FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sewing machines & shalwaars... Questions about crinkly fabric and making handbags p5 (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Sewing machines & shalwaars... Questions about crinkly fabric and making handbags p5
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. The wood case makes me wonder if it's older-- they don't go for as much sometimes because their motors aren't as strong. Check out this page and see if it looks like any of these.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(The very bottom one is just like mine except mine is a console machine in a beautiful table.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
It really looked the most like model 128 and the case was similar, deffinatly electric, it had similar decoration, but I think there was some red as well as the gold. I'll go this weekend and take a picture. It was in an area that very few people even go in.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmmm. I'd ask to try it out, then-- make sure it works well enough to be worth getting as more than just a collector's item.
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
quid - Thanks for the tip I'll have to try the vinegar. I always wash my colored stuff in cold water, so they don't bleed when I wash them, they bleed when I wear them.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think that's what we'll do. If it does work, it would be more than a powerful enough sewing maching for the ammount of sewing I do, when I move out.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
DMC and Anchor cotton embroidery flosses are both colorfast and do not need to be set further. Being 100% cotton, you may want to do a hot water soak to shrink if you're stitching on something not-cotton so you don't get puckering. Of course, I have no idea if either DMC or Anchor are available there. I'd volunteer to ship you stuff, but I remember the hassles you went through to get books and such that were sent to you.

ETA: We must have a high Indian population here. I see lots of women wearing shalwaar in town, I just never knew the name for them until this thread. I've seen some very beautiful sets, some that even I would want to wear!

[ October 25, 2005, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Breyer, just as long as it's not one of these that looks like an antique but isn't. [Smile]

ludosti - you're welcome. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Goody - thanks for the tips on the brands. I have no idea what's available here, but it looks like I'll find out soon. [Smile] Honestly, though, receiving smaller items through the mail is much easier than larger items - if a package is large enough that the local mail carrier can't deliver it himself, then it goes through the central post office and that's when it's opened. If a package is small enough for the local carrier to deliver, if it says something like "gift" on the outside, then it tends to go through with no problems.

Is a hot water soak necessary if we never wash anything with hot water here? Seriously, hot water tanks are almost always exclusively for use in the bathrooms only - when a house has them - and never for laundry. All laundry is either cold or lukewarm if it's later in the day. I don't do a hot water soak with any of the fabrics I prewash. Should I start doing that?

And Goody, does this mean we'll see you in a shalwaar soon? [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Breyer, just as long as it's not one of these that looks like an antique but isn't.
Actually, $100 would be a totally decent price for one of those, as long as it was what you wanted. [Smile]

quote:
And Goody, does this mean we'll see you in a shalwaar soon?
I wish they sold more around here! I would love some shalwaar kameez.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

It wasn't either of those, it was obviously older than me, but I don't think I would mind owning one of those. My new machine confuses me.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, I totally can't get the hang of the new "easy threading" system. I'm used to jumping through hoops to thread my machine, and it's hard for me to do it any other way! Which is why I have a machine from the 60's.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
kq, you could make your own shalwaar. It's easy enough and there are no rules, exactly, on what they have to look like, as you saw from that link that rivka provided. [Razz] So, get sewing, girl!

And what's this new easy threading system you speak of? I still have to jump through hoops to thread mine, but it's no biggie since I've been doing that sort of thing for decades.

breyer - yeah, being confused is a whole other issue. Good luck!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quid, we moved in months ago and my machine isn't even set up yet. My fabric and thread and such aren't unpacked. And I have a ton of projects to do before making clothes for myself hits the top of the list.

Add to this that I'm pregnant, tired, and run after an 18-month-old all day... Yeah, I'll just buy one if I find one I like.

The electronic machines they make now have some kind of funky new "easy threading" system. At least, most of them do. It's strange, but it took me one day to learn to thread an old-style Singer, and I used my mother-in-law's machine for a total of about 40 times and she had to re-thread it for me every single time. I just couldn't get it! [Wall Bash]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Well, yeah, I understand that now wouldn't be the ideal time for you to take up tonnes of new sewing projects, but sometime . . . When life is a little less hectic . . . You could do it then. [Big Grin]

But living in LA, if you have any decent size of an Indian community, there have to be shops that sell them.

So*, yesterday, I used the block method (it's a locally written book on pattern making, so for all I know, it's a local method. Although, it seems easy enough and logical enough that I doubt that it is) to create a pattern for myself. Well, just the basic thingie. Today, I use it to cut out material from broadcloth and make myself a sample which, if it turns out well, will actually become another shalwaar.

I'm making it out of dark royal blue broadcloth, and assuming it turns out, I'll also experiment with some of kq's suggestions on ribbon embroidery and the like to dress it up a bit. And also because it's an experimental piece, and that's what ya do with experimental pieces. [Big Grin]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I could. But it's going to be more expensive to buy the fabric (unless I go all the way down to the Garment District) than to just buy them made.

