FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gender Roles and Sex in History (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Gender Roles and Sex in History
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Or [Kiss] no one, since you won't be dependent on interactions with people to get your fix.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to mention the dopamine issue, but I see that it's already been addressed. [Smile]

The other thing I wanted to mention is that in males, ejaculation and orgasm are not always co-requisites, which is a distinction I haven't seen anyone draw in this thread yet.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that, twinky.

I suppose I will just say that there are a lot of things my personal experience that make many of the "this is the way it is" posts in this thread soooo incredibly funny.

But I have to leave it that, because this thread is, in places, already dancing on the edge of not-so-family-friendly.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto what Olivet said, although I will say it is definitely possible for females to orgasm during erotic dreams.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is indeed hilarious.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hilarious but good too I think.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that. [Wink]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I decided I'd keep the snark to a minimum, however much deserved it might have been.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the thread has been explicit enough that if the house shakes, your partner ends up with bloody nailmarks on his back, and you see waves crashing every time you have sex, you can say so.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Fair enough. I've erased-without-posting several things so far in this thread.

Added: Before kat's post! Before!

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
I think the thread has been explicit enough that if the house shakes, your partner ends up with bloody nailmarks on his back, and you see waves crashing every time you have sex, you can say so.
At this point, all the women should procure their hot, steamy anecdotes, filled with euphemisms for "penis." Then pH can change the title of the thread to Passion in the Fiery Distance, and we can sell the thread as a romance novel.

Edit, to ElJay: [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

ElJay, that gave me the first genuine laugh out loud of the day. Thank you. [Big Grin]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Oh, hey, I have no stories whatsoever.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Now do you kids really want to get me started?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Big Grin]
ElJay
Member # 6358

I saw that, too!
katharina
Member # 827

I'm trying so hard to be good. All things considered, it shouldn't be this difficult. [Eek!]
ElJay
Member # 6358

*grin*

I feel like I used to when I'd see one of Sara's naughty comments before she edited it away.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
And I would just start getting all weepy and sentimental again.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Blushing] I'm not being naughty.

Sorry to de(re?)rail the discussion. Yes? We were talking about societal perceptions?

ElJay
Member # 6358

I know. But it's a question of degree, ya know? What's a little naughty from some people would be downright shocking from others.
katharina
Member # 827

I'm afraid what I did post would not live up to what it sounds like I might have posted. I'll remember that, though, and be careful. [Smile]
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't had the nailmarks. I have the longest nails in the family, and I keep them trimmed fairly short.

Have felt my ribs bend, though.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I decline to comment concerning nail marks, bite marks, or hickeys.

And you can't prove anything.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
And you can't prove anything.
Chat logs don't lie. [Taunt]

I think the worst I've had is feeling like my neck was going to snap. Mispositioned my head at a bad time.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had my eyes roll in the back of my head. That was pretty freaky and,uh, awe inspiring.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay..... so is everyone sharing funny stories or what?
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Or what.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
What is that supposed to mean?
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

That we are not sharing any explicit stories, and that we are sharing personal experience at all only insofar as it relates to the discussion at hand, which is about social perceptions. [Smile]
Advent 115
Member # 8914

hmmm, I guess that I can understand that.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the original subject of the thread:

I think that tougher punishments for women guilty of adultry are a natural consequence of the practice of property being handed down from parents to their (legitimate) children.

This is a very important social institution, and if it breaks down, it causes a lot of chaos.

If a man strays and fathers children, it doesn't make much of a difference for peaceful inheritance, since bastard children don't inherit anything.

But if a woman strays and this is known, then her children's inheritance is in doubt. Wars have been fought because a prince's paternity is in doubt because of his mother's affairs.

It's not fair, but infidelity by women had much more severe potential problems than similar infidelity by men, so it made a certain kind of sense for the punishment to be worse for women than for men.

[ February 02, 2006, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
since bastard children don't inherit anything.
I'll have to ask Dag to confirm this, but I'm almost positive this varies from state to state: I don't think California, for example, recognizes the concept of bastardry.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
California wasn't around when these "Ancient Laws" were created. [Wink]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
. . .so it made a certain kind of sense for the punishment to be worse for women than for me.

