FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Baaaaaleted! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Baaaaaleted!
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - people emailing threats?

Sheesh.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent. Mission accomplished.

I want to see a pic of you, AJ! To see if you look like Mack.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.foobonic.com/gallery/albuo15

there's a bunch of pictures of me here and a few (including one of my family on the "links" page) here http://corgipages.com (my stuff is on the Lowryder side of that page.
You can find mack on madowl.com

AJ

[ July 22, 2004, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
HEY! I didn't know you had an album! *looks*

(oh, signing)

[ July 22, 2004, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dag, you're a bad, bad boy. But then, as you are studying law, we all know that you must be demonic, so no news there.
Actually, you guys have never seen me at close to my worst. [Smile]

It doen't happen with writing so much as speaking, but if I get pissed off and don't rein myself in, I can be pretty mean and insulting. The last time I did it was in the big dispute with my former business partner. I suckered him in and then just absolutely destroyed him verbally.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually use two types of product depending on how I'm going to wear it. Both ways of styling require about two minutes and no blowdrying. Washing my hair takes about three minutes.

messy style one My sister prefers this style but does agree with me that if I don't wear Obviously Girl Clothing That Emphasizes I Have Girly Curves (and this is WITH lip gloss and mascara, folks, that this happens), I will sometimes be mistaken for a young boy. [Roll Eyes] However, the stuff I use for this one is some gel-water-like stuff. It's cool...it turns watery in your hands and you put it in your hair, ruffle it, and there you go. It isn't stiff, either.

This other style requires a bit more attention, as you have to get the back all spiky and finger over the front bit. It also uses hair glue stuff. The final result is more girly but requires an additional minute of styling. And your hair is rather...set.

Either way, it's an easy style.

... and you can wear any hat you want.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, I hadn't seen those Cinci pics before!

Gol' durn it! How come y'all had to schedule KamaCon so close to my wedding?!? I want to meet everyone! [Razz]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

hmm, considering what I already wear to work, I could have the "boy" problem too.

I've already been treated like an intern several times recently with people that should realize I've been at the company a bit longer than just a summer.

I think I'll wait to take a look at it in person before I do it. Also, though are faces are similar they might be different enough I can't get away with it as well.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Hmmm...

Hmmm...

It's a good look.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I almost quit...things got really difficult... I kept saying " I haven'y done anything" and people would send me stuff that otaku had said....but since I wasn't him, it just pissed me off more and more.

A lot of the threats/arguments came in parachat....remember when we use to actually use parachat? That was over 3 years ago.

AJ: Yeah, it was tough. I am around a lot more now that I have a good computer, huh? And people have seen me IRL, too.

Really only the first month was bad, and I had a lot of people stick up for me too. If it wasn't for peole like Belle and Jenny Gardener, Ela and Balck Fox, and BookWyrm, kwisni....well, lets just say that I had a liot of supportes too, and I am glad I stayed....

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. We'll see. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea: threats? Really? From whom?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Kwea - ya know, my thought is: if you're going to threaten me, don't do it over email. I'm as big a fan of posturing as the next guy, but c'mon. That's just juvenile.

Mac - sorry, but I had a similar first impression.

Which led to a huge amount of confusion on my part until I saw the second pic. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Edit: Whoop! Kwea has never, ever sent me an email - threatening or otherwise. I just re-read my post and realized how it could be interpreted.

[ July 22, 2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I go to lunch, and look at what I miss! I'm not gonna take lunch anymore...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I would rather not say, to tell you the truth...I only remember two people threatening...but I got about 4 e-mails from each of them, so it bothered me. Particularly since I didn't do anything wrong, and didn't know them.

Not all the threats were of voilence...one one person did that, and I didn't take it seriously.
One person said they would just follow me from post to post shouting "TROLL ALERT" everywhere I posted....another got really insulting, very personal.

Not a good way to welcome a new person....

