FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 'Rackademy Awards...That's it folks. Now for the after party (Page 4)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: 'Rackademy Awards...That's it folks. Now for the after party
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not being negative, imogen. I just think that the pool was not particularly representative of Hatrack. *grin* But I'm not COMPLAINING about it, because I think the people who were inclined to participate in this project are perfectly entitled to experience the forums differently -- and, for that matter, those of us who chose not to participate did so for valid reasons, as well.

So I just wanted to point out (for other people's benefit, not Richard's, as I assumed he knew already) that there's no actual intrinsic merit in "contests" of this sort, so anyone who wasn't nominated should DEFINITELY not feel offended. [Smile] Taking this thing seriously would be a genuine shame.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe there's another place to do it? There was a lot of work put into this, and no way your comparison was anything but unflattering.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point. Although I'm not sure that creating a separate thread purely for the purpose of pointing out that no one should take Hatrack awards seriously in general would really make much more sense. [Smile] So I'll let it drop here.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I'm taking seriously is the clothes. [Wink]
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm.... I think I've taken "splitting the vote" to a whole new level.

Oh well...

<Goes off to start anti-Tresopax smear campaign>

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, there are some other couples not nominated...
Hence my trendy qualifier "like," Ela. It works just like "almost."

And it just makes my Generation Y status just *that* much more noticeable.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tom. And Kat. [Smile]

I agree - no-one should take this seriously or get offended.

I guess my point was the 'pool' of people reflects those people who were nominated. Nothing else. So everyone who did or didn't participate contributed to that representation.

And Tres - I hear that Xaposert is a dead certainty. You don't have a chance. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys -

Okay, firstly - Dagonee was right. I've just been checking back (again!) over the lists, and you were definately up for most controversial topic arguer. AAARGH! And while I'm happy to accept responsibility for this, I'd like to share a portion of the blame, if I may, with the Australian Commissioner for Taxation, who along with his department, has taken up an inordinately large amount of my mental processing space over the last couple of days. Please feel free to write to the ATO and make your displeasure known. (If you could avoid mentioning me by name, though, that would be great [Wink] )

And I do hope that most people get that this is all in fun. As I said on page one, it's more a celebration of fluff (everyone's fluff) than anything else. So probably the 'fluffier' members of Hatrack are more likely to rate a mention. (and pleeeeese nobody take offence at that, either. In my book, fluffy is good...) Tom's right - it's not necessarily representative of all of Hatrack. It is fun, though...

quote:
I'm disappointed Trogdor didn't nominate my obvious candidate for the dobie award.

Richard. A great Dobie. I agree, it should have been nominated.

quote:
We'll just have to have a pre-hatrackademy "Golden Racks" where Dag, Bok and I (The Interacktional press corps) give awards as we see fit and also to TV shows and Madonna.

While I'd support the whole 'Golden Racks' idea, I think it might be more interesting if you guys staged a protest outside the venue on the night - lots of sign waving and yelling. And try to throw fake blood on a celebrity...

Finally, Dagonee - not sure if you want me to put you on the nominees list - I'm more than happy to - but in the interest of improving the overall quality of the evening, can I offer you the position of host? It's still up for grabs. I'd even let you write your own jokes [Wink] And pick your own presenters. And it gets you free style consultations with Mrs. M.

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, no, do not change the nominations now. You're not going to take away my ability to complain good naturedly that easily. [Smile]

I'm not up for hosting solo, but I'd love to be co-host, preferably with someone funnier than me (I know, make it hard to find someone...). But covering the protestors sounds like more fun.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute...that was MY nomination. Screw anything he says, it should GO ON THE BALLOT!!!!!

*leaps with rage*

[Wink] Just cause I think you have a good chance Dag.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
The glam is a sham!
The glam is a sham!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I would have thought I would have made it for being controversial. I do have some radical opinions sometimes. [Wink]

Like Tom said, no reason to take it personal though. [Smile]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly Tony should be nominated for the controversy award.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Scythrop,

Sorry if I missed this, but who is gonna MC this thing? Who's presenting?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
[Blushing] [Eek!] [Blushing]

Well. Yay for being nominated twice! *giggle* Although, the competition I'm up against? I don't stand a chance. Hmm... maybe if I get rid of them all... ::shifty eyes:: [Razz]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

See - another benefit to being left off the ballot: Narnia outraged on my behalf.

Better than any shiny statuette.

As for protests, how about we protest turtlenecks? Do you know how many turtles have to die to make one turtleneck sweater?

Dagonee

[ May 12, 2004, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends on the size of the turtles used.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I never even saw/read this thread. Until after Dan_Raven posted his follow-up...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I myself am on the Save The Buffalo Wings mailing list. They would make a great protest group.

Do you realize there is not a mature Buffalo left in this hemisphere with wings? They are all harvested for those deliscious appetizers.

Excuse me, have an urge to run to Hooters.

[ May 12, 2004, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

Hmmmmm....Buffalo Wings.

One of the few problems with living in Australia, there's just no decent buffalo wings.

I'm going to stop now, before I derail my own thread too badly [Big Grin]

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I meant to say that I nominated dangermom and her dangerkids for best family, and they're not up there. [Frown]

Edit: However, the mom I really wanted to nominate was Boon... ACK! My inability to remember ppls. Sorry Boon! Boon and LegoMan and BarbieBiker...