The problem is finding them in colors I want and sizes and cuts I'm comfortable with. Either they're too fancy, too garish, too bright for my skin/hair color, or sleeveless. *sigh* Maybe now that it's fall they'd have a different selection...

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hey, I hear you.

People here are brown. They have brown skin, brown eyes, and very dark brown hair. Colors that look good on them just don't look good on me.

That, in addition to the polyester and petite & small factors and, well . . .

It's a challenge.

Good luck.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah. I can do some of the turquoises, greens, and when I very rarely find it, a certain shade of red. Other than that, don't do so well with the colors they sell at the Indian shops.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Goody - thanks for the tips on the brands. I have no idea what's available here, but it looks like I'll find out soon. [Smile] Honestly, though, receiving smaller items through the mail is much easier than larger items - if a package is large enough that the local mail carrier can't deliver it himself, then it goes through the central post office and that's when it's opened. If a package is small enough for the local carrier to deliver, if it says something like "gift" on the outside, then it tends to go through with no problems.

Is a hot water soak necessary if we never wash anything with hot water here? Seriously, hot water tanks are almost always exclusively for use in the bathrooms only - when a house has them - and never for laundry. All laundry is either cold or lukewarm if it's later in the day. I don't do a hot water soak with any of the fabrics I prewash. Should I start doing that?

And Goody, does this mean we'll see you in a shalwaar soon? [Smile]

Good news on the smaller packages. If you want me to send you flosses, just let me know! Any idea how big of a package is too big for the regular carrier?

As for the soak, considering your hot water situation, probably not necessary. But if you think there's any chance of ever washing in warm enough water to cause any shrinkage, I'd still recommend it as a preventive action. I'd hate to spend that much time and effort on making and embroidering an outfit to have the embroidery go puckery on me.

And for seeing me in one? Probably not while I live in this town for fear of offending someone, at least not out and about. There are a couple ladies who I see at the train station and know they do take offense fairly easily. But for loungewear, visiting, etc, very possible.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Why would anyone be offended? *curious*
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

I don't know why, I just know that these two women get very snotty and obnoxious when they see another woman who in their opinion is trying to imitate "their" look. Anyone wearing pants under a long tunic, whether it's shalwaar or not. Anyone wearing a scarf on their head (other than obviously winter wear). Anyone wearing sandals in cold weather. It got to the point where I had to change my customary seat on the train to another car because they were so whiny and annoying about it.

I truly don't know if there's a cultural or religious requirement for these particular outfits that are somehow being violated (or perceived to be violated) when "white" women adopt similar styles. And I'd rather not be the subject of their attitude, thankyouverymuch LOL

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well.

That's their problem, isn't it? Especially as Indian stuff is very in right now.

There's no religious prohibition that's being violated. If you talk to Muslim women who wear specific clothing, they will tell you that they would love it if American women dressed like them, as long as they did it respectfully.

(Not that I'm saying you should wear it around them if you know they're going to give you crap. I tend to like to avoid crap myself.)

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Good to know, KQ. And yeah, I wouldn't do it for something like a Halloween costume. But I do definitely like long tunic type tops (helps to disguise the "permapreg" bulge) and prefer pants over skirts. And why not get a bit glittery and fun while I'm at it? [Smile]

I think a browsing/shopping trip to Sahil is in my future...

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I think I wore a Punjabi suit as a haloween costume in maybe 4th grade, my mom's supervisor's husband was from India, so she bought the three daughters of office staff each a punjabi suit in different colors, and we trick or treated through dorms together one night while the staff was workin on a computer lab (knowing me, it may not have been halloween)

I still can't find the link in this thread everyone's talking about [Frown]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Which link, breyerchic?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Shaalwar's, at least I got the impression there had been a link.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh.

The fancy ones

I linked to a simpler one in another thread, I think. But I don't remember which thread.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

the blue one looks a lot like my punjabi suit did, but mine was purple.

This sort of style is pretty common in my group of friends since Raia's aunt had an indian clothing bazaar here a few years ago.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I would totally wear the blue one at the top of page 2.
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the blue one on the top of page 3. If it had sleeves I'd seriously consider getting it, even though I'd never have a place to wear it. *sigh*

[ October 26, 2005, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about the very first one, actually, the orange one. . . it's simple enough that I would wear it to work in the summer, or out for brunch. [Smile] I also like the blue one on page two, and the red one that's the last one on that page, with the white embroidery. I have some very similar outfits. And the orange and red ones are quite reasonably priced, as long as shipping isn't too bad.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Unfortunately, it looks like they're wholesalers to me. [Frown]
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, that sucks.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Well, sure, but . . . I could always try to get similar ones to what y'all like here and ship 'em. [Big Grin]

I like the blue one on the top of page 1 and the red one on page 4. [Smile] But still, they're really really ornate for my tastes. On the other hand, they're probably close to what everyone else will be wearing at the wedding.