In parachat it was always a bad thing....people ganged up on me pretty bad....so i only came here really late at night.

I never acted the way Stargate has here....and I wouldn't do the same thing to him that happened to me unless he deserved it, IMO.

If he wants to be free of the troll label, let him do the same thing I did...ignore it, and prove otherwise by his behavior in posts. If he did that, I would back him up like people did for me....but if this stuff happens again, I will just ignore him as a troll from that point on....

TMedina: Any time you wannna go, man....lol....

I got what you mean, really...I feel the same way...what were they gonna do, beat up my ISP?

[ July 22, 2004, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this "Death by Fluff." That's how I wanna go when it's my time to head to the great forum in the sky. I'm picturing sinking slowly into a great big marshmallow.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Kat: You poophead...lol...stop lying!
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, lest anyone think I am being too petty and cruel, let me explain my post about "murderers, rapists and trolls".

To me a murderer or a rapist is someone who would murder or rape. Someone who has truly repented of those things is an ex-murderer or ex-rapist, IMO. Now, a confessing ex-murderer or ex-rapist still has to go to jail. An ex-troll doesn't have to go to jail. There may be some hesitancy to trust for awhile, but stop acting like a troll and people will stop calling you a troll.

But how do you stop acting like a troll if you honestly don't know what it is you are doing that set people off?

First of all, while Hatrack is a place to express opinions, no one here will respect an opinion that is fueled by prejudice, hate, or ignorance. Even if that opinion is close to their own. In fact, quite often, it is when it *is* close to your own that you come out most strongly against it.

Also, Hatrack is an excellent place for people to learn to understand people who think differently from them. It has really been this for me. I have loved that! If you aren't willing to try and see how another person looks at something, you don't belong here.

If you can't back up your opinion with good reasons, people won't respect it. And even if you do have good reasons, that doesn't mean people are going to automatically agree with you, because they have their reasons too. We are not here to try and convert people to our way of thinking--though that might happen sometimes. We are here to try and see eye to eye a little better.

Trolls are people who have no respect for these things and try to disrupt these efforts, making trouble. When someone says "Don't feed the trolls" all it means is "That post was inflammatory. It probably makes you upset. Ignore it, and it will go away."

I sincerely hope that helps, at least a little.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I wuvs you, Bev. [Kiss]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Aw, thanks! [Blushing]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Hey! No tongue! [Evil]
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
You truly are the devil man. [Wink]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Ah Kwea. Not even in jest. [Razz]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with beverly's post.

However. It is not helpful for anyone to say in essence, "this person is a troll." Especially as a first response to an outrageous statement. That is taking the easy way out. It's saying, "This person cannot possibly have anything worth saying, so I'm not even going to try to refute their arguments."

The way I see it, there are two possibilities: (1) the person is just ignorant and is putting forward their position as they see it, or (2) the person is actually a troll and is just trying to get a reaction. Actually, why don't we add a third possibility, as it seems most likely in this case: (3) all of the above.

In light of these possibilities, repeatedly calling the offender a troll or insulting them is utterly useless. It's not like you have to warn the others that there's a troll about -- we're smart people, we can figure that out. If you are going to respond at all (and I'm not saying you shouldn't), why not present your position? Use as much nuance as you see fit. Keep in mind that ignorance is something that is possible to lose, and some people (even the ignorant ones) want to lose theirs.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Hi Mike! Member #55, huh?

Stop trolling, wouldya!!! [Wall Bash]

beverly
Member # 6246

But this is a special case because most of us believe in our heart of hearts that Stargate is OSC-fan and Verbatim. With that assumption, she already has a bad track record. Lies, pettiness, deleting whole threads (frequently). Otherwise, I totally agree with you.
Mike
Member # 55

Yeah. But as far as that goes, if you assume they're the same person you run the risk of what happened to Kwea repeating itself. That alone should be enough reason to give Stargate the benefit of the doubt.

