FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Arguements (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Arguements
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Feer:
Evolution comes from mutation. The fish that has a mutated fin alowing it to go faster through that water, a human having an extra finger to type fast on a computer and get a better job, so he doesnt die off and he can pass his extra finger gene mutation

That's sort of the gist of it. It would help if you were to add in an account of unhelpful mutations as well, since the mutations themselves are random.

It is only within context that they become helpful or unhelpful, and if you change the context, you may well change the helpfulness (or hinderance).

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

- posted      Profile for Feer   Email Feer         Edit/Delete Post 
May I hear the conflict none the less?
Posts: 160 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

a mutation of a fish so it cant swim faster, would ultimatly lead to the death of that fish and the bad mutated gene.
Posts: 160 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Evolution comes from mutation.
Not true. New mutations come from mutation (heh. How's that for a useless tautology), but that only becomes evolution if that new mutation is passed down and helps the descendants survive.

A good example of evolution without mutation is the peppered moth. They come in two colors; light and dark. 200 years ago, the light colored ones were far more common, because those who were dark tended to get eaten quicker and didn't pass on their genes as much.

As pollution from the industrial revolution in England got worse, and things started getting covered with soot, the white ones started getting eaten sooner, and there was a shift in the genetics of the moth. Many more were dark, with the light ones in the minority.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

Ok so evolution is possible through mutations, but not from mutations?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, no. At least, I don't think so. But I don't really understand what you said.

Mutations can cause new genotypes to appear in the population. That's not necessarily evolution, but it could cause it to happen if those genotypes confer some sort of benefit.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
I don't see a conflict between a figurative interpretation of the Christian Bible and the scientific theory of evolution. I do see a conflict between a literal interpretation of the CB and the theory, but I am neither a believer myself nor a literalist, so it doesn't cause me any consternation myself.

quote:
May I hear the conflict none the less?

Well, first off, tell me about your understanding of how Genesis describes the origin of the world. Which of the two stories of origination do you reference, and why that one -- or, if both, where do you think there might be a conflict between the two?
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

Thats about what I was saying. That withou Mutations evolution wouldnt happen.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Evolution comes from mutation. The fish that has a mutated fin alowing it to go faster through that water, a human having an extra finger to type fast on a computer and get a better job, so he doesnt die off and he can pass his extra finger gene mutation
That's the start of it. As CT said, though (and Scott alluded to), mutations that do not offer an advantage aren't evolution. It's only when the mutation offers enough of an advantage to give the creature with the mutation an edge over the creature without it that it becomes evolution.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Thats about what I was saying. That withou Mutations evolution wouldnt happen.

Like I said earlier, I disagree.

Did you read the page I liked to about the peppered moth? That was clear example of evolution happening without any mutation.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by steven:
"^^ now c.t.t.n could have been masking her homework phishing attempt with a poll, but who can know these things?"

c.t.t.n. is my alt. Last I checked, I'm male.

I usually go with "he" when I am unsure, and this time I went with my instinct, apologies for guessing wrong. [Smile]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

Was it not mutation that the peppered moth was a darker color?
Feer
Member # 9846

I see it as god made the earth, and made animals to evolve.
is that what you asked claudia?

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
I see it as god made the earth, and made animals to evolve.
is that what you asked claudia?

Ah. There are two different Genesis stories, and they differ in some (possibly) important ways. Would you like a link to read about them?
Feer
Member # 9846

If you are talking about the King james and the Jerusalem Bible i have read them. but if you arn't then I would like the link.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I think she means that in the book of Genesis, there are two different creation stories (or parts of two stories) sort of smushed together. And they don't entirely match up.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, now we're getting somewhere. *removes sarcastic asshat cap*

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
quote:
That's the start of it. As CT said, though (and Scott alluded to), mutations that do not offer an advantage aren't evolution. It's only when the mutation offers enough of an advantage to give the creature with the mutation an edge over the creature without it that it becomes evolution.
Not exactly. I would argue that both genetic drift and harmful mutations are an example of evolution (or, to be more precise, natural selection) in action. In both cases, you have change in genotype, and certainly in the latter case you have a change in phenotype as well. Genetic drift itself can lead to phenotypic variation, although if the variation is more or less neutral in terms of survival and fecundity, natural selection obviously won't push it one way or the other. Regardless, all of this comes out of the process of evolution through the mechanism of natural selection.

quote:
Originally posted by mph:
quote:

Like I said earlier, I disagree.

Did you read the page I liked to about the peppered moth? That was clear example of evolution happening without any mutation.

Not quite- the two peppered moth phenotypes are themselves the result of mutations that occurred in the distant past. The prevalence of the white phenotype prior to the Industrial Revolution was itself the result of natural selection; the change in the ratio of black-to-white phenotypes afterwards is another.