Typo of the day!
beverly
Member # 6246

Ho ho! I didn't catch that one!
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Happy to bring it to your attention. [Smile]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Bev is right. I'm thinking of back in the days of feudalism.

I'm not saying that the laws make any sense today, but that they served a real purpose back in the day.

Also, somtimes a typo is just a typo. [Razz]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Ah - the way you phrased it made it sound like you were talking about the current world.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Again, the reason why stricter punishments on women for adultery don't make sense to me is BECAUSE of the nature of property laws. We punish those who take things unlawfully from us. We don't punish the things that are taken.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Or the old zinger, "When a man says 'I love you' in bed, he really means 'I love this.'"
[ROFL] [No No]
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I also think some of the reasoning lay with the view that virginity was a commodity.

This attitude meant that a woman's sexuality (or the act of sex) was valuable while a man's was not: so the only harm done in adultery etc was the harm to the woman's virtue/the property of that women's virtue.

While a lot of that is related to inheritance of property, I think it goes further than that to the more underlying view of women as property.

For example, there's no reason inheritance-wise why a woman would have to be a virgin before marriage (any children born before would be illegitimate and unable to inherit).

Ack. My post is worded badly but my brain won't fix it.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
For example, there's no reason inheritance-wise why a woman would have to be a virgin before marriage (any children born before would be illegitimate and unable to inherit).
That's not true. If a woman was known to have a lover up to the marriage, and then had a honeymoon baby, that child's paternity would be in serious doubt. And potentially being the eldest child, that could cause serious problems.

Just the fact that she had taken a lover before marriage would raise doubts as to her children's paternity. After all, some people would reason, if she took a lover before, she's likely to have done it again.

After all, it's not the fact that the child is legitimate that was important -- it was the belief that the child was legitimate. As long as everybody believed it was legitimate, there weren't problems. But if people thought it very will might be a bastard, then there were potential problems.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Which is why matrilineal inheritance makes so much more sense.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
True blacwolve. [Smile]

Porter, I hadn't thought of the whole "honeymoon" baby thing.

As regards to the taken a lover before more likely to take again I would suggest this attitude [Edit: and the censorious approach to such behavior] is linked more to a direct value placed on a woman's chastity and fidelity (as a object, not an attribute) rather than inheritance issues.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I wonder, though, could viewing a woman's chastity and fidelity as objects have grown out of inheritance issues? Which cultural concept came first?

I assume most people believe these days that societies started out more matriarchal and only became patriarchal as it was "discovered" that sex with a man is the only way to start the reproductive process.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Which is why matrilineal inheritance makes so much more sense.
Actually, I'm not convinced people should have the right to pass their estates down to their children at all. But I agree that matrilineal inheritance would have removed a lot of problems.

But then, there society needs to have some method of distributing the wealth of the deceased. I suppose that the children have as much innate right to it (none) as anybody else.

Beverly -- I doubt there has ever been a society of what we would consider humans that didn't already know how babies are made.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there's a tribe in New Guinea that for a time (up till the late 19th century, I believe) appeared to be ignorant of just that. I wish I could remember the name. However, there's no way to determine for sure what they believed, since the tribe has become "modernised."

EDIT: And the debate also entends to a particular group of Australian aborigines.

I'm really sorry I don't have details, we covered this in class on Tuesday but I was not paying close attention.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

(to Porter) Well, you and I believe that to be the case, certainly. But I have heard the idea put forward many times that the worship of the divine feminine began during a time when the connection between sex and birth was not understood, and that when the connection became clear, things moved more towards a patriarchal society. Maybe I'm wrong, though.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I don't see why it's certain that I would believe that. At least, not on religious grounds.

I just have a hard time believing that a society of people that are sentient would realize that babies come from sex.

But the, Eaquae, I've been wrong before. The fact that I can't imagine something doesn't keep it from being true.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.