FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's wrong with eugenics? (now with bickering about post counts!) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What's wrong with eugenics? (now with bickering about post counts!)
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to be a cool kid. Especially on the internet.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think your assessment is accurate. Many, many people have successfully integrated into the Hatrack community. You apparently did not and are now bitter because of it.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:

Your words say, "no, no!", but your eyes say, "yes, yes!"
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

quote:
Originally posted by Rappin' Ronnie Reagan:
I don't think your assessment is accurate. Many, many people have successfully integrated into the Hatrack community. You apparently did not and are now bitter because of it.

Perhaps, but I think the reason I left had a lot more to do with the way certain people here were treating certain other people here. I remember posting here quite a bit before then, and even though not everybody agreed with what I said (I was a lot younger then), I still participated here. A lot of my favorite people on the forums left around the same time I did too.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Your words say, "no, no!", but your eyes say, "yes, yes!"
If you say so. Regardless, I meant my post to be less about my teenage angst, and more about Hatrack as a whole.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I really haven't noticed lately, nor do I remember thinking back when I first strolled onto Hatrack, that folks particularly cared about post counts. Certainly not to the extent that thought-provoking, new content was ever ignored or dismissed because the little Posts: x slot wasn't sufficiently high.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the time I started to feel more part of the Hatrack community is when I started to recognize most posters and their specific personalities. Also, when I felt like people could do the same for me.

I've invested almost a year of serious reading and posting, and I feel like I'm only now coming out of the newbie gate. But it's no different than when you move into a new community - you're the new guy for a while.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
it seems like a lot of people here don't take others seriously until they reach the 1000 post mark.

And yet Armoth (to give an example) gets treated quite seriously.

He's a thoughtful poster, he doesn't start threads over and over about the same thing, and he attempts to clarify when someone misunderstands him.

He also refrains from attacking those who disagree with him.

Gosh, I don't suppose any of that could be significant? nah!

Thanks Rivka!!! ::beams::
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
I think the time I started to feel more part of the Hatrack community is when I started to recognize most posters and their specific personalities. Also, when I felt like people could do the same for me.
Now, that definitely I've noticed, then and now. Its connection to post count, though, is sort of an incidental necessity, and sometimes is overcome very quickly. Sometimes very slowly, and sometimes never.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Clive Candy:
Really? I've ALWAYS made controversial threads? [Roll Eyes]

No, but you've pretty much bashed anyone who doesn't agree with you, IIRC, and been fairly abrasive regardless of your name.

This is just a :new: wrinkle, for you.

[ November 11, 2009, 02:51 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
quote:
Now, that definitely I've noticed, then and now. Its connection to post count, though, is sort of an incidental necessity, and sometimes is overcome very quickly. Sometimes very slowly, and sometimes never.
I wasn't welcomed with open arms, but that was because people thought I was an alt of someone who wasn't very well though of, due to the timing of my first postings. Also, I sorta jumped right in with long postings right away.

But I never expected everyone to be warm and fuzzy all the time. I'd rather post at a place where people take the time to get to know you, where opinions are known as opinions rather than fact (and it called a fact a citation can be asked for) than be in a forum that completely welcomes everyone equally regardless of their contributions to the community.

Post count doesn't mean squat to anyone I know who matters, not in and of itself. I MAY mean something relating to time/effort spent on the community, but even that varies on a case by case basis.

Anyone can run up 1000 posts in a few months if content doesn't matter. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Let's be honest; there's a whole lot of dick measuring that takes place around here when it comes to post count...
*laugh* No, there isn't.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I apparently passed 10000 posts sometime recently. I didn't notice it until y'all started talking about post counts.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Let's be honest; there's a whole lot of dick measuring that takes place around here when it comes to post count

I guess you're right. I saw how many posts I've made here, and my dick shrank.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Let's be honest; there's a whole lot of dick measuring that takes place around here when it comes to post count...
*laugh* No, there isn't.
Yes there is Tom, and frankly I'm sick of ghost writing for you, just so you can sit on top of a disgusting 30k post count. I'm tired of it Tom! I won't be your slave anymore. There, I've said it, your secret's out and now everyone knows what a fraud you are!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Let's be honest; there's a whole lot of dick measuring that takes place around here when it comes to post count

I guess you're right. I saw how many posts I've made here, and my dick shrank.
So now you have an inny?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Its not hard to get a 30K post count when 90% of them are one liners.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
What you say!!
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I really think that if the post-count *ahem* measurements were as bad as you say, I'd at least agree that some of that was going on. But I am honestly baffled at that impression. That could be just my own impression, though, since I've never cared about post counts at all, either when I started and had a low count, or now that I've been around awhile.

I really don't see where you're getting this impression from, SiyE. I think it might be in your head.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well obviously. Everyone knows that people with low postcounts also have bad personal hygiene, low IQs, and - most important in this context - persecution/victimhood complexes.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Yeah, but we're not s'posed to say so!
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

I think you guys missed my point. Or maybe you just proved it.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Oh, proved it how?

ETA: Because, y'know, I feel pretty confident that 900, 9, or 90000 posts to your name, the complaints about post-count ego stroking would have been greeted with much the same response.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:

Doing some guestimation, assuming it takes about 10 seconds for a post from Tom to appear after hitting the submit button, and even if we say all his posts took 5 seconds to write out, that's 1,500,000 seconds of time, or 25,000 minutes, or 416.66 hours of time.

Not a tiny feat IMHO.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think you guys missed my point. Or maybe you just proved it.

here, how about a serious post:

this thread does not take postcounts very seriously at all. It is actually definitely not a community where postcount matters very much. You can take my word for it. There are no titles associated with post level. There are nearly no associations about how a higher post count confers upon a poster a more privileged status. The only person I have seen do that here in a long long time is Ron Lambert, and Ron Lambert is a crazy person who practically nobody listens to. Prior to today there had not been any active postwhoring threads (the last one had been the last post thread, if i recall) on the front page for a long time, and the one that was just made was made in jest. I am right now watching people with nearly no posts ingrain themselves seamlessly into the community with nary a word of concern. You need to re-analyze what you're asserting about this forum because for all its issues, postcount heirarchy is not one of them.

the end.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Seriously this forum doesn't even bother to point out that someone is a <insert variant of newbie/new poster here>. hardly ever ever ever.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Fairness addendum:

Veterans do tend to be a little stern with new (or apparently new) members sometimes, but as far as I can tell it's only when/because they are acting juvenile, trollish, or otherwise sending signals that they aren't interested in learning and working around the community norms. This can be a little baffling if the standards are ones that aren't generally met even by veterans, but it's still a pretty well intentioned effort to keep things civil and interesting here - not a an effort to shame or exclude new people for spite.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Yeah, but we're not s'posed to say so!

Well, you know how I feel about that sort of social falsehood. You're not supposed to point out that theists have no clothes, either, but I often do.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Absolutely. It's 100% a "who is this guy" response related to an unknown quantity acting ridiculously, not postcount-heirarchism or community xenophobia or anything.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:

Doing some guestimation, assuming it takes about 10 seconds for a post from Tom to appear after hitting the submit button, and even if we say all his posts took 5 seconds to write out, that's 1,500,000 seconds of time, or 25,000 minutes, or 416.66 hours of time.

Not a tiny feat IMHO.

Yes, but Tom has been posting regularly here for 10+ years. 1.5 million seconds is less than 0.5% of 10 years.

You, on the other hand, have been here only half that long and have nearly 10,000 posts, most of which aren't one liners. I'd be willing to bet that if we counted words/day rather than total posts you'd beat Tom hands down.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.