As for whether evolution can result in speciation, as usual, the most concise response is a link to talk.origins' "Observed Instances of Speciation" page, which lists a number of cases in which speciation occurred, and provides the appropriate citations to the scientific literature.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Was it not mutation that the peppered moth was a darker color?

No. Did you even bother to read my link?

Before the industrial revolution, there were already light and dark moths. The evolution was that before, the dark moths were very rare, like albinoism is very rare in most animals. After the change in their environment, about 90% of them were dark moths.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
If you are talking about the King james and the Jerusalem Bible i have read them. but if you arn't then I would like the link.

No, not the difference between the Catholic translation of the Christian Bible and the KJ version. Many consider there to be two separate accounts of creation in Genesis, a.k.a. the "Priestly" and the "Jahwist" accounts: See here.

If you want to talk about how Genesis might be in contrast to evolution, it's good to make sure you know what each is first.

Also, does the distinction between "literal" and "figurative" interpretations make sense to you? If you aren't familiar with the terms, they would be worth looking up.

---

Edited to add: I'll step back for awhile while you work on evolution.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would argue that both genetic drift and harmful mutations are an example of evolution (or, to be more precise, natural selection) in action.
How are harmful mutations an example of natural selection? That seems counterintuitive (which doesn't mean it can't be true, I'm just asking for clarification).
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

I did read the link i know the story. How do you get 2 moths of different colors? one had to have had a mutated gene that changed the color. and that gene was passed on.

so like Tarrsk later natural selection came along and played its part in evolution.

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... It's only when the mutation offers enough of an advantage to give the creature with the mutation an edge over the creature without it that it becomes evolution.

As a helpful addendum, it is interesting to note that while most conceive of evolution as happening on the level of (populations of) individual organisms, this viewpoint is not unanimous.
Some (including me) find it helpful to also view evolution as occurring on the level of (populations of) genes, when looking at "junk" DNA, transposons, and so forth.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
quote:

No, not the difference between the Catholic translation of the Christian Bible and the KJ version. Many consider there to be two separate accounts of creation in Genesis, a.k.a. the "Priestly" and the "Jahwist" accounts: See here.

If you want to talk about how Genesis might be in contrast to evolution, it's good to make sure you know what each is first.

Also, does the distinction between "literal" and "figurative" interpretations make sense to you? If you aren't familiar with the terms, they would be worth looking up.

---

Edited to add: I'll step back for awhile while you work on evolution.

I was basing it off of KJV, i hadnt even thought of those others.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
How do you get 2 moths of different colors? one had to have had a mutated gene that changed the color.
Well, if you assume that all genetic variation is the result of random mutation, then of course the different colors of moth come from mutation.
Tarrsk
Member # 332

quote:
quote:
I would argue that both genetic drift and harmful mutations are an example of evolution (or, to be more precise, natural selection) in action.
How are harmful mutations an example of natural selection? That seems counterintuitive (which doesn't mean it can't be true, I'm just asking for clarification).
Natural selection isn't just the elevation of populations with higher fitness- it's also the concurrent reduction in populations with *lower* fitness. Harmful mutations are one example of the latter. For example, a mutation in a fish that results in a slightly slower average swimming speed might not impair it enough to prevent it from breeding entirely, but could prove enough of a liability that it (and its progeny) are less reproductively successful than their normal-speed compatriots.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
How do you get 2 moths of different colors? one had to have had a mutated gene that changed the color.
Well, if you assume that all genetic variation is the result of random mutation, then of course the different colors of moth come from mutation.
If you can propose another mechanism for generating genetic variability, I'd like to hear it.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Gene splicing is one.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:
quote:
quote:
Natural selection isn't just the elevation of populations with higher fitness- it's also the concurrent reduction in populations with *lower* fitness. Harmful mutations are one example of the latter. For example, a mutation in a fish that results in a slightly slower average swimming speed might not impair it enough to prevent it from breeding entirely, but could prove enough of a liability that it (and its progeny) are less reproductively successful than their normal-speed compatriots.
Okay. It's the less discussed side of natural selection, i.e. less heritable traits reproducing less successfully. Gotcha.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

In a discussion about Genesis vs. Origin of the species, you can't just assume that everybody already agrees on how and if evolution happens.

Even some of the most staunch anti-evolutionists can concede that evolution of the type we see in the peppered moth happens. We've seen it happen. It's almost impossible to refute.

But those same people are not necessarily convinced that random mutation could cause the complexity we see in the natural world. In fact, that's one of the big Intelligent Design arguments.

One reason why it's not as persuasive is that we haven't observed, as it happened, that all of the genetic variation that exists was caused by random mutation.

