FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fuzzy Sweater Feminism (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Fuzzy Sweater Feminism
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But the man could choose to be the one who stays home and takes care of the baby.
In some states, there are laws that make this technically illegal. Although they are probably not enforceable.

There was a SCOTUS case that struck down a vagrancy law that included "persons able to work but habitually living upon the earnings of their wives or minor children" as criminal vagrants. The law was not struck down because of this phrase, but for vagueness arising out of the entire definition.

Many other statutes, some of which have not been specifically struck down, include this type of restriction.

As I said, I doubt it would stand up to a challenge today, but it makes it clear the extent of the structural discouragement of fathers as primary child caregivers.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I never knew that.

Papa Moose better watch out. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I never knew that, but this would conflict with Clinton's family leave act, no?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've also been personally threatened with honor charges (an offense that carries expulsion as the only penalty) for advertising a speech by a pro-life feminist as "A Feminist Perspective on Abortion," a title selected by the person giving the speech.
Of course it should be noted that this threat would have to be 100% empty, because it is not anywhere close to being lying, cheating, or stealing - at least until they get the votes to change the honor code into a hate speech witch hunt. (And Jefferson will be spinning in his grave if that ever happens.)
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Good question, Ic -

Dags?

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I never knew that, but this would conflict with Clinton's family leave act, no?
It's very likely these laws couldn't meet a constitutional challenge. I doubt the family medical leave act would be the reason for it though - the leave act is clearly temporary.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Temporary leave, that is - not a temporary act, no? [Wink]

Nathan and I were visiting a wildlife refuge the other day, and in the gift shop found this particular book ( She's Wearing a Dead Bird on Her Head! ).

I am sure these ladies were considered "strident" during their hey-day - which dove-tailed (no pun intended) with the women's right to vote movement, too.

But for all you equal opportunists [Big Grin] , this excellent children's book (the illustrations are great!) lays out not only the condition of some women (I say some, because this book obviously deals with white, upper-class/well-off women versus the poor and working-class women), but also their way of dealing with an ecological concern and being heard and that they both acknowledged and accepted the need for the assistance of the powerbrokers - their husbands and other men.

We've come a long way, baby . . . or have we?

[ September 27, 2005, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.