FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gender Roles and Sex in History (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Gender Roles and Sex in History
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I mean, it's not like they'd get pregnant every time they had sex. And on top of that, the rate of miscarriage was probably high, so maybe the woman wouldn't even realize she was pregnant.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
In Guns, Germs, and Steel, Diamond said that nomadic cultures would sometimes control their birthrate (it's very difficult to have more than one child that has to be carried when you're a nomad) through abstinance.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
If people are having sex whenever with whomever, the connection might never come up. Especially when you bring infertility into the picture.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that's possible.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I managed to track down the article we were discussing. "The Meaning of Paternity and the Virgin Birth Debate." Carol Delaney. Man, New Series, Vol. 21, No. 3 (Sept 1986) 494-513.

Australian Aborigines and Trobriand Islanders. Sorry, I can't copy-paste anything and the text is way too long to type out now. I'll see if I can't do it later.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I reckon everybody is wrong at least once a day. Today my turn was very public.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Actually, you may still be right. The problem is that the early anthropologists didn't ask the right questions, and it's too late now. So we'll never know.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Probably copyright issues with trying to stick the full text on the boards, but I'd be interested to see a key passage or two.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Copyright issues and the fact that it's 20 pages long. I'll see what I can do about posting a couple bits tomorrow, though.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
It's also quite possible that early anthropologists were having their collective legs pulled.

People without advanced technology are still fully people, with all the intelligence and playfulness that implies. The "simple country rube" has always enjoyed pulling the leg of the "sophistocated city guy" about local customs and conditions. The differences in culture can make for a great deal of miscommunication, too.

If some arrogant foreigner walked up to you and asked "Do you people understand where babies come from?" what do you suppose you might answer?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember hearing a story about an anthropologist among the natives asking about their beliefs regarding disease.

Anthropologist: What causes sickness and diseases?
Native: Invisible beings.
Anthropologist: You mean like spirits?
Native: Yes, something like that. They get inside you then you get sick.
Anthropologist: This is fascinating! Can you tell me more about it?
Native: Sure! Come into the grass hut and I'll show you under the microscope. For example, these tiny little amoeba things that are invisible without special instruments get all over the food, then when you eat them they get inside you, and cause dysentary.

The natives had had prior contact with technological civilization.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Oh, quite likely, Tatiana. There's even some interview snippets where that seems like it might be what was going on. But no one followed up on it. Not the right questions.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:
And you can't prove anything.
Chat logs don't lie. [Taunt]

I think the worst I've had is feeling like my neck was going to snap. Mispositioned my head at a bad time.

That's what happens when you make love in the front seat of a truck, I..."cough"...hear.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy bat guano batman, this thread is huge! [Eek!]
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's what happens when you make love in the front seat of a truck, I..."cough"...hear.
...wait a minute.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, NOW he catches on..... [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:
...wait a minute.
That's what I kept saying.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.