FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » WMASS Picnic: We had a blast, despite the rain! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: WMASS Picnic: We had a blast, despite the rain!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea:

http://www.rhythmandroots.com/rr_about.cfm

It is in Ninigret State park. There is a pond for swimming, too, if it is hot.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never been to that park. Sounds pretty cool though. Are you and your family going?
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

We say we are going for just one day, but I am sure we will go all three. Saturday is the best line-up for me.

It is a very well run festival, with good food, but it is expensive. They sell beer and wine there, also expensive, and you cannot bring it in.

It would be fun if you came!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

It depends on what our work schedual is...I know we both have Monday of, but I won't know about Saturday or Sunday for a while.

We were planning on being down in Westerly that weekend anyway, to see my parents and my dog.

Not neccessarily in that order... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth: Mike and I were in Ninigret Park a few hours ago for the Charlestown Seafood Festival. Mmmm... fried food.

It was fun. We ate lots of fried stuff and hung out. Wonderful weather.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, Suneun, come down that weekend!
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah!

are you and Mike still planning on being at the picnic? I haven't heard anything about Mike's plans as far as I remember....

I hope you both can make it.

Kwea

Suneun
Member # 3247

It's a little up in the air. We might have a show that day, but I don't know yet. *twiddles fingers*
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Hmmmmm

Not good.....

Well, I hope you both can make it.

It wouldn't be the same without you.

Don't get me wrong...we'll still have a blast.

Just to spite you! [Evil]

Kwea
Member # 2199

I did pay for us to be able to drink as well, so if anyone wants to bring beer of whatever, feel free to do so. There will be kids there too, so no passing out....tell them you were taking a nap....yeah, that's the ticket...

Kwea

Kwea
Member # 2199

Beuller?
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooo, the rhythm and roots festival is half an hour from me. I should look into that [Smile]

Hmmm... what kinds of things will we need? Soda, pasta salads, hamburgers?

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

All that would work. I wouldn't bring anything that needs heated, as I am not sure there is electricity at the sites. I pretty sure there isn't, as a matter of fact.

We also need people to bring coolers to keep the soda and meats cold until we drink/cook them.

Also, if anyone has dietary restrictions please let us know, or arrange to bring stuff for yourself. We have a guest who can't eat red meats so she is brining some chicken, but if there is anyone else who wants some they either have to let me know or tell me they are bringing some themselves.

We need:
  • More burgers
    buns
    soda
    snacks (chips, salsa, that type)
    music (please keep it fairly clean for the kiddies)
    CD player/radio
    coolers (the more the better)
    pasta salads
    potato salads
    Any special entrees you want to bring
Booze is BYOB...
JenniK will have some cake for my dad's birthday, and she is making cookies, probably peanut butter with kisses on top....mmy favorite!

Anything else?

Oh yeah....trash bags and plates; we will bring some, but probably not enough for everyone.

Please post here and let me know what (if anything) you are planning on bringing, and I will compile a list and post it a few days before the picnic.

Thanks!

Kwea

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kwea,
I am off to AZ for a week. When I get back I will look at the list and see what is still needed.
Liz

Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks Liz, we should get together and plan a bit too, if we can find the time this before the picnic.

You said you might not be there until a bit later, right? If that is true we might need to meet up to get the screen tent you said you had and to set it up at the site. I will be checking the weather regularly, but rain or shine we are going to be there, unless it would be dangerous.

I plan on going with a griend ro three at about 9:30-10 am EST to get started, and quite a few (10-25) people plan on being there at or around noontime, so I geuss we will be cooking both lunch and dinner.

I will bring a Frisbee, and wiffle ball, and if anyone has any kickball/dodgeballs for the kids perhaps they could bring them too.

Bring your bathing suits as well, if it is really hot the water park is right next to us, so it might be fun to take the kids there and cool off ourselves... [Big Grin] Super Soakers are mandatory... [Evil] Remember, an armed society is a polite society.... [Big Grin]

Kwea

[ August 12, 2004, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

I think I'll have to bring boring things, cause I'm closing the day before and have a store meeting that morning til ten so I can't make anything [Frown] . I'll bring some soda and chips, and if we need more cups and plates, I can sure bring that too!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Myr, without the boring things we can't eat!