There are people who believe that God created the species, complete with genetic variation, within the last 10,000 years, and that they've slowly changed since then.

Feer
Member # 9846

So what is your view? where do you stand in this?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
There are people who believe that God created the species, complete with genetic variation, within the last 10,000 years, and that they've slowly changed since then.
I don't recall offhand if you're one of those people, Porter, but I wonder if you know how they explain the fossil record? If you're not in that group of people, you don't need to speculate on their behalf on my account -- I'm sure someone will come along to explain it. I just thought you might know.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I really don't stand anywhere. At least not strongly.

I used to believe, as I said in the edit of my last post, that God created the species, and then let them run free and slightly evolve from there.

I'm not married to that idea anymore. As I said before, the earth certainly appears to be much older than Genesis would lead us to believe. I think it's probably an error to take that part of Genesis literally, but I'm not positive. Perhaps God purposely made the world to appear much older than it is, but I doubt it. Perhaps we're really misinterpreting the physical evidence, but I don't know enough about any of the fields to even make a WAG.

[Dont Know]

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
I think it's probably an error to take that part of Genesis literally, but I'm not positive.
This is what I thought when I was in high school (read: more religious).
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
I was basing it off of KJV, i hadnt even thought of those others.

Both of those stories of creation are in the KJV.
Feer
Member # 9846

Then i need to reread KJV, becuase i have no recolection.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

No worries. [Smile]
Feer
Member # 9846

quote:
Perhaps God purposely made the world to appear much older than it is, but I doubt it.

Why not? IF the main reason we are down here is to be tested why not throw tricky questions to test faith?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
quote:
I think it's probably an error to take that part of Genesis literally, but I'm not positive.
This is what I thought when I was in high school (read: more religious).
As opposed to (read: a whiney punk like Porteiro)? [Wink]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Why not? IF the main reason we are down here is to be tested why not throw tricky questions to test faith?

How does this test faith? (*curious about your answer, given that you've said you don't see a conflict)
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I don't recall offhand if you're one of those people, Porter, but I wonder if you know how they explain the fossil record? If you're not in that group of people, you don't need to speculate on their behalf on my account -- I'm sure someone will come along to explain it. I just thought you might know.
One speculation is that the dating methods we have (such as carbon14) are completely wrong, and that those are all the remains of creatures who became extinct with the great flood.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
quote:
Perhaps God purposely made the world to appear much older than it is, but I doubt it.

While I concede that this is possible, it doesn't really mesh well with my (admittedly very limited) understanding of God. That's why I doubt that explanation, but don't outright reject it.
Feer
Member # 9846

People everywhere take evolution over god. They're faith in god is gone. It lets people have a chance to choose god over something else. If there where no fossils then there would be less of a choice of what to believe in. thus making the test easier.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really don't stand anywhere. At least not strongly.

I used to believe, as I said in the edit of my last post, that God created the species, and then let them run free and slightly evolve from there.

I'm not married to that idea anymore. As I said before, the earth certainly appears to be much older than Genesis would lead us to believe. I think it's probably an error to take that part of Genesis literally, but I'm not positive. Perhaps God purposely made the world to appear much older than it is, but I doubt it. Perhaps we're really misinterpreting the physical evidence, but I don't know enough about any of the fields to even make a WAG.

[Dont Know]

Sounds like we're in the same boat. I used to be one of the "microevolution but not macroevolution" types. It was actually a course in historical linguistics that made me change my mind (or opened my mind to the possibility, anyway).
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
It lets people have a chance to choose god over something else.

So, if I understand you correctly, having some evidence (even if "faked" by God) that supports a non-God-centered origin of the world is important to facillitate free will. Moreover, that it is the facillitation of free will which leads to a test of faith. Yes?

(I'm not setting you up -- just trying to understand.)

Feer
Member # 9846

Yes, the will to chose something over god is a test of faith.

If of corse that we are here to be tested.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
People everywhere take evolution over god. They're faith in god is gone. It lets people have a chance to choose god over something else. If there where no fossils then there would be less of a choice of what to believe in.
First of all, I think that evolution vs. God is a false dichotomy -- there is no need to choose only one or the other.

Also, there were thousands of years of people on this earth who didn't even have a chance to choose evolution. Do you think that their faith suffered as a result?

Feer
Member # 9846

Just becuase there is no need to choose either does not mean they do chose one over the other.

I think that they may have had different tests of they're faith.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, the will to chose something over god is a test of faith.

If of corse that we are here to be tested.

Sooooo not the reason I think God created us.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

I'm all ears Boots [Smile]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(By the way, thanks for sticking with the conversation, Feer. It's nice to get to know you.

And in case it hadn't been said before, welcome to Hatrack. [Smile] )

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.