FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Will disagreements about homosexuality rip Hatrack apart? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Will disagreements about homosexuality rip Hatrack apart?
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]

In English, please?

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Translation: Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics.

Pod, you don't have to play. It's okay. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I have the complete quote, with accompanying picture, if you want it, kat. [Razz]
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. [Smile]

I don't typically think of what I do here as arguing. Once in a long while I get heated, but usually I think of it as discussing. (Not even debating.) And Kat, your reply sums up my feelings pretty well.

[Smile]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Frisco, that quote and picture aren't very flattering for those of us that have special people in our lives.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
In the interest of remaining reflexively stable, i'll afford myself this one statement:

Just reminding people that they don't have to argue, and there are other things to do.

(my code is doing data crunching and i'm bored, which is why i even saw the thread)

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

and yes, Kat, that is a good paraphrase [Smile] (i had forgotten about that image)
Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Frisco, that quote and picture aren't very flattering for those of us that have special people in our lives.
Storm, haven't seen the picture (and don't want to), but if it's like the quote, it's not particularly funny, either. [Roll Eyes]

(figured I'd let you know you're not the only one)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
(at risk of jumping on the bandwagon..)

I saw the quote/translation and thought it was actually pretty offensive.

But I had made a pact with myself to not post in any more serious threads... or at least, not to do so seriously, for a little while at least.

Guess that's broken.

Still - I do think it is out of line. To those people who are closely associated with people with disabilities, making fun of the special olympics isn't particularly clever.

(Edit: If I've got the wrong end of the stick, and it wasn't meant in that way, please let me know. But that's the way it sounds to me)

[ February 28, 2004, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

well, i don't know.

I think that "arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win, you're still a retard" is indeed offensive, but it manages to convey the proper feeling about the former component of the analogy even if the latter part of the analogy is an offensive, incorrect stereotype, whose sentiment i don't agree with.

i think the same sorts of things can be said for how people treat the elderly. People often treat them like dirt, and it's awful. But it seems to come out of a lack of empath or understanding. I'm undecided if making statements like the above quote constitutes such a lack of empath or understanding. My gut reaction is no. but that's because i have friends who've quoted the phrase before who i don't think are extrodinarily prejudiced against the disabled or elderly.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Pod, surely there is enough wit and intelligence at Hatrack to come up with an analogy that is appropriate at both ends.

I won't tire you out with a long harangue about what winning the Special Olympics really means; suffice it to say that I think more of Hatrack than to expect it to come up with an analogy that relies on such a cheap, shallow, trite stereotype to make a point.

I mean, please ... free speech yes, but tacky cheap shots & intellectual laziness, no.

It just doesn't ring true if you've even been involved with the issue.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
If Hatrack is torn apart by this debate. . .

Do you think I could grill it, and serve it on tortillas, with guacamole and habanero salsa, and grilled onions, bell pepppers, and tomatoes?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Scott, I'm still waiting for the gooey center to be revealed.

How about this analogy instead:

Arguing on the internet is like trying to wash a cat: even while one spot is finally getting cleared up, an outlier you weren't expecting claws you in the back.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Or,

Arguing on the internet is like making spun sugar baskets; sure, you may end up with a brittle structure that is somewhat attractive, but it's never worth burning half your hands off to get there.

[ February 28, 2004, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
(OR CT should respond to my emails [Frown] )
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

mack, I will go look at email right now.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be the optional sour-cream-and-cilantro topping within the tortillas, CT.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, I am extremely grateful for the gentle voice of CT.

Today, like all too many Saturdays, I'm at the office. Two things struck me while I was working on some other stuff. One was a picture I pass by several times a day:

The picture is of a young man - 18 years old - who has Down syndrome. He's holding and umbrella, wearing a Not Dead Yet tshirt, and holding a sign that says: Civil Rights Are For EVERYONE! It's from the 1999 protest at Princeton when Peter Singer first came to campus. Ted - the young man in question - knew exactly why he wanted to be there and what Singer's advocacy was on infanticide - it's not that complicated. Ted stood in the rain all day, with about 200 other people.

The other was something I came across by accident in a book I was using as a resource for one of the projects I'm working on. It's one of those quotes that a lot of authors like to put at the beginning of chapters:

The point I'm trying to make is that we would prefer to have people laugh with us than at us.
-- Burton Minow

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.