I guess they aren't so boring after all, huh?

Anyone else?

If you don't have time to bring something don't worry about it.

My mom is baking brownies, and my sister is bringing some of the buns, and maybe some soda.

Anyone know a sun dance to ward off hurricanes? [Big Grin]

Kwea

sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there some rain plan? I know there's a tent which should help. I'm guessing rain or shine.

Oh and I'll bring something. But I dunno what.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Rain or shine, for sure. I have heard two different forecast, one said it would be muggy with a chance of showers, one said scattered showers. It is still far enough away that they might be wrong, though.

Once everyone gets there, if it becomes really rainy, I guess we could find another, indoor, place to gather. There are plenty of little restarunts to eat at, movie theatres, that sort of thing, in nearby towns.

I am hoping it diesn't come to that though.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Kwea

Kwea
Member # 2199

OK, Jenni and I bought the following stuff for the picnic....
  • 5 lbs of burgers
    3 packs of hot dogs
    marble cake
    snack mixes and cheese puffs...two large UTZ containers
    chocolate chip cookies...homemade!
    1 roll of paper towels
    5 lbs of chicken
    ketsup
    mustard
We also have some folding chairs, and a beach blanket or two....
My Mom is making Homamade brownies, my sister is bringing a cooler (I have one, and my parents have one as well) and buns, both hot dog and burger buns.

Myr said she will bring snacks and some paper plates or silverware. I will hit the dollar store and get some extras as well.

The site is payed for, and if you can't find it look for the info shack at the beginning of the park, by the tennis courts, and ask for the site of the "Hatrack/Brill" picnic reservation. We are behind the water park off a bit to the right of it, over the covered bridge.

Could I please have an updated list of who will be there? And, if you know, about what time you will arrive?

Thanks!

Kwea

dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
*hides*

I don't know yet!

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

::finds dabbler::

What do you mean you don't know yet?

IT'S IN 5 DAYS!

Let me know ASAP...and the answer better be YES, DAMMIT! [Mad] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

Seriously, I hope you can make it, but please let me know one way or another...

Kwea

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Hmm, if I actually get everything ready to get to the seven o clock store meeting on time, I will leave directly from work at tennish. It should take two hours from there, or so says mapquest. Count me in then!

[ August 17, 2004, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: MyrddinFyre ]

dabbler
Member # 6443

Well I haven't heard from Lubdub. Tonight we'll decide if we're street performing on Saturday...

Myr, if I can come, what are the chances you could pick me up?

[ August 17, 2004, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: dabbler ]

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

A hundred million percent yes. [Smile]

[ August 17, 2004, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: MyrddinFyre ]

dabbler
Member # 6443

Cool =)

I'll email you tonight if I can come. That would be so much fun to carpool!

Kwea
Member # 2199

That would rock!

Has anyone heard from Beca, or Martha, or Mike?

Suneun, you were going to perform with Mike, right? Any chance you could "remind" him of the picnic, and harrangue him like I did you? [Big Grin]

Kwea

dabbler
Member # 6443

Lets see..

Beca said she couldn't come (see a page before I think). I believe Martha's busy but I don't see her online much (silly me). Mike has a trapeze class in the morning of Saturday.

We're going to do a long practice and street perform on Sunday (if we can find a good spot).

So afaik, either Mike and I will drive up after his class on Saturday (leaving providence around lunchtime), or I will go with Kris and Mike won't go.

You can bother Mike if you'd like, I'll get a more certain answer from him later.

Kwea
Member # 2199

[Evil]
Kwea
Member # 2199

It seems like the forecast for Sat is scattered T-storms, which isn't a good thing.... [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

But we will make due. Our site is under pretty decent cover, and there is a pavillion near by. I'm not sure if it is rented, but if it isn't maybe we can rent it for less than they wanted two months ago. One way of another the show is on. I am bringing some games, and some cards, but if anyone has a specific one they want to bring please do so.