[ May 13, 2004, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
*hereby votes for tonguetied&twisted for both "Best Screen Name" and "Hatrack Hottie"*
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

[Big Grin] [Blushing] [Big Grin] [Blushing]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
And if there's a category for this, I'd like to nominate Kylie as my personal favorite for testing out the veracity of her screenname. If her tongue can do half the things her name brags it can, I must meet her.

I suppose I could nominate Becky for this category, too, but imagining the context in which I'd get her to cry "ni!" would just get her boyfriend all upset with me.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
*votes for tonguetied&twisted for Hatrack Hottie*
[Big Grin]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
My vote goes to tonguetied&twisted for Hatrack Hottie...Hmm...and for Best Screen Name, too.

[ May 13, 2004, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: Mabus ]

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to say there should be an honorary award for "lamest string of dobies.... ever" given to all who participated in that fiasco.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dillon
Member # 6536

- posted      Profile for Dillon   Email Dillon         Edit/Delete Post 
Award Tonguetied&twisted for THE HOTTIE! and of course best Screename:) She deserves it because I said so.
Posts: 10 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
::votes for ttt in whatever categories she's in::

edit: categories are Best SN and Hottie.

[ May 13, 2004, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Rappin' Ronnie Reagan ]

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

I'd like to nominate Rivka, Ladydove, Shan, ak, Tom D. or T_Smith as MC.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The awards show is the 15th, neh? Which is Saturday. I won't be on until close to 9 PM Pacific.

I suggest not waiting for me. [Wink] [Addit: so I wouldn't make a good MC]

[ May 13, 2004, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't wait for me either. I may not be there at all. I will be if I can, though. There's no knowing ahead of time.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

I also like to express my appreciation both to my fans for nominating me and to Scythrop for allowing a known hijacker to participate in the festivities.

Also, I'd like to extend some thanks to Sarcasticmuppet for her offer to do the grunt work with me.

cheers

fallow

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*also votes for tt&t as Hatrack Hottie* [Kiss]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

[Blushing] [Blushing] [Blushing]

Raia! You know I blame you for all of this! [Razz]

(*giggle* And you know I voted for you, too, so NYA!) [Kiss]

fallow
Member # 6268

*approaches hatrack hotling*

*leans on nearest wall*

"say TT *cough* and er.. uh T?"

*glances downward*

"nice shoes!'

*kicks pebble*

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I've been trying to get the word out about voting for the Davis Family, but this attempt .

Maybe I need to use one of them there high end publicity agencies?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
While I'm honored to be nominated in the "Best Pun / Punster" category, that one'll go to Bob in a walk so I'll just show up for the paparazzi and because my agent thinks it's good for my career.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, if there had been a best column award, Chris would have won no questions asked...

... hmm, I have an in with the organisor. Maybe I can arrange an honorary award. [Wink]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm...

*ponders*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

This voter still hasn't received any gift baskets with Rolexes and fancy jewelery.

Dagonee

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This voter still hasn't received any gift baskets with Rolexes and fancy jewelery.

Psst, Dag...

To get those kind of perks, you need to find a way to break into Hollywood Foreign Press Association and be a judge in the Golden Globe awards!

Don't tell anyone, though. [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'm a trend leader.

Really I am. I wore a flannel shirt the first time I went to Seattle, and look what happened there...

Dagonee

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Dag, don't brag about that. I think the introduction of Flannel to seatle may be considered a "Crime against Humanity."
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It was an accident, when I was unaware of the extent of my powers.

I guess I'd better not mention the time I lost a bet and had to wear parachute pants for a day.

Dagonee

Scythrop
Member # 5731

Well folks, the votes are in, the red carpet's rolled out, and I've just realised I was supposed to get this thing up and running 24 hours ago, (I've decided to attribute the delay to 'security issues') so what do you say, shall we get this show on the road?

*Cue* Loud music....

Good evening and WELCOME to the first ever 'RACKADEMY AWARDS' - the night / morning / whatever time of day it is where you are. We're here at the world famous Taiwanese Theatre in downtown Bollywood, and already clebrities and other random people we don't care about are arriving out front, so let's cross to the red carpet and our team of expert commentators and interviewers;

Style guru FALLOW, best known for his work with Steve Guttenberg in the straight to video movie; Police Academy 57: Geriatrics on Patrol.

Joining him is the woman whoose performance on Hatrack Idol moved the judges to tears, and of whom Kermit the Frog once said "no, never heard of her." It's over to you, Sarcasticmuppet...

Guys, what's the atmosphere like down there at the moment?

fallow
Member # 6268

*presses microphone to diving helmet and speaks - inaudibly*

*gestures to sarcasticmuppet*

fallow
Member # 6268

*ditches helmet, directs cameraman*

Well, as you might imagine, the atmosphere down here is thick with anticipation. *points OS*

back to you Scythrop.

digging_holes
Member # 6237

*wonders why the commercial breaks are so lengthy and numerous*

*starts zapping* [Big Grin]

fallow
Member # 6268

*removes remaining diving gear*

*lights up a ciggie and surveys the empty carpet*

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.