first thought to play me was Michael Wincott, but he's looking a bit old these days. Perhaps Crispin Glover with a wig?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Destineer - I don't think everyone's being mean about it.

And I have no idea who'd play me... Actually - can I play myself??

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I would assume Jim Belushi for me as people are constantly telling me I look like him (which I assume is a pleasant way of saying "overweight and balding").

And people who continue to say "hatrack, you're so MEAN" are welcome to find other fora, as far as I'm concerned. Hatrack is an enormously kind place as far as net stuff goes. In fact, I'm of the opinion a large portion of the problem with hatrack is that the main of the population here is entirely too nice and too tolerant of people who play the martyr card. Largely because of this, hypersensitive nonsense like (and often worse than) this thread has a tendency to crop up from time to time.

There were times when people would kill each other over insults. Modern day gang members still do. Part of being an adult is being able to hear "you suck", both when warranted and not, and get on with your life. Before I sound too high and mighty about this, I'll freely admit that I only started learning to in the last couple of years, myself.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Pel,
I was thinking about this thread today, and about Hatrack in general. I'm actually a great deal like you. I'm 17 (turning 18 on Wednesday! woohoo!). I have a great love for classical stuff. I even wax eloquent like you sometimes, though I will say not nearly to the same extent as you, at least not in writing. Also, (and I'm assuming a bit about you here, but oh well), I'm used to being one of the smartest, most well-read, most intellectual, most eloquent people in the room.
And therein lies the beauty of Hatrack, at least for me. They make me feel stupid [Smile] . And I know, that's an extreme way of putting it, and not strictly true. The people on here, they are very smart (most of them), and most of them are very well thought out, and articulate. Much more so than me. They humble me. This is, for me, the safest place for me to go where I am not looked at as someone smart. I come here and people aren't suprised when I don't know something or when I have nothing to say. It's wonderful. There are no expectations on me.

I was going to say something else, but I'll leave it at that.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Well put.
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ssasse
Member # 9516

- posted      Profile for ssasse           Edit/Delete Post 
I call dibs on Dame Judi Dench! And there must be a headdress.

----

Edited to add: Picture of me. A little frown, some squint of the eye -- yeah, she could do it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 132 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
(Pelegius, I didn't want to derail it, but your three posts in the "maternal feelings" thread were much better. They sounded more "real".)
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Camryn Manheim for me. But she'll have to lose the extra earrings.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Stewart could do me justice. Even though he doesn't look a thing like me.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathy Bates, younger and sassier, for me. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I beg that even those who have sworn forever to ignore me read this post in its entirety, even if it is their last.

SAALAM.

I still didn't make past the first paragraph. But I am weak. [ROFL]
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't sworn to ignore him completely, but I probably will. Or, maybe, you know, skim his posts until my eyes glaze over and then give up. Which essentially amounts to the same thing.

Eh, whatever. [Dont Know]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:

There is no fear of the other, this has been said so many times that I fear it is becoming a creed which all Hatrackers must sign daily. And yet, the primary complaint against me, which has dominated every thread I have created in the past week, much to my dismay and horror, is that I write differently, that my writing is indicative of the other, even that I placed a circumflex in a strange manner.

I did read this paragraph. So I MUST respond. I cannot tear myself from this thing.

If you REALLY think this is the main complaint against you, then you are just not qualified to dress yourself. The complaints have been myriad and confusing, yes, but I think the grievous complaint, the real stinker, is not how you write.

We can HELP you write well. I can tell you what is wrong with your writing and you can work on it; you can learn. This is not so much a tragic flaw as a constant annoyance to everyone, this innability of yours to be clear in your writing. This is the clearest you've been, and I like that. See? Things can get better for you.

These are the complaints as I see them in no particular order:

1. Your tone. The first thing people notice after the writing style, is the tone you use, which is highly effected. Aristotle wrote (and I believe him) that people naturally become aware of falseness in speach; that it becomes self-evident over time. It doesn't take very long for your tone to start grating on the reader.

2. Your ideas. This is the BIG ONE. Though hinting at some things which are essentiall discoveries for everyone in their own time, your ideas most often lack clarity, weight, precision, or import. You merely declare things and you believe that if you couch them properly, they will SOUND correct. This goes to your tone, but you forget that you must be willing and able to think about things critically and show your thought process. Go back and read some Platonic dialogues, and marvel at the simplicity of them, the clarity and the progression. Plato makes it look so simple.