I have Trivial Persuit (TV Edition), Chess, Yatzee, Parcheese, Monopoly, Othello, and LOTR Risk...and I play a mean hand of Rummey 500.... [Big Grin]

Also, scattered means the rain won't be continuous.

If anyone has any questions please contact me @ KweaSr@MSN.com and I will answer the best I can.

As I said, rain or shine we are doing it.

If the forecast gets worse, I MIGHT be able to find an indoor venue at a local Masonic hall, but I am not sure. I know there is one in 'Hamp, but I don't know anyone there myself, and I am not sure if it is booked yet. I will look into it, and let everyone know for sure.

But as long as I haven't posted anything here, it's a go for Look Park.

PS. My mom had a good idea,...she mentioned that with this many people coming it woudn't be too hard to take up a collection and pay for the pavillion, even if we don't manage to wiggle a better price out of them. I couldn't affor to front the money....it was somewhere around $160....not up front, by myself, but if there are 30-40 people there it would be under $5 per person. I don't know if that is an option, but it might work.

What do you all think?

Kwea

[ August 18, 2004, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

I'm up for a Pavilion Collection [Smile]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bringing Nathan.

Anything else I should bring with me?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

::runs around in circles::
dabbler
Member # 6443

*giggles*

Kris, is it okay if I tell you by tomorrow night if I need a ride? It's pretty 50/50 if Mike's coming along, but if he comes I'd wait for him to finish his trapeze class...

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

That's fine [Smile]
Kwea
Member # 2199

We might be ok. The forecast keeps changing, but all the changes have been for the better.

Now they are saying that it will be "intermittant" showers, which is much better than scattered thunderstorms....

Anyone else coming?

Kwea

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't like the weather in New England, wait five minutes.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

Kwea, what kind of burgers/hot dogs do you have? Generic?

I usually bake things for events, but it looks like you guys have loads of goodies already. I'm not so keen on pasta/potato salads, so I'm still not sure what I can make/bring.

I could be on soda duty, for example. But that sounds so boring! =)

mackillian
Member # 586

I know! What should I bring? What other sorts of stuff do we need?
Kwea
Member # 2199

Suneun, whatever you want works for me! We still need soda, and any games you have that might be fun (in case of rain delays... [Big Grin] ).

We bought some Ballpark Franks, because they were on sale, and for burgers we went to COSTCO and bought the burgers there....I think we bught a big box of them.

If there are any salads or veggies you like, we are a bit lite on those too....

I am really glad that you are coming!

Mack: Your camera, of course, and you said you were bringing your fensing gear, right?

As far as food goes, we need...hell, look above.... [Big Grin]

Does anyone have dieatery issues i need to know about? Allergys, non-meat eaters (vegans and veggie people... [Big Grin] ), or anything like that?

Jenni just made PB cookies, and CC cookies.

They tasted great.

What? I had to "taste test" them, you know...nothing but the best for y'all... [Big Grin]

Kwea

[ August 19, 2004, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

mackillian
Member # 586

I can bring my gear, but I only have one mask [Frown]

Hmmm. *checks*

Kwea
Member # 2199

Dibs, because I won't get anywhere near you!

However, I doubt the same can be said for you....lol...

mackillian
Member # 586

For safety, for anyone to fence, they need to be wearing a mask.

I'll see what I can do. [Smile]

Kwea
Member # 2199

I know that, I was just joking.

I have never done any fencing, but I know why they require masks...one lunge at the wrong time and out pops an eye or three..

Kwea

mackillian
Member # 586

enucleation, theca just told me. [Smile]

I'll borrow an extra mask, glove, and jacket from my club. I also have my plastron, my own jacket, mask, and two foils. So we're cool. [Smile]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Very cool.

Suneun, if that stuff is too baring, you could always be my proxie with the bout vs Mack...

If she hits you, just kick her in the head... [Big Grin]

Kwea

mackillian
Member # 586

With me wearing a 1600N steel mask!?
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Owww! [Big Grin]
mackillian
Member # 586

I need directions!
Suneun
Member # 3247

Did you ever say what hours people will be there?

As of this afternoon, mike agreed to drive up with me, arriving in the mid-afternoon.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.