FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dear Voters, Thanks a lot (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Dear Voters, Thanks a lot
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't mind moving to Canada.
They have lovely winters there and I adore winter.
One day when I have money...
I really honestly don't think I have a place in the US anymore.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to say that whenever I look at this thread's title, it brings tears to my eyes. Because I hear it being said in a spiteful tone of voice in the way the first post was... (sigh) And this was the first time I really got a chance to vote...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody move to Canada. Move overseas instead.
And don't ship your stuff. Donate it to Yozhik instead.

::needs unbroken kitchen chairs::

[ November 03, 2004, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Yozhik ]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Because I hear it being said in a spiteful tone of voice in the way the first post was
I'm 'hearing' a lot of the thread titles on the board today in that tone and it makes me sad. Folks, it's not the end of the world.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Folks, it's not the end of the world.
If you keep saying that, you'll eventually be wrong. [Smile]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I know. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that every time an uncompromising Republican gets elected, the Democrats start talking about leaving the country?

Okay, OSC has done the Lincoln thing to death, and it's not a fair comparison--especially not where Sara is concerned. But it disturbs me that so many liberals are talking about fleeing the US (not just here, but on some other forums and blogs I read). Are they giving up on the idea of loyal opposition just because some of the Bushies are? Or is it really that frightening that the government can see what you checked out of the library now? (What are you people reading anyway? [Wink] )

Argh...this is coming out snarky and I don't mean it that way. I too am anxious about what will happen now that Dubya has been reelected. But skipping the country seems like an overreaction to me (Sara excepted, since she has additional reasons). Roughly half the population voted for Kerry, after all.

[Edited for spelling]

[ November 04, 2004, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Mabus ]

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why is it that every time an uncompromising Republican gets elected, the Democrats start talking about leaving the country?
'Every time'? When was the last time? And it seems to me that Bush has made some serious compromises as both a conservative and a Republican.

Now, some of them I think were necessary. Whenever I hear people get angry about how big government has gotten and point out Homeland Security, I roll my eyes.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't let the door hit you in the Ass!

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
mabus, I definitely definitely appreciate the concession to me. It probably means a lot more to me than you could imagine, so thank you. Very much.

I think our context on this as Americans is pretty skewed, though. We never (as far as my experience goes) question why other people come to America -- it is taken for granted that it is natural to leave one's country and come here. Presumably, people do this because they hope for a better life with more opportunities of some sort. Most of them aren't being persecuted or unable to eat, at least not in these days.

It's just a better life here.

Why is it different when someone leaves here for exactly the same reasons?

(But again, Mabus [Kiss] . Thank you for being nice to me. You didn't have to be. [Smile] )

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, BC. [Wink] I'll watch for it.

Would hate to do any more damage to my tail than I already have.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually aimed at Dragon who started the thread, did you say you were leaving as well?

Sorry to hear it, but again, careful of that door.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

My husband is a Canadian citizen, and though we tried to work out a cross-continent marriage as I finished residency, I ended up needing open-heart surgery my intern year. (Replacement of a priorly-replaced defective aortic valve.) During the recovery, and especially since I was back at work in less than a month, he just worried about me too much to put up with being apart, so he moved down. Reluctantly. [Smile]

He gave my country 4 years of his life. [Dont Know] He's earned some time where he wants to be, now.

There are also work reasons for me to move. Canada has a better epidemiological database collected in the sorts of areas I do research.

But yeah, my butt's pretty bruised as it is. [Wink] I've been working my tail off the last few years.

[ November 04, 2004, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do I feel like I just bought a used car?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara, I'm echoing Imogen here as another Aussie who'd be more than happy to visit you - if I ever make it to Canada... something I've been wanting to do for ages!
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

As far as I know, Rakeesh, the last time it happened in any numbers was the Civil War--which was why I said the comparison wasn't fair, since the political lines have definitely realigned since then. But as long as I have been on the internet I have been encountering people who say, "If so-and-so [always a Republican] wins the election I'm getting out of here. I can't stand it anymore." And it puzzles me, because it does not happen to me in person--I live in an area where even the hard-line Democrats are not terribly frightened about Republicans unless either they or a current Republican activity is extreme. Nor can I think of any likely Democratic policy that would make me feel the same way.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Were I not married to a Canadian already, I don't think leaving would have even occurred to me. However, things are not that way for me, and I'm both surprised and delighted to feel some excitement about making this change. I definitely hadn't expected that, and there is no way I would have understood it before.

Rakeesh, FWIW, most of my life I drove used cars. True, my last one (a 1980 Geo Tracker) eventually lost all gears but reverse, but I was able to work around things up til that point. *grin

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Troubs, hey! [Wave] [Cool]

I am serious about the invite. We will work it out. It will be late Summer/ early Fall 2005 before we make the move, though.

Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are they giving up on the idea of loyal opposition just because some of the Bushies are? Or is it really that frightening that the government can see what you checked out of the library now?
I think the most frightening thing is that they are killing innocents and conquering nations in our names (and making us pay tons for it!) It's one thing to mess with me, but it's something worse to commit evil in my name, send me the bill, and in doing so provoke terrorist attacks against me.

Nevertheless, I don't see how moving would help. That just lets the Bush administration stay in power and keep doing what they are doing.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

quote:
Nevertheless, I don't see how moving would help.
My point, Xap...certainly I understand why you object, but you are not in any danger personally (that I know of) and your leaving would not fix anything. So why are people doing it?
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I'll ask again. Tell me if I'm being too pushy.

quote:
We never (as far as my experience goes) question why other people come to America -- it is taken for granted that it is natural to leave one's country and come here. Presumably, people do this because they hope for a better life with more opportunities of some sort. Most of them aren't being persecuted or unable to eat, at least not in these days.

It's just [that they judge it to be] a better life here.

Why is it different when someone leaves here for exactly the same reasons?

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't blame them.
I feel like I don't really completely fit in with American society for several reasons.
But, I would not be able to move for years considering how low my social position is right now.
So, I'll stay and raise hell instead.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

Sara, I don't think you're being pushy, and I have no problem with anyone leaving for a better life. I'm just curious as to how people think their lives will be better, is all, and Xap in particular.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Mabus, I can understand why many people might feel like their lives would be better lived in another country, especially one with a better overall quality of life than America. If your values are dramatically different from the majority of your countrymen, it can be exhausting to try to work around that on a regular basis; in many cases, it may just be easier to move somewhere you are already appreciated as a peer instead of someone without moral fiber.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.