And, Kwea, I'm not a troll. I'm not. Why won't you believe me? Aaaaaah! [Eek!]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I call Stargate as a troll based on posts posted by Stargate.

I'd feel sheepish about that if it weren't true.

I have been converted to the Death by Fluff method, though. Next time, instead of calling troll, I'm going to suggest that Jake Lloyd play Ender.

beverly
Member # 6246

Mike, I was pretty sure Stargate was OSC-fan and Verbatim *long* before today. I don't think I am the only one either.

Dude, I try really hard to give people the benefit of the doubt. But Stargate has done all of the very same things that OSC-fan/Verbatim did. Outragiously obvious lies, etc, etc.

I am willing to forgive and forget. But I won't not think of her as a troll until she stops acting like one.

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course Jake LLoyd will play Ender. Sheesh.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Anyone notice how short this thread suddenly became?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Yup... not surprising really... If anyone wishes documentation I have it.

AJ

beverly
Member # 6246

She's just trying to prove us right.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I decided that it likes to delete it's posts so that it will look like we're all talking to ourselves.

[ July 22, 2004, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Mike
Member # 55

Fair enough. I haven't seen enough of the "discussions" in real-time to come to any definite conclusions.

quote:
I decided that it likes to delete it's posts so that it will look like we're all talking to ourselves.
I don't think it's fooling anyone. (Oh, and it's "its".)
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

No, I've decided that it's name is it, with no capital letter. So it's it's.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

it has a tendency to post on tuesdays and thursdays too. Occasionally will post on wednesdays if it has caused a hubbub.

AJ

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually' it's still its, not it's.
it's == it is

And for what it's worth, that's a stoopid rule.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Now, wait a minute. If a person's name is It, then with a possessive it would be It's. I just choose not to give the person the satisfaction of capitalization. That's the only grammatical mistake, and it was purposeful.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

PSI the personal posessive of "it" is "its" without an apostrophe. This because "it's" is a contraction meaning "it is"

Where's Jon Boy?

AJ

katharina
Member # 827

It's true. It sucks. The possesive of "it" is "its" - no apostrophe.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

GAAAAAAAAHHHH!

I'm well aware that "it" possessive is its.

But if you name your child IT and IT is on its birth certificate, then it is a name and not a pronoun. It would be made possessive the same way that any other name would, and that's with an apostrophe.

*pants*

edit: [Embarrassed] You didn't see that.

[ July 22, 2004, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

but you are implying it is an "it" without even a name. so I thought logically you would treat it lesser than someone whose name was "it"

AJ

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Now, if you are suggesting that I should make it even less important by referring to it as a pronoun rather than a person with a name, I might be happy with that.

*considers calling it by the pronoun it from now on*

(By the way, I really did make a mistake in the first post. I just wanted to be super cool. I stand by what I said about the rule though. [Big Grin] )

Mike
Member # 55

OK, it's name is "it". I'm down with that.
katharina
Member # 827

Claudia Therese, I don't know. Sort of a Death by Chocolate response?

I remember watching Sleeping Beauty with My Little Neighbor boy once, and he informed the reason Malificent acted the way she did was because she needed more hugs. Something like that?

Kwea
Member # 2199

Just refuse to reply again. Pretend that there is an ignore button, like we were in chat.

That is my plan, anyway.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

After taking it personally a while back, I have been mostly trying to diffuse by absurdity which can then deteriorate to "death by fluff".

I love the color teal though!

AJ

(I have however been taking the precaution of documneting and saving everything as much as possible, simply because the mods can't dig up deleted threads. This is because I got burned once)

AJ

[ July 22, 2004, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

katharina
Member # 827

You mean turning a thread like that into a discussion of something productive?
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I could really get into finding pretty teal-colored dog toys online for AJ's crew, or maybe teal Boy Scout memorabilia for you, or pretty scarves to match Christy's eyes, or ... well, I could just go on and on and on.
So...

this would be your version of "show and teal," eh?

[Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.