Hmm. I wonder if they'll let me/mind me taking pictures?

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
But living in LA, if you have any decent size of an Indian community, there have to be shops that sell them.

Downtown L.A., Garment District. They have similar garments with skirts as well; I almost bought one a couple years ago when I was there looking for something to wear to my brother's wedding.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That's where I've shopped before and not found anything I liked. Like I said, maybe it was a seasonal thing. [Smile]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I own three Salwaar Kameezes. I live in New Jersey, where we have a very large Indian population. I admired the style, and so I went to the shop and picked out some fabric and the shopgirls stitched it up for me. Two were custom made, and are lightweight for summer wear. The other I got off the rack, and it is this gorgeous Kashmir wool, warm, and not at all itchy.

Does anyone have any tips for keeping the Dupatta from sliding off the shoulder? They always want to creep off to one side when I'm wearing my summer weight ones.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Velcro? LOL
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've heard a couple of straight pins works wonders.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

People here use safety pins. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Of course, they're harder to hide. But they do work better. And longer.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

The shawl, as they're called here, are folded in half, and the fold is closest to the neck. So in that case, pin down just the first layer close to the neck and the top layer covers it up. Voila!

Speaking of which, I now have to make sure I have all three shalwars finished by Thursday. Fahim and I are going to Kurunegala to spend Festival with his family - they have another house there, and Fahim's mom is from there. We'll be there Thursday to Saturday.

And his mom gave me a sari last night. [Eek!] So*, now I have to learn how to wear the thing. Well, I also have to sew the underskirt for it, and Fahim's mom called the dressmaker last night and had her come over to measure me since she's making the top - Fahim's mom doesn't trust me to be able to make it properly myself. Sigh.

And there are questions of whether I'll be willing to wear a sari to the wedding. [Eek!] [Eek!]

Anyway, it's all getting a little . . . *screams silently*

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've worn a sari. It's quite a treat to get into. Good luck.

Maybe your mother-in-law will help you.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I've worn the salwar kameez, but you would never catch me in a sari. Sorry.

I have used pins, and sometimes a pretty brooch to tack the dupatta into place. My favorite way to wear the dupatta is over my head, and around my neck, but that look is a little to outre for even me to wear out in public.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

kq, she's more than willing to help me if it means getting me into the thing. Trust me, she'd help. [Big Grin]

Tante, I completely understand. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it either, but since I'm in the land of saris and shalwaars, I may as well give them a try. And if I still don't like it after that, then no big deal, or so they say *now*. [Razz]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Assimilate, assimilate, assimilate

<says I in a weirdly hypnotic voice>

Did that help at all?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No, Tante, you have to have sitars and drums in the background. Didn't you ever see Help!? "Go to the window. Go to the window..." [Big Grin]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Nah, it is too late for sitars and drums. Wake the whole family, don't you know.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

The Buddhist monks here don't care.

We had a Perahera a couple of nights ago. We get them every Poya day (full moon), and sometimes in the wee hours of the morning when the Poya day starts as well as the following wee hours of the morning. So, two nights in a row, and no sleep.

See, a Perahera is a parade, complete with the loud chanting (sounds like they've got microphones and speakers, it's that loud), drums, and other musical instruments as they wander around the neighborhood. We can hear it for HOURS.

I feel like doing a violence to them monks. [Mad]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

And I'm having serious problems with my sleeves. [Mad] Serious. It's not going well.

I'm tempted to do with a magyar sleeve on the next one just so I can get something done. [Mad] [Mad]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Fahim donated his old sarong to the cause (it was holy, and really, it was donated closer to a year ago into the scrap heap, but since it was a big enough piece of fabric, it served this purpose very well) and cut out a front and back with magyar sleeves and sewed it up, and it'll work fine enough that that's what I'm going with.

And I figured out why I had problems with the sleeves. [Mad] But I don't know how to fix them yet. [Mad] But at least I didn't screw up a good piece of fabric for them, so not all is lost.

So*, now I'm off to cut out the magyar sleeve pattern and sew things up. With these sleeves, it ought to take, oh, maybe half an hour to sew everything. [Big Grin] That's one of the major benefits of this style. [Big Grin] And I even found a link on the internet that showed that there is a legitimate shalwaar style in India that has magyar sleeves, and I even found it before Fahim told me that, now that he sees what I'm talking about, he's seen it, too. [Big Grin]

Happiness is starting to happen. [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.