FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » computerized testing sucks....met with the Vice President of Health and Science yest (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: computerized testing sucks....met with the Vice President of Health and Science yest
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, Angel does seem to operate very much like an electronic version of scantrons. I actually proctored a distance learning exam test two days ago and the student was using Angel. I didn't get too good of a look at it, but it's definitely not a service I would choose to use. But, whatever works I suppose. Congrats on passing!
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
It is actually more than 12%. # previously possible to be discriminated ~1750, number with your approach now possible to be discriminated ~2000. An increase of a bit over 12% (actually, nearly 15).

And your numbers are predicated on a fairly large number of questions answered in this way, plus the students being capable of answering them accurately from the beginning of the semester. If you run your simulation with even moderate student error as to their probability assessments, you'll find that variation dominates over whether or not they're actually about right.

As for the benefits listed, you can teach those things in many ways other than scoring systems, and certainly using logit scoring.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that's the right way to calculate the increase; if some method had only two students' overlap (in, say, ten thousand), and another had ten but was far easier to explain, would you be impressed by the 500% increase in the effect of variance?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
After almost 6 weeks since meeting with the Dean of the nursing problem, nothing has been done to either address my grades OR to prevent this from happening again.

I was told today that best case possible is that I go thought an official grievance process, which will take at LEAST 3 weeks, and IF I win they make me take ANOTHER TEST, 2-3 months after the class has ended.

I responded by threatening to notify all 19 students who have flunked out this year of the problems, and offering to testify for them against the school if necessary.

They are now taking me seriously, and I meet with the Dean of the entire Health and Human Services on Tuesday.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Crap. It looked promising at first. I hope they do something this time. They probably figured you'd give up at some point...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I met with the Vice-President of the Health and Science department yesterday, and he was very interested in what happened. He is looking into it, and I am far more confident he will actually look into it and get back to me.

I also addressed the entire system, and told him I felt the process was punitive to any student who attempted to use it. He agreed, and said that even if I retest, he would not support any system that would result in a lower grade than the original one.

And he was most interested in the lack of communication between the teachers, the teachers and the administration, and with the students in general. I'd say that bothered him almost as much as it bothered me.

I showed up on Tuesday about 10 min early, and was told my appointment with him was on Wed. I showed up Wed and was told it had been on Tuesday. Sometimes I just can't win....so I asked for the Presidents number and office number, and offered to walk over and wait for him.

They arraigned for me to see the Vice-President within the hour. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.