Horace is oft-quoted saying that "Poetry [apply this to all the arts], must instruct and delight." Your prose make people wretch, your ideas make people do a :facepalm: in embarassment on your behalf. While I don't mean to embarrass you yet further, you must be made aware of how foolish you look to me at least, and I surmise, to others as well.

3. Your presentation. You consistently offer, out of the blue, a poorly polished thought or idea which is clouded in a bunch of quotations no one ever heard before, and which are made to seem important, but may not be. Regardless of their import, they are far too broad to be meaningfully applied to the scant contribution you usually try to make. Your tone is involved in this too, because you treat your pithy thoughts with such weight. When I post pithy thoughts, I write them in a pithy post, so that those who are not interested in general pithosity may avoid them.

4. Your style. This I have handled a little above. Your style is effected and ridiculous, and you don't have the gravitas or the understanding to back it up. It is out of place, unintelligable, and just generally embarrassing.

5. Your attitude. Also going to tone and style. Every conversation begins with your contribution, which as I have repeatedly said, is ussually a manipulation into a discussion about YOU. If you aren't manipulating things this way, then you are naturally the most selfish most self-centered person I have ever heard of. You constantly whine and complain, and you mock everyone else for anything and everything we do wrong, but you don't dane to accept the slightest blame for a bad idea or an ill-planned remark.

These items are all part of the same general cloud that surrounds you here. You are a charicature of a debater, and your essays frankly read like attempts at comedy. I see myself beginning to get vindictive, so I must force myself to stop for now. Please take this to heart if you can, and think over these things instead of inferring some jealousy or ideology which I have against you.

Any Hatracker that knows me knows that I too feel strongly about things, and can go overboard, make mistakes, hurt feelings, as we all can sometimes. But I think that also most will say that I have the ability to recieve a little perspective and think things through to the other side of the equation. My responses are mostly in view of what needs to be adressed, and there is progress in the discussions (fanfic not-withstanding, we all really felt strongly about that one). There is no progression in your threads, you don't seem to want to learn or teach anything in your discourse, and that frankly sucks.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

P.S. Gene Wilder can play me.

Is he still alive, even?
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yep.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I call Tom Hanks.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Really? He got so old-looking all of a sudden.

(Ok, that came out wrong. Translation: Ic, you look way better than he currently does!)

Orincoro
Member # 8854

Giovana Ribisi, but he would have to wear lifts and bulk up for the role.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka: Hehe. [Smile] I don't think he looks like me. I think he would portray me well. [Smile]

[ July 18, 2006, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have absolutely no idea who would play me.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Slappy the Squirrel [Razz]
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Hehe. [Smile] I don't think he looks like me. I think he would portray me well. [Smile]

I meant for me... Self centered anyone? [Wink]

I love QUIZNOS SUBS!!! That I can buy with coupons... and stuff... La la la

Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Any Hatracker that knows me knows that I too feel strongly about things, and can go overboard, make mistakes, hurt feelings, as we all can sometimes. But I think that also most will say that I have the ability to recieve a little perspective and think things through to the other side of the equation. My responses are mostly in view of what needs to be adressed, and there is progress in the discussions (fanfic not-withstanding, we all really felt strongly about that one). There is no progression in your threads, you don't seem to want to learn or teach anything in your discourse, and that frankly sucks.

This is much to your credit; you've definitely evolved into a much more tolerable human being in your duration here. [Wink]

Pel, take notes. I'm not kidding.

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I want Summer Glau to play me!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but that name always sounds like a mood disorder to me.

"While everyone else enjoyed the vacation, Sydney always felt vaguely stressed out. Maybe it was the lack of structure, or the heat, or maybe just that she felt more challenged during the school year, but whatever the cause she definitely suffered from summer glau."

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[Smile] I'm with ya, KarlEd.
MightyCow
Member # 9253

I've been pretty busy since I posted last. Did we have our Greatest Moment while I was away, or is it still before us?
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
We had it...It turned out the be the "Al Capone's vault" of greatest moments.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
I want Summer Glau to play me!

That seems like a natural choice for you, Shigosei.

I have no idea who would play me. Could I just vote for "not Tom Hanks"? 'Cause we don't look anything a like, and he's got that whole manic freaky thing going on.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.